The DfE has announced next steps for 'landmark' childcare
Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  7
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Simona Guest

Default The DfE has announced next steps for 'landmark' childcare

Our very own innovative childcare Minister...Sam Gyimah...has made another ground breaking announcement on his and the DfE's plans for childcare

Somewhere in the announcement there is news of yet another 'consultation'...Yaay!

It is a brilliant idea maybe ...opening nurseries from 6am to 8pm...that will solve all childcare problems obviously...according to him! ...not sure his calculator will agree?

I wonder if he has ever come across CMs?...if he is after 'flexibility' and rewarding 'hard working parents' I would look no further

Take a read and ...as the saying goes...discuss

https://www.gov.uk/government/news/n...offer-unveiled

Simona Guest

Registered Childminder since
    sep09
    Latest Inspection Grade
    outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

Have completed the consulaltation - as always I do think Ive wasted my time but can live in hope that one day maybe someone will listen!

Simona Guest

The DfE has published a draft for LAs and the entitlement.

I am not sure of the link yet but will post it when I see it
    It appears ....from what I am reading ....that Early Education has been replaced by childcare...not a good sign....and can be available at weekends as well.
    All the rules about when the entitlement can be delivered are being changed.

Worth reading it maybe before doing the consultation
    I am not sure why the DfE is in a rush to change the guidance when we have not even had a chance to reply?
    Not really happy at all this

Simona Guest

Nov 13
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Again after a brief skim read two points jump out at me:

1. The good or outstanding grade is now not necessary if you are in an area that doesn't have enough places now.
    'unless it is necessary to do so to ensure sufficiency of accessible places.'

So the idea is to provide funded high quality places .....but we'll lower our standards because actually evidence has proved there aren't enough of these places so it doesn't actually matter what standard the funded places are as long as the box is ticked and a place is funded, any place.

2. The funding should be given to places that offer the flexibility the parents want. Does this mean that if I don't want to work beyond 5.30 I won't get the funding ? ( some where it mentions 8pm as the cut off point - max 10 hours) if I only work TT I won't get the funding or, even more of an issue I won't get funding if I don't offer weekend ie I am not flexible to a parents wishes???

Simona Guest

Quote Originally Posted by FloraDora View Post
    Again after a brief skim read two points jump out at me:

1. The good or outstanding grade is now not necessary if you are in an area that doesn't have enough places now.
    'unless it is necessary to do so to ensure sufficiency of accessible places.'

So the idea is to provide funded high quality places .....but we'll lower our standards because actually evidence has proved there aren't enough of these places so it doesn't actually matter what standard the funded places are as long as the box is ticked and a place is funded, any place.

2. The funding should be given to places that offer the flexibility the parents want. Does this mean that if I don't want to work beyond 5.30 I won't get the funding ? ( some where it mentions 8pm as the cut off point - max 10 hours) if I only work TT I won't get the funding or, even more of an issue I won't get funding if I don't offer weekend ie I am not flexible to a parents wishes???
    Your second question is very pertinent Flora Dora
    I will find out a bit more tomorrow...but I think you have highlighted and share concerns with others on both your points

I just hope that providers ...and that includes Cms...are not going to bend over backwards to offer this 30 hours without actually understanding what is truly behind this and challenging the DfE.

As you say...what is the point of striving for Good/Outstanding grades when everyone can fill the funded places...what a smack in the face eh!
    As I have said before this has nothing to do with children, their interests or well being

Thanks for your comment.

8. Likes FloraDora liked this post
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by FloraDora View Post

I don't read that as settings have to offer flexibility or they won't be able to claim funding. I read it that if a parent and setting want to offer late night or weekend care, the LA will have to fund it, whereas they don't at the moment. The government cannot afford to rule out any places that could possibly offer funding, so they're hardly likely to block funding for any settings that don't open till 8pm or don't open at weekends. Their plan is to create as many spaces as possible, not reduce them.

It all smacks of desperation. Our LA is obviously worried about where they're going to find all these extra places. They're suddenly pushing "settings working in partnership" and encouraging childminders to "make links" with nurseries and pre- schools. We've been trying to do that for years, but have been ignored by other setting and the LA who say there is nothing they can do to make nurseries work with us. Now it's being hailed as a big breakthrough and something we should all be doing!

As Simona says, this has nothing to do with the children or with providing good quality care. It's all to do with creating as many childcare spaces as possible, no matter where or when, so the government deliver on a promise they should never have made in the first place.

Simona Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Mouse View Post
    I don't read that as settings have to offer flexibility or they won't be able to claim funding. I read it that if a parent and setting want to offer late night or weekend care, the LA will have to fund it, whereas they don't at the moment. The government cannot afford to rule out any places that could possibly offer funding, so they're hardly likely to block funding for any settings that don't open till 8pm or don't open at weekends. Their plan is to create as many spaces as possible, not reduce them.

It all smacks of desperation. Our LA is obviously worried about where they're going to find all these extra places. They're suddenly pushing "settings working in partnership" and encouraging childminders to "make links" with nurseries and pre- schools. We've been trying to do that for years, but have been ignored by other setting and the LA who say there is nothing they can do to make nurseries work with us. Now it's being hailed as a big breakthrough and something we should all be doing!

As Simona says, this has nothing to do with the children or with providing good quality care. It's all to do with creating as many childcare spaces as possible, no matter where or when, so the government deliver on a promise they should never have made in the first place.
    Make sure that you research CMs Hubs...these are taking place with Cms getting to know the ins and outs of the implications of the 30 hours....is there one in your area?

You are correct...working in partnership has been in the EYFS for years but ...often...Cms found barriers to doing so and no matter how we raised it no one ever listened including Ofsted
    There are examples of excellent partnership but they are very few
    All of a sudden the rest of the sector ...and schools....have realised that without working with Cms this new scheme will not be successful.

That is why I have always said to Cms not to dismiss the 30 hours...for once Cms are in the position to be heard and be
    Equal....and we need to speak up...I hope Cms will do just that and be part of this

You will hear lots more on this as the announcements are fairly recent and people digesting it
    I look forward to my event tomorrow to hear what other providers have to say

Aug 94
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

The biggest key to all of this is paying an economic rate to all providers. £4.88 ph is not enough i many areas and why should the childcarers subsidise parents childcare? The only way it will ever work will be if we can charge a top up to our normal hourly rates if our LA fail to pay this.

Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by rickysmiths View Post
    The biggest key to all of this is paying an economic rate to all providers. £4.88 ph is not enough i many areas and why should the childcarers subsidise parents childcare? The only way it will ever work will be if we can charge a top up to our normal hourly rates if our LA fail to pay this.
    All we hear about are these great ideas to help working parents. Doesn't anyone realise that many childcarers are working parents? No one seems that interested in making sure we have a decent income!

13. Likes BallyH, Ripeberry liked this post
    Simona Guest

All we hear about are these great ideas to help working parents. Doesn't anyone realise that many childcarers are working parents? No one seems that interested in making sure we have a decent income!
    Many are raising that very concern Mouse....and have done so for a very long time ....it needs lots of voices to get the message heard.

RS...the funding you have mentioned will change once DfE has decided on a funding formula which will differ across the country...subject to another consultation

Nothing is settled as yet ...what is a promise now will change later....until 2017 the current funding stands and you will continue to subside free childcare....many providers have serious problems
    What is an economic rate? What we need is a sustainable rate which this govt's will not come up with unfortunately...watch this space .

Post Thanks / Like

Well said mouse!

Simona Guest

I attended a conference in Whitehall yesterday with a large number of attendees from the EY sector and beyond...including the press who report on these issues.
    There were 2 MPs from opposing political parties and several well known EY representatives.

The very subject was discussed and raised with DfE and other speakers.
    Other subjects were sustainability, qualifications, gap in funding and costs...and much more

CMs agencies were also on the agenda as the Northumberland Academy School Cm agency was there giving a speech on it....I put 2 questions to the agency itself and Ofsted later.

There is survey from HM Govt on how to Cut red tape for Childcare.

Cms can input in that survey and also mention that, while the govt is helping 'working families' the cost of delivering childcare is also having a detrimental effect on providers...who themselves are 'hard working families'

The message needs to be loud and clear and it need the input of thousands of Cms

This is the link which has already been posted in another section...please take 5 minutes to leave your comment

https://cutting-red-tape.cabinetoffi....uk/childcare/

Simona Guest

Just published...

Doubling of free childcare 'could force nurseries to close' - BBC News

This clearly reflects the concerns of the sector which PLA has raised consistently
    The results are taken from a recent PLA survey which also reflects cms' views on the subject
    Last edited by Simona; 20-04-2016 at 07:59 AM.