About to start the registration process..... HELP!!!
Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  1
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Non childminder member
    business.
    Post Thanks / Like

Smile About to start the registration process..... HELP!!!

Good Evening Everyone,

This is my first ever forum post so please bear with me.....

I have made the decision to set up my own child minding business. Now i have 14 years experience working in EYFS settings etc and all the relevant qualifications and certificates, and Ive been through enough OFSTED inspections not to be fazed by any of that, my biggest worries are -

1) Legalities - personal liability cover???? That is not something im used to, the thought fills me with dread. What if i get something so important wrong?

2) Charges - how much is not enough or too much to charge? Do i do it by the hour or a full day rate?

3) Measuring floor space - I am a mathematical whiz when it comes to understanding ratios etc BUT how do i measure my floor space??

I know these seem like simple questions, ive been the manager of a nursery for goodness sake im not sure why im fretting over it but any feedback or advice would be gratefully received.

Ta Muchly.

Penny

Registered Childminder since
    Nov 10
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

1) Legalities - personal liability cover???? That is not something im used to, the thought fills me with dread. What if i get something so important wrong?
    It is Public Liability Insurance, it is easy- just buy from Pacey or Morton Michel and you can't go wrong. I get mine with Pacey and Pacey membership. You can get it from Childcare.co.uk but I have never tried that one.

2) Charges - how much is not enough or too much to charge? Do i do it by the hour or a full day rate? Hourly is best I have found. If you charge by the day you will have problems with those wanting shorter hours (I have some 8-5, some 8.30-4.30 etc). Search the forum, it has been discussed a lot already.

3) Measuring floor space - I am a mathematical whiz when it comes to understanding ratios etc BUT how do i measure my floor space?? If you live in a 'normal' house you will be fine! If you live in a very small house/flat then you may need to measure and check- search on the forum, it has been discussed may times and there is a help document somewhere too.

3. Likes bunyip liked this post
    Mar 10
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

Welcome to the forum!

You can easily fall into the trap of over analysing things. Great advice already given.

Floor space - I have never measured mine. When my inspector came round on the pre-reg visit she just told me how many children I would be able to have. She didn't measure anything, I guess she was just a great judge of space!

Money - I also prefer to charge by the hour, but some families might be on a higher hourly rate than others, for example, if they are term time only or just do a very few hours or very early mornings/later evenings. You can always adapt it as you go along - usually when you take on a new child, because it can feel really awkward changing fees for an existing client. The best thing is to do a bit of research in your area and see what other childminders charge and decide if you want to charge a bit more/less.

Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries