Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0

Thread: Extra room

Registered Childminder since
    Feb 13
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Extra room

Sorry if this has been asked before, my search function doesn't seem to want to work.

When I registered I didn't include my children's room as wanted to keep a space that was just for them. Since then I have started looking after 2 little ones. I use a travel cot in my room and sometimes a buggy for the other. I want to start using the children's room when they are at school, purely for napping children. How do I go about this?

Nov 10
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

Just risk assess it yourself and go ahead. You can email a copy of your RA to Ofsted and state that you are now using these rooms as part of your setting. But I don't think it is a big deal as they do not tend to bother with what parts of your house are, or are not, used- the whole property is registered and you are responsible for keeping children safe in whatever parts you use. Ofsted can view/inspect any part of the property if they wish.

Feb 13
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by moggy View Post
    Just risk assess it yourself and go ahead. You can email a copy of your RA to Ofsted and state that you are now using these rooms as part of your setting. But I don't think it is a big deal as they do not tend to bother with what parts of your house are, or are not, used- the whole property is registered and you are responsible for keeping children safe in whatever parts you use. Ofsted can view/inspect any part of the property if they wish.
    Thanks Moggy, I'll get risk assessing. Will be sooooo much easier having an extra room to put a cot in :-)

Nov 10
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

Yes, I did the same to put a cot in our 4th bedroom up stairs. I had originally said we would not use it but then realised it was actually useful to have the space and just emailed RA to Ofsted. This was a few years ago, was not a big issue at all. I have been inspected since and they never even went up the stairs.

Feb 13
    Post Thanks / Like

Do you have a monitor in each room? My house is incredibly small so I can hear when someone wakes up

Nov 10
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by halor View Post
    Do you have a monitor in each room? My house is incredibly small so I can hear when someone wakes up
    I do, but as long as you RA you can do it your way, so much depends on the layout of the house and what other background noise there is (I can't hear a baby upstairs if there is another child chattering downstairs).