Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Registered Childminder since
    Nov 200
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Really struggling to find a way that works :(

As the heading says, im really struggling to find a format that works and doesnt take too much time and effort.

Ive started doing learning journeys firstly using ring binders, then folders, then binding my own book but my head is swimmimg with it all. I have no problem with the rest of my paperwork so much so that i often help out other minders in that area BUT i just cant get my head around learning journeys.

None of the ones ive got now are up to date and to be honest ive really lost my motivation with them. I had my ofsted last november so hopefully noone will be out checking soon.

I have booked myself on a couple of courses to help with the new 2012 version of the eyfs but feel if i cant get my head round this how will i understand the new one !

I had thought of restarting them from scratch using scrap books, putting lots of photos and art work in, with stickers linking to the eyfs and some (not many) obs - what do you think ?

Do you think if i did this i should backdate them or just start from now ?

help i have no problem observing children and linking verbally and in my head but the problem comes when i try to document it. I think sometimes i try to do too much and make it harder for myself

sept 04
    Latest Inspection Grade
    good
    Post Thanks / Like

I probably wouldn't back date. I had the same problem as yourself swapping and changing the way to do the folders, printing photos that I didn't need. the answer to my problem was Sarah Ebook it minimised my work load - I printed off 3 months of the contents of what I wanted to use in the LJ and stuck with it after the 3 months if I decided I wanted to try something else I varied the next 3 months. x
    CWR

Oct 97
    Post Thanks / Like

Over the years my learning journals have changed as I have experimented with different books and styles of observing, I can't see the sense in re doing what you have already done, that's just causing unnecessary work.
    I'd carry on where you left off but with your new chosen style, it doesn't matter if you change style the important thing is you use your observations to support the child in their learning.

I used windows to create a little box, couple of lines for observation, couple of lines linking in development matters and couple of lines next steps. I deliberately made them small to stop me writing loads as with 10 lj's to do I couldn't possibly keep it up. I draw different coloured smiley faces to link to areas of learning but only do observation on one area.

Each piece of work, photo or obs must be of use or I don't add it, I add nice photos and pieces of work not used in lj to daily diary where I don't link to areas of learning.

Definetly try Sarah's e books, lots of good recommendations on this site.

I think you are better off starting with the minimum you can manage and build on from that rather than starting off really fancy and not being able to maintain it.

Nov 200
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

I think thats where ive gone wrong ive tried to make everything look really nice and do as much as i can but in doing so ive made it really hard work for myself

Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Keep it simple!

Obs (from you, child, parents, other settings) -> assessments (links to EYFS and thoughts bout what the child has learned, is doing, saying etc) -> individual next steps planning -> obs

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Tily Bud View Post
    I think thats where ive gone wrong ive tried to make everything look really nice and do as much as i can but in doing so ive made it really hard work for myself
    I think it's all too easy to try and put too much into it - I've done this myself but it's hard to keep up when you've lots of Eyfs children.

I think you have to accept that you cannot record everything or you would have volumes by the time the child reached school so learn to cherry pick what you record and, as SArah has already said, keep it simple!

Miffy xx
    Keep smiling!

June 95
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Non childminder member
    childminder
    Post Thanks / Like

It all sounds so simple when others say it but i still find it hard and now we're got a new set of rules coming in.Not like the good old days of childminding

Nov 200
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Dragonfly View Post
    It all sounds so simple when others say it but i still find it hard and now we're got a new set of rules coming in.Not like the good old days of childminding
    My thoughts exactly ! I am fine doing it verbally and in my head its when it comes down to putting it on paper

Going to spend some time later hopefully sorting it xx

Nov 00
    Latest Inspection Grade
    GOOD
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Tily Bud View Post
    As the heading says, im really struggling to find a format that works and doesnt take too much time and effort.

Ive started doing learning journeys firstly using ring binders, then folders, then binding my own book but my head is swimmimg with it all. I have no problem with the rest of my paperwork so much so that i often help out other minders in that area BUT i just cant get my head around learning journeys.

None of the ones ive got now are up to date and to be honest ive really lost my motivation with them. I had my ofsted last november so hopefully noone will be out checking soon.

I have booked myself on a couple of courses to help with the new 2012 version of the eyfs but feel if i cant get my head round this how will i understand the new one !

I had thought of restarting them from scratch using scrap books, putting lots of photos and art work in, with stickers linking to the eyfs and some (not many) obs - what do you think ?

Do you think if i did this i should backdate them or just start from now ?

help i have no problem observing children and linking verbally and in my head but the problem comes when i try to document it. I think sometimes i try to do too much and make it harder for myself
    I went through this a couple of years ago and started to panic-i was losing sleep and suddenly decided to start from scratch;I too hadnt long had an inspection and although it doesnt sound good,i ditched a lot of stuff and started again;it was the only way I could get my head round it all. Rather than Learning Journals,I have Evidence books-I buy them fromSS Services(online) and theyre bigger than most scrap books so you can put bigger pieces of work in.Each page holds 4 6x4 photos.In these books I put photos-of children doing arts and crafts that they have taken home(as evidence that they did actually make them-some parents are sceptics
    sometimes!),outings,activities or just playing and having fun. I try to add a little sentence or caption to each photo as well as a sort of explanation.I put in any pieces of artwork,handwriting etc.Then I add links to the EYFS-but only very briefly. I do make an effort with these books as I know that if I had a child at a childminders,I would love to have something like it to keep.
    Observations are kept in a different folder,and,if poss,I link them to any photos in the evidence books.
    Remember-reflective practise is a good thing!!

Post Thanks / Like

I use the folders with plastic wallets already in, I mount mainly photos a couple of tiny obs on a4 sugar paper to make it bright and attractive to the kids and put in in date order, I don't put in artwork, that hoes home, I just take a pic of it and put that in instead.