Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Registered Childminder since
    Pre-reg
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Parents changing agreements

Hi,
    This is the first time I have posted and I am just after some advice. It is literally my very first day as a childminder, so I am very new to this and this might be an essay.

I had arranged for 2 children to start today and signed a contract last week. Yesterday, I had to message the mum and ask her to remember to make a payment as we had agreed. She messaged back saying that she could not afford it as she didn't get paid until the 7th of April and could the children start after that date.

I made a point of it being in the contract, but as a gesture of good will, I was prepared to write up another contract, but it would put the payment up as she was now paying it over 9 months instead of 10.

She's now said she can't afford that and can the children just do one day a week instead of the two we originally agreed. She also told me that her other half had refused to pay and that was why the children couldn't start today.

I am now considering if this is worth it. I had handed in my notice based on what we had agreed on the original contract and will now be at a severe financial loss, but now don't feel entirely comfortable with the dad either.

My question is, what would everyone else do in this situation? Do I allow them to do one day and look for something else as well or am I within my rights to withdraw the offer? I have no experience with this and am feeling quite disheartened right now with this being my first day. I'm sorry again about how long this post is and thank you for any advice x x

Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

If a parent says they are starting on xx date I bill them in advance from that date.

If they cannot pay then the place has to be offered elsewhere... sorry parent.

My advice is to advertise - see who is out there - fingers crossed the right family is waiting for you

Post Thanks / Like

So sorry to hear this Natj, good advice from Sarah. Just wanted to encourage you to keep going not all families are like this. Xx

Pre-reg
    Post Thanks / Like

Thank you. I hope you're both right. I have told them that I can't keep the place and have started advertising again. Thanks for your advice x x

Pre-reg
    Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for the advice. I have told them that I cannot take the children on. Just don't feel it's worth it to have people I don't trust in my own home. Hopefully you're right and things will pick up. Thanks again x x

Feb 06
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

Sending you support and welcome to the forum. Sorry you've just experienced this but good advice given. Look for another family there are a lot of lovely families out there.

Nov 11
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

I agree with all the previous posts.

Don't be discouraged, but understand you can find yourself having to learn a few harsh lessons at the outset.

One of the most important is to always get payment in advance and never work a day beyond what you've been paid for, or you risk working for free. Also consider taking a deposit of a month's fee in addition to payment in advance.

You'll hear all sorts of excuses about they haven't been paid yet, or waiting for tax credits, or an unexpected bill from the phone company. These are all SEFP's (Someone Else's Flipping Problem) don't let them become your problem.

You need to be on your toes from the start. Some mums are very aware that you are keen to please and get started with your new business with a reputation for being kind and helpful, and so they will deliberately seek to exploit the vulnerability exposed by your good nature.

You've done the right thing by seeking advice before it becomes a big problem. You won't spend long on the forum before you realise how many CMs compound their early mistakes by letting debts mount up whilst believing the continuous false promise of "I'll pay you next week." They then go on hoping, whilst simultaneously fearing to drop the client because they've got so much to repay, and so on.

It's far better that you've addressed this early on and can nip it in the bud.

June 95
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Non childminder member
    childminder
    Post Thanks / Like

Agree with all previous posts. Be tough from the start I wish I had from the start and I've been a n childcare over 30 yrs ( chldmnder 20+years)