Thinking of becoming a childminder - need advice please! X
Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Non childminder member
    Parent
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Thinking of becoming a childminder - need advice please! X

Hi I am new to this website and just registered. I was just looking for some advice really. My fiancé and I both have well paid full time jobs and I have a 16 month old daughter which recently we have had to put her into a childminders which the cost is putting s strain on us financially. We have just bought a new house and we are due to move at the end of next month. On his salary alone we could not afford to pay the mortgage and our bills etc so my wage is also very important. I have been looking into doing childminding for a month now but I would need to make atleast £900/£1000 per month. I don't know if the stress and worry is worth going through with it as I know it's not a set wage every month. Plus I get to be home with my daughter everyday which I would love to do. I was just looking for some advice if anyone could help atall. I live in the dubfermline/Fife area. Thankyou xxxx

Registered Childminder since
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Childminding can be a good income if you have a couple of full time or 3/ 4 day a week children and some before and after-schoolers...

Or it can be a complete nightmare when a family of siblings leave suddenly and the phone doesn't ring despite advertising.

However, we wouldn't do it if we didn't love it!! If you enjoy working with children and can save for the quiet times then it's a wonderful job

Registered Childminder since
    Feb 06
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

A lot of us started when our own children were babies/toddlers so we also could be at home with them. It is wonderful but not always plain sailing. If you take on another 2 eyfs children you're lo will have to adapt and sometimes this can be hard when you are cuddling another baby and your own child is hanging off your arm. But I've managed and there are a lot of positives for your own child as they will always have a playmate (hopefully). We don't have any immediate family near by but over the years some of the mindees have become our extended family and my youngest will look out for them at school etc. Just be firm and consistence from the start about your own child having their own toys and space separate ie their bedrooms away from the mindees if your home can adapt this. I use my son's bedroom for sleeping babies/toddlers only, no playing in it. Best of luck.