Registered Childminder since
    July 12
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Default new parent advice

How would u reply to following?

I had a new 1 due start today contracts signed last week etc.
    I got hit by a bug that was not a gd idea to pass on so i took today off mum seemed fine and said she didn't want her child to fall ill.
    And would see me Thursday.
    I just received the following message.

Dear Hatchlings i know i was happy u was honest with me about not having ******** however i won't be using u again u are unreliable and i won't be paying u either i have spoken to someone and please never contact me again. ***

How would u reply?

Nov 10
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

Depends on the contract... no money owed? Should she have given any notice period?
    If it was a no-notice settling-in period and she does not owe you any money then I'd put it down to bad luck and move on.
    Rather rude of them, though. Did you get a feeling all was not well when you met them? It is odd that they u-turned, but then you get all types...

3. Likes Dragonfly liked this post
    Nov 13
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

I would imagine that the change of attitude came on talking to colleagues/ friends. She could do nothing but be polite on answering your phone call, but whilst reorganising and dealing with the aftermath of finding she had no child care she has rethought it all.
    It is so difficult when childminders are ill, parents depend on us so much. An alternative back up may not have worked on this occasion either as it was the first day. You were in such a difficult position, but we do have to think about our health too in this job.
    Her text message was clumsy and it was a shame she couldn’t discuss it with you and found out through your other parents that this was a unique one off.
    I would leave it as it is now and put it behind me. She has a point, through her experience, of unreliable, though it is harsh under the circumstances. If she owes you anything then I would phone your insurance company and get advice on next steps to take.

Dec 11
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good ;-)
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

I have a 'settling' period in my contracts of 4 weeks whereby either parents or I can terminate our contract, with no penalties, if things aren't working out.
    In this instance, albeit rather rudely and offensively worded, I would let it go, return any monies that are required to be returned, and would probably reply despite being 'told' not to with:

Thank you for letting me know x won't be starting with me, I can only apologise again for being ill.
    £xx is due to be refunded to you, can you please advise how you wish this to be paid.
    Just a reminder that if you are claiming childcare credits we are both obliged to inform them I am no longer your childcare provider to avoid an overpayment.
    I shall advise them today.
    Good luck with your future childcare arrangements

Some things just aren't meant to be

Dec 87
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Hatchlings View Post

I got hit by a bug that was not a gd idea to pass on so i took today off mum seemed fine and said she didn't want her child to fall ill.

Dear Hatchlings i know i was happy u was honest with me about not having ******** however i won't be using u again u are unreliable and i won't be paying u either i have spoken to someone and please never contact me again. ***

How would u reply?
    I would think how rude so good riddance!! to be professional though Kiddywinks has good advice and raises us above the ignorant parent.

Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

I can see it from both sides - as a childminder you can't work if you are ill, but as a parent you would feel let down if your first day of childcare was cancelled

The text message was a bit blunt but that's how some people write. It could be that she's too embarrassed to speak to you which is why she says not to contact her.

It's a shame things didn't work out, but like others have said, I would write it off as an unfortunate experience and move on.

8. Likes FloraDora liked this post
    Nov 11
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

How would u reply?
    Are you ok? It must be upsetting to get such a nasty message. One of the problems with our 'Age of Communication' is the way people who wouldn't dare say this sort of cr4p to your face, feel they can "message" if with impunity ( and when did "message" beyond a verb?)

The first thing you need telling, unequivocally, is that you are not unreliable. don't feel bad because you've been dealing with a selfish idiot.

Second, if you do contact or have any further dealings with this horrible woman, don't you dare apologise. You have acted with complete integrity in the interests of the children's welfare, and have nothing to be sorry for. If she was a better mum, she'd see that.

Presumably in her mind, a "reliable" childcare provider works when they're ill and passes on infections to the children. If that's what she wants, then that's what she deserves: I hope she finds a setting so irresponsible they infect her too while they're at it.

In terms of charges, refunds, deposits, it will depend on the contract. Get back to us with details if you need advice on this. The line "I won't be paying you either" leaves me concerned, as it suggests she knows she should be paying. What do you think she means by "I have spoken to someone" ?

It would be worth contacting your legal team (Pacey of other insurer) for advice in case she starts bad-mouthing you. Only last week I heard of another nursery that had to send a parent a solicitor's letter to protect their reputation.

In my area, we have a system of sharing purely factual information on bad clients who are abusive, run up arrears or dodge contracts. It goes a long way to deterring this sort of thing being repeated.

Above all, I hope you're ok and realise it's she who is being horrible.

10. Likes Maza, Dragonfly liked this post
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

How horrible for you.

You have had good advice.

Sending a hug xx

July 12
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Default Thank you

I never managed to speak to her and to be honest I didn't want to she has started bad mouthing me to people I know saying I was ill on peruse lucky for me they know I am hardly ever ill first time in 2 years. She refuses to event look at me when she sees me in the street, I checked contracts and she owed me 2 weeks but I offered to wipe that as a good will but I wish I had not now. oh well we learn from experience.

Thank you for all the help and advice given its helped me a lot

Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

I never managed to speak to her and to be honest I didn't want to she has started bad mouthing me to people I know saying I was ill on peruse lucky for me they know I am hardly ever ill first time in 2 years. She refuses to event look at me when she sees me in the street, I checked contracts and she owed me 2 weeks but I offered to wipe that as a good will but I wish I had not now. oh well we learn from experience.

Thank you for all the help and advice given its helped me a lot
    To be honest, it sounds like you've had a lucky escape. Can you imagine how hard she'd be to work with?

Fingers crossed you get the space filled quickly xx

14. Likes Ripeberry, Dragonfly liked this post
    Dec 87
    Post Thanks / Like

How would u reply?
    Agree with Mouse, I'd say good riddance! there's plenty more lovely parents and children out there who will appreciate you so no need to work for/with ignorant people like this. Put it behind you and move on.