Inspection
Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0

Thread: Inspection

Registered Childminder since
    Feb 13
    Post Thanks / Like

Hi all, my first inspection is imminent and to be quite honest I'm terrified! I don't do well in that type of situation and my mind runs away and leaves a gibbering wreck behind! I've got a couple of questions and I hope you guys might be able to help.

When I put one of the babies down for a nap I leave a 4 year old briefly in the living room, usually doing an activity, whilst I quickly nip upstairs. When Mrs o is here would I be able to do that?

Will Mrs o need to speak to parents and what kind of things will she ask?

Feb 06
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by halor View Post
    Hi all, my first inspection is imminent and to be quite honest I'm terrified! I don't do well in that type of situation and my mind runs away and leaves a gibbering wreck behind! I've got a couple of questions and I hope you guys might be able to help.

When I put one of the babies down for a nap I leave a 4 year old briefly in the living room, usually doing an activity, whilst I quickly nip upstairs. When Mrs o is here would I be able to do that?

Will Mrs o need to speak to parents and what kind of things will she ask?
    I would continue doing what you normally do. You could explain to the inspector that this is what you normally do and that you have risk assessed the situation and that the child left downstairs is competent in being left alone for a few moments and they are within earshot, this is what I would do. Be confident in your answers to Mrs O. Let her/him see that you are in charge of this situation. Even if you are quaking inside.

They will speak to parents if they are available ie drop off/collect whilst she is there or you could ask them to pop in if they wish to talk to the inspector. Mine all answered a questionnaire that I gave them for her to read whilst she was here. She didn't speak to any parents this time but she did last time. They asked about communication, working together and did they feel I knew their child.

Best of luck to you.

Feb 13
    Post Thanks / Like

Thanks BallyH, do you know if it's possible to ask an inspector not to come on a certain day? I have a 4 year old and 2 18 month old one day a week. 2 of them ere very difficult at the moment. Because of this I take them out all day as being stuck in the house make things 10 x worse

sep09
    Latest Inspection Grade
    outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

To some degree tht depends on your inspector. A friend has recently had her inspection and requested that the inspector didnt come on a monday as that was the day the children attended a gymnastics class that they would be very disappointed to miss. The inspector was fine with this. I suppose it depends on their schedule as much as anything.

Nov 13
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Thanks BallyH, do you know if it's possible to ask an inspector not to come on a certain day? I have a 4 year old and 2 18 month old one day a week. 2 of them ere very difficult at the moment. Because of this I take them out all day as being stuck in the house make things 10 x worse
    It really depends on what you are doing on those days I think. I was told that the inspector would be here by 9.30 and to stay in until that time. I don't go to other groups so it didn't hinder me in anyway. I expect if it is a genuine educational class that had been paid for like the previous example of gymnastics they might accommodate it. From what I gather from colleagues I think it depends when you are called. The inspectors are given their list of CM to inspect within the next fortnight usually - if you are contacted first then the inspector will be able to offer some flexibility but if you are last on the current list there will not be much choice. I had to delay my initial inspection as I was on holiday and the inspector explained that she would have to check with the office, add me to her next list and contact me again when I returned from hols.
    Where do you go for the day? My inspector arrived with wellies in case we were out and about at the nature reserve, having read my SEF. They will accompany you on a walk, nature visit etc if it's local, some go on the school run. But they won't go to a playgroup with you, or think a playgroup is worthy of you postponing a visit.

'Being stuck in the house' - I love being in my home with the LO's - set up activities you know they love, nothing new on the inspection. Perhaps the LO's have a schema you could embrace and then talk to the inspector about - showing you know the children well. Could you use your garden for part of the morning? Feed the birds? Plant up some spring flowers? Make a bug hotel? Just dig or play with pots and pans outside? Find hidden things? Look for lots of things of a certain colour. Collect things in a wheelbarrow. Show a photo - then the children find the item in the garden? Throw bean bags and air balls into huge collecting things. Lots of little short activities that my 18 month has done recently in our garden which has enhanced their curiosity for garden play.
    Last edited by FloraDora; 08-04-2016 at 07:53 AM.

Feb 13
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by FloraDora View Post
    It really depends on what you are doing on those days I think. I was told that the inspector would be here by 9.30 and to stay in until that time. I don't go to other groups so it didn't hinder me in anyway. I expect if it is a genuine educational class that had been paid for like the previous example of gymnastics they might accommodate it. From what I gather from colleagues I think it depends when you are called. The inspectors are given their list of CM to inspect within the next fortnight usually - if you are contacted first then the inspector will be able to offer some flexibility but if you are last on the current list there will not be much choice. I had to delay my initial inspection as I was on holiday and the inspector explained that she would have to check with the office, add me to her next list and contact me again when I returned from hols. Where do you go for the day? My inspector arrived with wellies in case we were out and about at the nature reserve, having read my SEF. They will accompany you on a walk, nature visit etc if it's local, some go on the school run. But they won't go to a playgroup with you, or think a playgroup is worthy of you postponing a visit. 'Being stuck in the house' - I love being in my home with the LO's - set up activities you know they love, nothing new on the inspection. Perhaps the LO's have a schema you could embrace and then talk to the inspector about - showing you know the children well. Could you use your garden for part of the morning? Feed the birds? Plant up some spring flowers? Make a bug hotel? Just dig or play with pots and pans outside? Find hidden things? Look for lots of things of a certain colour. Collect things in a wheelbarrow. Show a photo - then the children find the item in the garden? Throw bean bags and air balls into huge collecting things. Lots of little short activities that my 18 month has done recently in our garden which has enhanced their curiosity for garden play.
    I don't mind being in the house usually, that day needs lots of outdoor action as the children struggle. Unfortunately I can access my garden at the moment.

Indoors I think play dough would be the best one as the children get really involved. I'm still trying to get the little ones not to eat it at the moment lol!

One of the other reasons is that my house is small, and I really do mean small. I have a galley kitchen that 2 people struggle to fit in. My living room and hallway are where the children play. Having an extra person in the living room can dominate the area, if that makes sense. One of the younger ones won't sleep if there are strangers in the house so fingers crossed they don't come that day. If she doesn't sleep she has a terrible temper :-/

Feb 06
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

When my inspector phoned, on a Friday afternoon, to say she was coming she asked me if I was working the following week and I said yes and that Monday and Wednesday suited me best. And she said fine. No other questions asked. She came on the Wednesday. So you can only but ask.

Feb 13
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by BallyH View Post
    When my inspector phoned, on a Friday afternoon, to say she was coming she asked me if I was working the following week and I said yes and that Monday and Wednesday suited me best. And she said fine. No other questions asked. She came on the Wednesday. So you can only but ask.
    Thanks Bally, fingers crossed :-)

Post Thanks / Like

Hi all, my first inspection is imminent and to be quite honest I'm terrified! I don't do well in that type of situation and my mind runs away and leaves a gibbering wreck behind! I've got a couple of questions and I hope you guys might be able to help. When I put one of the babies down for a nap I leave a 4 year old briefly in the living room, usually doing an activity, whilst I quickly nip upstairs. When Mrs o is here would I be able to do that? Will Mrs o need to speak to parents and what kind of things will she ask?
    Hi halor, just wondering, how dyou know your first inspection is imminent?

Feb 13
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by mumofone View Post
    Hi halor, just wondering, how dyou know your first inspection is imminent?
    Just after xmas they called to ask if I had children on roll, half term they called and asked if I had children the next day so they could come but I had taken some days off, they called this week to ask again if I have children on roll. I've been minding for 3 years and this is my first. Bricking it!

Dec 02
    Post Thanks / Like

Yeah, I think you are imminent!!!! Are you ready?

Feb 13
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by k1rstie View Post
    Yeah, I think you are imminent!!!! Are you ready?
    Nope, although I don't think I'll ever be ready :-/

Dec 02
    Post Thanks / Like

Don't worry, I think you can be too ready. I had my call Thursday afternoon for Monday norm ing. That was the right amount of time for me. Too much longer time and I would have over though it, and gone mad

Simona Guest

Just after xmas they called to ask if I had children on roll, half term they called and asked if I had children the next day so they could come but I had taken some days off, they called this week to ask again if I have children on roll. I've been minding for 3 years and this is my first. Bricking it!
    Halor...your first inspection is very important so that you finally get a grade....relax and you will do well...as one of the top Ofsted chiefs says: do not prepare for it....just be there and carry on as usual!
    Read the guidance on inspections ...so that you know exactly what to expect....even when they finally call you.

Did I read right you have been minding 3 years?....that is 36 months.

If you feel strongly about it you should ring Tribal/Prospect and ask them why they have left you not inspected 'beyond the 30 months' limit?

The 2 subcontracted companies must keep to Ofsted' s guidance and that 1st inspection must be 'within' 30 months....the awful backlog of inspections is now been sorted so they should be up to scratch and have no excuses..

If it worries you chase them...I certainly would.

Good luck.

Feb 13
    Post Thanks / Like

Thanks Simona, I think if I'd had the inspection in the time I was supposed to I wouldn't be so nervous. As it is, in now so stressed over the whole affair which doesn't help me to prepare.

I think it's a case of come what may, I'm just so worried that I will get inadequate or needs improvement. The families I have are all happy with the way the children are looked after, I'm worried this will change if I don't get 'good'.
    Last edited by halor; 09-04-2016 at 10:27 AM.

Simona Guest

Thanks Simona, I think if I'd had the inspection in the time I was supposed to I wouldn't be so nervous. As it is, in now so stressed over the whole affair which doesn't help me to prepare.

I think it's a case of come what may, I'm just so worried that I will get inadequate or needs improvement. The families I have are all happy with the way the children are looked after, I'm worried this will change if I don't get 'good'.
    Go with the flow and follow your children...if they are happy and settled with you this will reflect at inspection.
    Plan activities you know are their interests and put your teaching 'hat' on.

You will do well ...it is just a question of not doubting yourself!! Go for it