drumming up business
Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  10
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 5 1234 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 81
  1. #1
    Join Date
    Oct 2014
    Posts
    383
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default drumming up business

    I've been registered 6 months now and still only got the 1 year old if signed up with on day 1!
    I did have a baby but he only lasted until the settling in period as dad lost his job.

    I search childcare.co.uk and message parents in the area I've just looked and this month alone I've messaged 17 parents and only had 1 reply! ! How frustrating!
    I've got a business page on f a c e book, which i share updates of activities and outings etc (no photos of children just activities /room/ outings etc) I share this on local selling pages regularly at different times of the day to catch different people etc.
    I'm in touch with local childminders which have passed my number on but I don't get a call! (2 this month)
    I have a car sign advertising my childminding business and also a t shirt printed which i wear whenever I go out etc,
    I tell everyone that I'm a childminder, I've got business cards printed and advertising in local shops, post office, doctors, schools etc

    I really am so disheartenend and fed up, any advice would be great, thanks

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Posts
    601
    Registered Childminder since
    pre-reg
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Could you get old parent and existing parent to write you reviews for your childcare.co.uk profile? I found a couple of good reviews in the early days helped massively with getting replies from new parents when I messaged them!
    Have you left your details in local schools/preschools you collect from?
    Tell all your friends, although sounds like you are doing, all my work came from friend recommendations and childcare.co.uk

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Oct 2014
    Posts
    383
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Yep got brilliant reviews from existing parents and even one from a parent that came for a viewing but then partners working shift changed so she didn't need me (genuine reason ) , she wrote a fantastic review on both sites,

    Friends have been sharing my page, leaflets up in their place of work etc
    Yep been in regular contact with local community centres, nursery schools , library etc everyone knows me lol

    I'm on the local authority database for parents looking , regular contact with my development officer,

    Also got adverts on *****, care , *****, mumsnet etc

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Posts
    7,653
    Registered Childminder since
    oct 02
    Latest Inspection Grade
    outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    8

    Default

    Do you go to any toddler groups etc?

    I moved to an area where I knew no one and my children were at school. I used to go to a variety of toddler groups on my own! ) I did explain to those running it why I was there! - I volunteered to help set up/do refreshments/hold babies so mum could have a hot drink etc. It helped me get out and meet people and then all those at toddlers could tell other people about me!
    I also talked to everyone everywhere and told them what I did ... queues, post office, drs, coffee shops etc. I have a fleece that says childminder on the back and always wore it. i carried business cards in my pocket to give to anyone vaguely interested.
    It was hard, because I'm really quite shy, but I needed to get some work! It took me about 6 mths to get a selection of LOs. Most of them came through word of mouth or FIS. (Although some had also seen me on childcare.co.uk)

    Good luck xx

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Oct 2014
    Posts
    383
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by loocyloo View Post
    Do you go to any toddler groups etc?

    I moved to an area where I knew no one and my children were at school. I used to go to a variety of toddler groups on my own! ) I did explain to those running it why I was there! - I volunteered to help set up/do refreshments/hold babies so mum could have a hot drink etc. It helped me get out and meet people and then all those at toddlers could tell other people about me!
    I also talked to everyone everywhere and told them what I did ... queues, post office, drs, coffee shops etc. I have a fleece that says childminder on the back and always wore it. i carried business cards in my pocket to give to anyone vaguely interested.
    It was hard, because I'm really quite shy, but I needed to get some work! It took me about 6 mths to get a selection of LOs. Most of them came through word of mouth or FIS. (Although some had also seen me on childcare.co.uk)

    Good luck xx
    Yep I've taken my own daughter to toddler groups since she was very young, so they all know that I'm up and running now etc. Also at soft play etc they all know me , i have my flyers advertised there also.
    Myself and my partner tell absolutely everyone, in the supermarket checkout etc lol
    I find it easier when I'm with my daughter as it's easy to start a conversation with her around!

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    By the sea
    Posts
    8,844
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    It took me months and months to get started, so I have every sympathy.

    You say you're in touch with local childminders so does that mean you actually meet up with them? I found that was the only way to get work in the end - go along to their meeting every week and play the sympathy card! Luckily one of them felt very sorry for me and passed on the next call they got. They signed up and I've been busy ever since.

    I've found that a lot of the children I've looked after don't actually live near me, but parents travel through this way on their way to work. Are there any big businesses near you that might be worth thinking about? I'm on a direct route to a couple of big employers so have had a lot of work from people working there. I've never needed to advertise with them, but if I did I'd contact the HR department to see if I could leave my details or put a leaflet on their noticeboard.

    Is there a baby clinic near you? Some won't let you leave a business card, but some will.

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Oct 2014
    Posts
    383
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Mouse View Post
    It took me months and months to get started, so I have every sympathy.

    You say you're in touch with local childminders so does that mean you actually meet up with them? I found that was the only way to get work in the end - go along to their meeting every week and play the sympathy card! Luckily one of them felt very sorry for me and passed on the next call they got. They signed up and I've been busy ever since.

    I've found that a lot of the children I've looked after don't actually live near me, but parents travel through this way on their way to work. Are there any big businesses near you that might be worth thinking about? I'm on a direct route to a couple of big employers so have had a lot of work from people working there. I've never needed to advertise with them, but if I did I'd contact the HR department to see if I could leave my details or put a leaflet on their noticeboard.

    Is there a baby clinic near you? Some won't let you leave a business card, but some will.
    Yes sorry I should have said I meet up weekly /fortnightly with cm i go to a group, meet some others at soft play, i bumped into one last weekend and she said she had passed on my number to a parent but they've not called.
    There's a new big business development site close by and I've contacted them with my details.
    Yep the baby clinical is in the doctors surgery which is based in a community centre type building, i am advertised on the notice board.

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    By the sea
    Posts
    8,844
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by crumpet54 View Post
    Yes sorry I should have said I meet up weekly /fortnightly with cm i go to a group, meet some others at soft play, i bumped into one last weekend and she said she had passed on my number to a parent but they've not called.
    There's a new big business development site close by and I've contacted them with my details.
    Yep the baby clinical is in the doctors surgery which is based in a community centre type building, i am advertised on the notice board.
    It sounds as if you're trying absolutely everything you can

    We have one cm here who sounds just like you. She's lovely and we all pass on her number, but parents either don't contact her, don't turn up, say they will use her then don't, or leave after a very short time. She's about ready to give up now, which is a real shame.

    You do find that some times of year are busier than others. I went for a while with no enquiries, but at the moment I'm getting them daily. Unfortunately all you can do is wait for the rush to start.

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Posts
    601
    Registered Childminder since
    pre-reg
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Children's centre? Or any baby groups like newborn to walkers, children's centre and NCT both run a couple near me, as parents will often discuss childcare when thinking about going back to work after maternity, if you could arrange to go and introduce yourself and hand out leaflets or cards with references you'll stick in their mind when they need to find someone

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Oct 2014
    Posts
    383
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by alex__17 View Post
    Children's centre? Or any baby groups like newborn to walkers, children's centre and NCT both run a couple near me, as parents will often discuss childcare when thinking about going back to work after maternity, if you could arrange to go and introduce yourself and hand out leaflets or cards with references you'll stick in their mind when they need to find someone
    I'm in contact with nct but they don't allow cm to advertise
    Yes I'm known at children's centre etc, it's just so hard I'm literally doing everything I can.
    Absolutely skint now , my car insurance is up for renewal, card just declined no money, then just had email my dbs is up for renewal is can't believe it's been a year and I'm still not earning! I literally get 50 a week from current mindee , I've never been this skint in my life, im in tears this morning just don't know what to do, can't get any help etc as partner works, it's just not fair we're meant to be able to live off his wage,

    Sorry for the rant just so blooming fed up

  11. #11
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    By the sea
    Posts
    8,844
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by crumpet54 View Post
    I'm in contact with nct but they don't allow cm to advertise
    Yes I'm known at children's centre etc, it's just so hard I'm literally doing everything I can.
    Absolutely skint now , my car insurance is up for renewal, card just declined no money, then just had email my dbs is up for renewal is can't believe it's been a year and I'm still not earning! I literally get 50 a week from current mindee , I've never been this skint in my life, im in tears this morning just don't know what to do, can't get any help etc as partner works, it's just not fair we're meant to be able to live off his wage,

    Sorry for the rant just so blooming fed up


    I'm sorry to hear things are so bad for you.

    I don't think anyone ever tells you how tough it can be to get started so it can come as a bit of a shock when the work doesn't appear.

    I know it completely defeats the object of registering as a childminder, but could you look for some temporary work to help you out? And have you checked that you're definitely not entitled to any benefits? Did you receive the childminding grant after you'd registered (is it £250?) I know it's not a huge amount but it all helps.

  12. #12
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    South East
    Posts
    978
    Registered Childminder since
    Dec 02
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    It might be worth crafting your local school again. Not sure of everyone's dates, but our local authority lets their parents know their primary school place on the 18th April. After the schools are announced, there can often be a flurry as parents are getting sorted for September, or child may start after Easter.

    I have a very good relationship with my local school, my daughter is in year 5, and my oldest one did too, plus all my older ones go there too. I often bake brownies, and just drop them into the office. I use the chocolate brownie mix from Costco, and everyone loves it. The school office is a place parents may ask about childcare, so it's worth keeping the office ladies sweet!! Also don't forget that often teachers need childcare too! I currently have the kids of one of their teachers, chair of the PTA, and another teacher lined up.

    Find out when the new parents reception open evening/meeting is. The teachers may be able to discreetly pass your details on.

    Good luck, and it will come.

  13. #13
    Join Date
    Oct 2014
    Posts
    383
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Mouse View Post



    I'm sorry to hear things are so bad for you.

    I don't think anyone ever tells you how tough it can be to get started so it can come as a bit of a shock when the work doesn't appear.

    I know it completely defeats the object of registering as a childminder, but could you look for some temporary work to help you out? And have you checked that you're definitely not entitled to any benefits? Did you receive the childminding grant after you'd registered (is it £250?) I know it's not a huge amount but it all helps.
    Thanks, yes I applied and got the grant successfully.

    I've just been on phone to my development officer to confirm the price i would get for funding £2.29 per hour for 3-4 funding what a joke

  14. #14
    Join Date
    Oct 2014
    Posts
    383
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by k1rstie View Post
    It might be worth crafting your local school again. Not sure of everyone's dates, but our local authority lets their parents know their primary school place on the 18th April. After the schools are announced, there can often be a flurry as parents are getting sorted for September, or child may start after Easter.

    I have a very good relationship with my local school, my daughter is in year 5, and my oldest one did too, plus all my older ones go there too. I often bake brownies, and just drop them into the office. I use the chocolate brownie mix from Costco, and everyone loves it. The school office is a place parents may ask about childcare, so it's worth keeping the office ladies sweet!! Also don't forget that often teachers need childcare too! I currently have the kids of one of their teachers, chair of the PTA, and another teacher lined up.

    Find out when the new parents reception open evening/meeting is. The teachers may be able to discreetly pass your details on.

    Good luck, and it will come.
    Thanks, yes I'll pop back down the school thank you x

  15. #15
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Posts
    601
    Registered Childminder since
    pre-reg
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    £2.29!!! Wow that's terrible, even with 3 funded children you wouldn't be at new min wage, and with what hard work this job can be at times that is far too low.

  16. #16
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    South East
    Posts
    978
    Registered Childminder since
    Dec 02
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by crumpet54 View Post
    Thanks, yes I applied and got the grant successfully. I've just been on phone to my development officer to confirm the price i would get for funding £2.29 per hour for 3-4 funding what a joke
    Did they say what the 2 year old rate was? £2.29 is terrible!

  17. #17
    Join Date
    Oct 2014
    Posts
    383
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by alex__17 View Post
    £2.29!!! Wow that's terrible, even with 3 funded children you wouldn't be at new min wage, and with what hard work this job can be at times that is far too low.
    Yep I've only got 2 spaces as I have my own daughter so I said to my development officer so I'll be earning 4.58 an hour she said yes that's right- would you like me to come and sign you up......

    Eerrr no thanks lol

  18. #18
    Join Date
    Oct 2014
    Posts
    383
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by k1rstie View Post

    Did they say what the 2 year old rate was? £2.29 is terrible!
    £4 per hour

  19. #19
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    By the sea
    Posts
    8,844
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by crumpet54 View Post
    Yep I've only got 2 spaces as I have my own daughter so I said to my development officer so I'll be earning 4.58 an hour she said yes that's right- would you like me to come and sign you up......

    Eerrr no thanks lol
    Where on earth do all the 3 & 4 year olds go for their funded hours? Surely no one wants to take on for that little.

  20. #20
    Join Date
    Oct 2014
    Posts
    383
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Mouse View Post

    Where on earth do all the 3 & 4 year olds go for their funded hours? Surely no one wants to take on for that little.
    No idea..... it's ridiculous

 

 
Page 1 of 5 1234 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Quick Links and Advertisements

Important Information Links
Some Useful Quick Links
Advertisements

 

You can also find us on:
drumming up business drumming up business drumming up business

We use cookies to make this site as useful as possible. They are small text files placed in your browser to track usage of our site but they don’t tell us who you are.
By continuing to use this site you are consenting to cookies being placed on your computer. Find out more here: Cookies in Use

Childminding Help and the Childminding Forum are part of Childcare.co.uk