Dislikes Dislikes:  0

Thread: Holiday pay

Registered Childminder since
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Holiday pay

Hello just after some advice as always.
    I've been minding for this same family for 2 years and every half term they muck me around. The child comes three days 9-3 I charge half fee when they book holiday no charge when I go - well yesterday dad gave me a piece of paper telling me that I'll only have the child one day a week in the holiday 10-3 including her older brother which will add up to something like £48 basically just sending them so don't have to pay the holiday pay of £60 please help I'm at my witts end every half term this happens?! What is left for me to do apart from talking to them for the 100th time explaining how holiday pay works in so frustrated angry and hurt. Thank you

oct 02
    Latest Inspection Grade
    outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Smileyface View Post
    Hello just after some advice as always.
    I've been minding for this same family for 2 years and every half term they muck me around. The child comes three days 9-3 I charge half fee when they book holiday no charge when I go - well yesterday dad gave me a piece of paper telling me that I'll only have the child one day a week in the holiday 10-3 including her older brother which will add up to something like £48 basically just sending them so don't have to pay the holiday pay of £60 please help I'm at my witts end every half term this happens?! What is left for me to do apart from talking to them for the 100th time explaining how holiday pay works in so frustrated angry and hurt. Thank you
    Do you have a contract with the parents? for one child, or for child and older brother?

If so, then invoice them accordingly - if you are available to work, then they pay in full for those days. IF they have booked them off as holiday, then they pay half fees for any contracted days they don't attend.

If they are not happy with this, or you don't have a contract, arrange a meeting and state that you will need to fill out/sign a new contract(s) (one for each child). this will have that FULL fees are due if you are available to work, No fees if you are away, and if you really want to offer half fees for their holiday, then cap it at 4 weeks pro rata ( so, they are contracted to 3 days a week, that is a total of 12 days at half fees ) after that it is full fees.
    If they are not happy with that, then say you will move to an 'Ad Hoc' contract, whereby the parents book their children in for the days the want to use over the holidays, and these days are payable in FULL at the time of booking and are NON REFUNDABLE ( unless you are unable to work ) I charge a higher fee for 'ad hoc' care, or you might want to charge a flat fee.

I ask that bookings are made and paid for at least 2 weeks in advance, preferably earlier, as I can not guarantee a place ( and sometimes I DON'T have the space they need! ) until booked/paid for. My regular holiday parents had all booked/confirmed their summer holiday places by mid june, all paid by 1st july, and now I have an 'ad hoc' mum cross that I don't have the space she needs!

good luck x

3. Likes bunyip liked this post
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

I have two separate contracts that state the holiday pay but every half term they just try something different, he even said I know you charge £60 minimum so thought you would be charging me that I explained you can't book holiday and then use a few hours it don't work like that, I barely have the brother he has adhd and is very difficult so this half term they want to bring him so he can use her hours. I'm so fed up I have never had any problems with any other parents

Oct 97
    Post Thanks / Like

A written reply is the way to go.
    For child a contract states x y and z . You pay X. You have requested 1 day in holidays contracts states X y and z so charge will be X
    For child b contract states etc....
    Hours from child a cannot be transferred for use by child b .

Keep it as short as you can and to the point.

Parents that repeatedly try it on are usually those you have been lenient with once and think you don't mind.

6. Likes Kiddleywinks, mama2three liked this post
    Nov 11
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

........... and while you're at it, start advertising for a replacement family who won't muck you about.