Nappy Changing
Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  8
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Nappy Changing

Post Thanks / Like

Default Nappy Changing

A bit of an odd question but can I ask where you do nappy changes?
    I have a changing table upstairs in my sons bedroom but that's not practical for my future mindees and my son when I'm working..so just wondering where others do it?

I had been planning to just use a mat on the floor of my downstairs toilet, although it would mean leaving the door open and being half in the bathroom / half out in the hallway as its not particularly large. would that be acceptable to Ofsted do you think?

Registered Childminder since
    Mar 10
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

My home is all on one level and so I can easily pop to the changing table in the bedroom. When I changed a nappy during my last graded inspection the inspector said I might want to consider moving the nappy mat to the floor as the children might soon start getting a bit wriggly - and the floor is considered safer. So they certainly don't have a problem withy you changing nappies on the floor. As long as you put down a clean disposablemat/disinfect the plastic changing mat then it shouldn't be a problem.

Oct 97
    Post Thanks / Like

I do mine on my knee,did it that way during the inspection,

Post Thanks / Like

Thank you!

Also - do you wear gloves for nappy changes? I keep hearing mixed views on this

Dec 02
    Post Thanks / Like

In my recent inspection I did mine on a mat on the floor in the hallway. It is next to my downstairs loo. I find many kids can be a bit wriggly and I need space to lay all the stuff out. I very often try to put the nappies on back to front, so need space to take them off and start again.
    She made no comment that I did it in the hall, I susie t she took more notice of the way a verbally interested with the baby, did round and round the garden and made him laugh.

We have a mat on the table at our group, I always take it off and put it on the floor. I often get funny looks, but would not want a child falling/wriggling off.

I do not wear gloves.

6. Likes bunyip liked this post
    Nov 11
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by k1rstie View Post
    In my recent inspection I did mine on a mat on the floor in the hallway. It is next to my downstairs loo. I find many kids can be a bit wriggly and I need space to lay all the stuff out. I very often try to put the nappies on back to front, so need space to take them off and start again.
    She made no comment that I did it in the hall, I susie t she took more notice of the way a verbally interested with the baby, did round and round the garden and made him laugh.

We have a mat on the table at our group, I always take it off and put it on the floor. I often get funny looks, but would not want a child falling/wriggling off.

I do not wear gloves.
    This sounds very much like what I do, for very similar reasons, and a similar response from the inspector too. I do changing next to my downstairs toilet, though not in the hall, but it's a useful space which is out of sight of the windows.

I also like the floor because it's difficult to fall off.

My inspector also commented on the verbal interaction. Maybe I should've done "Round and round the garden" - my inspector had never heard "I wish I was a glow-worm" before.

Nov 13
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

I have different circumstances so am able to change on a bed- on an individual to them changing mat, on a bed.
    I have to say though when I am changing a child there is no chance they would 'wriggle and fall off' because I am constantly holding them, got my eye on them, everything is to hand and organised before a change, if I had to move away I would not leave the child .... That would be my RA.

I do always use gloves when dealing with a soiled nappy. I always wash my hands before and after any
    change.
    My alternative place would be on the floor half in and out of the downstairs loo, but I didn't do this in front of inspector so can't say what her reaction was. She was happy how I changed ( on bed upstairs) and how I washed mine and LO's hands after - since I wash mine the LO is in my arms so I wash theirs too - gets them into good practise for later.

Post Thanks / Like

I have a wall mounted drop down changer in my downstairs shower room, only painted mdf I put changing mat on it. Built by local carpenter 13 plus years ago now for under £50. Worth every penny as built to my height, saving my knees, back. Well worth the investment if you are into minding long term.

10. Likes Dragonfly liked this post
    Nov 94
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

I think, (note think) I recall a while ago ofsted preferring it if you changed them close to the hand washing sink, if possible. Cuts down on likelihood of you forgetting to wash and of touching too many surfaces with toilet hands
    However, I think it is on the whole not that important where you change them, just that you demonstrate good hygiene for yourself and the children.

I have a mat, which I place on the floor, mostly, somewhere in the downstairs of my house - obviously not the kitchen - and change the child wherever that is. Then bag the nappy, wipe the child's hands and mat, or send them to wash their own, then bin the nappy, then wash my hands. I might use gloves for loose smelly nappies, or if my eczema is bad.

Feb 06
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

I change mine, on the floor, in the small hall between my kitchen and playroom. I feel I can then watch the others whilst being in control of a baby. Everyone has a different method but I think what the inspector is looking for is safety of the child you are changing and you also being aware and in control of the other mindees at the same time. Aware of hygiene issues, whether you use gloves or not but you must demonstrate a high understanding and awareness of hygiene. And the important interaction between us and the baby/toddler. So lots to consider, oh and don't forget to take a mental note of nappy contents for parent updates later.

Mar 10
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

They would also want to see that you are respecting the privacy and dignity of he child too, so your place sounds fine. Whilst a floor is impossible to fall off, you do need to think about other toddlers walking past - could they trample on the little one or drop a toy on them...Just risk assess your own situation and you'll be fine.

I wear gloves for soiled nappies - sometimes only on the 'wiping hand' if it's not too messy.

Aug 94
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by blue bear View Post
    I do mine on my knee,did it that way during the inspection,
    You know I so wish I had been taught to do it this way. I watch a couple of fellow minders do this is wonder every time they do it!

15. Likes blue bear, Dragonfly liked this post
    Aug 94
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

I have a PVC cloth on my dining table and I put the mat and all the bits on there. I stand with my back to the children playing so the child has privacy and it means I don't have to get down on the floor to do it.

17. Likes Dragonfly liked this post
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

I change them on a mat in the hall. That way I can see and hear the other children, but we're out of the way.

I currently have 2 in nappies and it has recently occurred to me that I can use the picture side of the mat when I'm changing one and the other side when I'm changing the other. Obviously I still wipe the mat down after it's been used, but I impressed myself with this ingenious idea and wondered why I'd never thought of it before

19. Likes rickysmiths liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Thank you for your comments
    Really helpful xx

Post Thanks / Like

What do you all then do with the nappy.
    I like a poo one to go straight in the outside bin but I'm aware ofsted might not like me going outside albeit very briefly to put it in the bin as it means for a minute my eyes and ears are off other mindees....but how should I deal with this....its unhygienic and smelly to keep the poo in the house.

Mar 10
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by mumofone View Post
    I like a poo one to go straight in the outside bin but I'm aware ofsted might not like me going outside albeit very briefly to put it in the bin as it means for a minute my eyes and ears are off other mindees....but how should I deal with this....its unhygienic and smelly to keep the poo in the house.
    Yeah, I can see this would be a tricky one. I used a tommee tippee nappy bin with lid and kept it outside on the roof terrace - so I only had to lean out of a low window and pop it in the bin - so it was outside but I never had to leave the flat. I never used the roof terrace with the mindees so there was no chance they could mess with it.

Feb 06
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

Open the nearest outside door and just pop it to one side of your door step and close the door quickly again and say something like 'I'll pop that in the outside bin later at a more safer convenient time to all'.

Feb 06
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

Mine leads on to my driveway, the children never go there alone. Not the door to my back garden.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by BallyH View Post
    Open the nearest outside door and just pop it to one side of your door step and close the door quickly again and say something like 'I'll pop that in the outside bin later at a more safer convenient time to all'.

That's what I'm planning to do as my outside bin is in the garage which I can't access from the main house.

26. Likes BallyH liked this post

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast