Thread: Lost my sparkle

Registered Childminder since
    Nov 03
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Lost my sparkle

Hello

I would welcome your thoughts on something please.

I was inspected, with my Husband as my Assistant in October 2012 and maintained my Good. The Inspector that came had a reputation for being very hard on Childminders and didn't ever give outstanding.

I had a malicous complaint about 9 months before the inspection from a former Assistant and at that time didnt stand up for myself and the complaint went on my file. I thought the Inspector at my 2012 inspection was so hard on my because of this. The Inspectir tore my practuce and setting to shreds. (Previous inspections always gave me a confidence boost and were very positive).

The inspection has left me really lacking confidence since, kicking myself that I didnt speak up or appeal. I was just grateful that I maintained my Good and could still offer funding.

Fast forward to now and through speaking with other childminders and a collegue having the same inspector at the beginning of this week it seems that this partcular inspector takes a personal dislike to certain types of setttings and is not impartial in her inspections. For example she dislikes settings with Assistants or Co minders.

This has really shaken me up in that I feel my confidence and love of the job has taken such a knock since my inspection and now I know it wasnt actually anything I did wrong, the Inspector just dosnt like Cm's I feel so cross.

How can I move on from this and get my childminding sparkle back?

may 05
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

It's not fair that inspectors are supposed to all sing from the same hymn sheet but all too often they do have personal opinions on certain settings and let them cloud their judgement. I would try to let it go, leave things in the past, in the past - if the parents and children are happy with you and the service you provide then that is all that matters.

It's too late to make a complaint and just hope you don't get the same inspector again next time, write something in your SEF about the feedback you had last time and how you didn't agree with it. I had an recommendation in my 2009 inspection to communicate with other settings, even though I said I had tried phoning and e-mail but they wouldn't work with me - I felt this recommendation was unfair, so I wrote about it in my SEF underneath Partnership Working.

"Priorities for improvement

Try to get nurseries to communicate with me more - at a recent local providers meeting (Nurseries & Childminders), all of the nursery staff present said they or their employers had never contacted a Childminder where the childcare provision is shared or had never asked to see a child's Learning Journey folder where a child was leaving a childminder and starting Nursery. (How are some of these Nurseries Outstanding when I got picked up on this on my last inspection)?"

I would say *** Ofsted, don't let them put you down, you are doing a fantastic job

Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

It is never too late to log a complaint - it will not make a difference to you and your previous inspection but it will be recorded and it will go towards showing what the inspector is like - it might even get them looking at her history with childminders if she is doing this regularly and a few colleagues write in too.

Meanwhile you have to have a belief in the inspection process and the complaints procedures - things have changed for the better and if the inspector hasn't moved with the times you will be able to complain.

Hugs xx

4. Likes hectors house liked this post
    Dec 87
    Post Thanks / Like

Completely agree with hectors house, we worry too much about Ofsted (even though they have this power over us!) it's the parents and children that matter. I had a really horrible inspector the time before last, he reduced me to tears and I had to leave the room to compose myself leaving my assistant daughter to deal with him. As she told him my mum has been doing this job for over 25 years and has never been given an inadequate grade as you have just given! He was in such a bad mood I don't think he should have even been at work that day. He later upped my grade after speaking to people in the office and wanted me to be grateful!!
    On my last inspection last year the inspector was lovely(human) and although she was here for 5 and a half hours and we didn't eat at all (kids did) I felt she boosted our confidence in our work whereas that horrible man made me feel I was absolute rubbish and shouldn't be doing the job.

I think the moral of my story is that you know you are doing a good job, some of these inspectors wouldn't last a day in our work and some just like the power they have. Don't be discouraged - you are doing a job not many people would take on and lots of my parents say 'I don't know how you do it'.

Enjoy what you do and you have now got 3+ years until you see an inspector again!

6. Likes hectors house liked this post
    Simona Guest

Quote Originally Posted by snortlet View Post
    Hello

I would welcome your thoughts on something please.

I was inspected, with my Husband as my Assistant in October 2012 and maintained my Good. The Inspector that came had a reputation for being very hard on Childminders and didn't ever give outstanding.

I had a malicous complaint about 9 months before the inspection from a former Assistant and at that time didnt stand up for myself and the complaint went on my file. I thought the Inspector at my 2012 inspection was so hard on my because of this. The Inspectir tore my practuce and setting to shreds. (Previous inspections always gave me a confidence boost and were very positive).

The inspection has left me really lacking confidence since, kicking myself that I didnt speak up or appeal. I was just grateful that I maintained my Good and could still offer funding.

Fast forward to now and through speaking with other childminders and a collegue having the same inspector at the beginning of this week it seems that this partcular inspector takes a personal dislike to certain types of setttings and is not impartial in her inspections. For example she dislikes settings with Assistants or Co minders.

This has really shaken me up in that I feel my confidence and love of the job has taken such a knock since my inspection and now I know it wasnt actually anything I did wrong, the Inspector just dosnt like Cm's I feel so cross.

How can I move on from this and get my childminding sparkle back?
    So sorry to read about how you feel....if you let that feeling take over they will have won ...and that's a NO NO

Inspectors have a 'code of practice and conduct'...they must absolutely behave without prejudice....please look at the guidance on what is expected of them and that will reassure you and get your confidence growing again.

You will be inspected before end of August 2016 as the cycle is coming to an end....get someone to support you.
    Even you EY team will be there to do whatever they can if you call them....they are there!

Think positive, think you can do well and don't let what happened in the past be a barrier to getting another good grade.
    behave professionally and expect that back from any inspectors...they have now been re-trained to do their job properly....keep that guidance on the table as a reminder if anytime you feel a wobble coming on.

Good luck...and please think positive

Nov 03
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

Thank you everyone.

Simona I thought I had been inspected in this cycle (Oct 2012) will I be due again before August?