Likes Likes:  1
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Registered Childminder since
    Latest Inspection Grade
    GOOD
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Taking" non paying" parents to court

Hello,
    After some problems happening since January with a family I am still waiting for my money .
    To keep it short I had to give a family 4 weeks notice in Jan ( I posted some messages about it on this website at the time and got good help).
    The reason I gave notice is because the mum lost it one day and shouted at me during pick up ( if she had a knife in her hand she would have killed me ),
    All of that because child came in with contagious illness ( didn't tell me ) and I said she should have told me.
    Anyway I gave notice and they never came back and refused to pay the £450 for the notice period .
    It has now been more than 3 months although dad promised about 5 times that he will bring the money but don't . Today I texted reminding about money and his reply was a" thumb up emoji".
    We have now about 5 texts with promises and no show.
    I thought the thumb up was enough and I decided to go to small claim court. I know it will cost me.

Also on my contract it says clearly I charge £10 per day for late payment which is 100 days)
    I was thinking of first giving a message saying if they don't pay the £450 I take them to small claim and also charge the late fees.
    Sorry for long post
    I hate money problem and think 3 months wait is enough
    Thanks for any advice
    Last edited by v 1461; 02-05-2019 at 05:32 PM.

Nov 10
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

Have you taken legal advise? Are you with Pacey? Good luck with it, it is hard to know when it is best to persevere and when to just move on. I hope you get some good professional advise.

Latest Inspection Grade
    GOOD
    Post Thanks / Like

Hello Moggy,
    I am with " childcare co.uk" and they are good with advice. I talked to them in Jan when it happened and mum yelled at me and they are the one who advised me to give them notice .
    I didn't think they would not give me the money they owed me .
    Legal advice has already all details from Jan and Ofsted has been informed instantly.
    Now the court case will be a second step and I haven't talk to legal advice about it.
    Don't know if it's straight forward or not ( should be easy as I have the contract ).
    Thanks

Nov 13
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

I hadn’t realised childcare.co.uk gave free ongoing legal advice. I thought it was a 30 min phone consultation for gold members and then after that they would give you a quote (which it seems is quite competitively priced.) That’s a great step forward for Childcare.co.uk.

I have read so many times in this forum that parents do not pay once you have given them notice, in fact this is the dilemma and expectation usually when childminders do so.
    There are not many parents that pay if the child doesn’t continue to attend, no matter what it says in the contract.
    The Legal advisors usually give you the wording to use right at the start and often suggest you do not interact with the client unless it’s something they have approved and worded.

I wouldn’t do anything else now without following explicit steps from a legal advisor who has read through your contract.

5. Likes moggy liked this post
    Latest Inspection Grade
    GOOD
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by FloraDora View Post
    I hadn’t realised childcare.co.uk gave free ongoing legal advice. I thought it was a 30 min phone consultation for gold members and then after that they would give you a quote (which it seems is quite competitively priced.) That’s a great step forward for Childcare.co.uk.

I have read so many times in this forum that parents do not pay once you have given them notice, in fact this is the dilemma and expectation usually when childminders do so.
    There are not many parents that pay if the child doesn’t continue to attend, no matter what it says in the contract.
    The Legal advisors usually give you the wording to use right at the start and often suggest you do not interact with the client unless it’s something they have approved and worded.

I wouldn’t do anything else now without following explicit steps from a legal advisor who has read through your contract.
    Thank you for the advice !