NEW: Starting up Childcare
Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Registered Childminder since
    pre-reg
    Post Thanks / Like

Default NEW: Starting up Childcare

New to Childminding but have been working in Childcare for 8 years.

I have just read this on the facebook page, does anyone know if you have to have done an EYFS course to prove you know it or can it be in writing from a previous employer?

"People are often unsure about whether returning to childminding or starting for the first time means a compulsory training course.
    There is no requirement for childminders to have a level 3 qualification or any particular type of training – the Early Years Foundation Stage (EYFS) just requires you to have undertaken a training course that helps you to understand the EYFS.
    Local authorities may offer such training but there is no requirement any longer for a childminder’s training to be approved by the local authority. As long as you are confident your training has enabled you to fully understand the EYFS then this is sufficient – and the Ofsted Inspector will check your understanding at your registration visit."

Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

I read that too ... it is Ofsted's page so it has to be right!

it surprised me though because I've always understood childminders have to do an 'introduction to childminding' course

pre-reg
    Post Thanks / Like

Yes I read this too and have also been told this over the phone with ofsted. I've got a level 6 degree and they told me that as long as it covered the EYFS then I wouldn't need to complete a childminding course

Quote Originally Posted by GraceC View Post
    New to Childminding but have been working in Childcare for 8 years.

I have just read this on the facebook page, does anyone know if you have to have done an EYFS course to prove you know it or can it be in writing from a previous employer?

"People are often unsure about whether returning to childminding or starting for the first time means a compulsory training course.
    There is no requirement for childminders to have a level 3 qualification or any particular type of training – the Early Years Foundation Stage (EYFS) just requires you to have undertaken a training course that helps you to understand the EYFS.
    Local authorities may offer such training but there is no requirement any longer for a childminder’s training to be approved by the local authority. As long as you are confident your training has enabled you to fully understand the EYFS then this is sufficient – and the Ofsted Inspector will check your understanding at your registration visit."