Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  5
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Registered Childminder since
    Pre-reg
    Post Thanks / Like

Default French childminder

Hi Everyone,

I am native French speaker which is in the path to become childminder.
    I would like to speak French with the children I will look after to give them the opportunity to learn this language.I want to make it clear, I do not want to give French courses to children, I would like to talk ONLY in French go them.Like a kind of French immersion in my home.
    (As they will learn English with their parents or later at school)
    Do I need an authorization if I want to speak only French with children ? Do you think it would be an issue during the Ofsted inspection ?

Thanks in advance for your answers !

Nov 10
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

EYFS 2014, Section 1, Paragraph 1.7...
    '...must have sufficient opportunities to learn and reach a good standard in English language during EYFS...'
    '...practitioners must assess children's skills in English...'

So, I think that not speaking any English would not meet the statutory framework and therefore would be a problem for Ofsted.
    I suggest getting local advise from your Early Years team.

3. Likes Mouse, bunyip liked this post
    Pre-reg
    Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for your answer Moogi, it is very helpful !

Oct 05
    Post Thanks / Like

I think it's great that you would like to pass this on to the children. I However think it could limit your market ordinance, I wouldn't want my child to only be spoken to in a language that is alien to them when they're having to deal with settling in to a new setting as well😕.

Pre-reg
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by muffins View Post
    I think it's great that you would like to pass this on to the children. I However think it could limit your market ordinance, I wouldn't want my child to only be spoken to in a language that is alien to them when they're having to deal with settling in to a new setting as well😕.
    Thanks Muffins for your sharing your point of view as a parent.
    I am planning to do drop in /pick up from school. May be it could be like a French after school club? Then I would not have to reach they EYFS statutory framework. Am I right ?

Nov 10
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

Even for school-ages only, that is a very niche market... children after school are tired, have had a long day of lessons, want to relax, maybe off load their worries and stresses of the day, and have some fun. To be spoken to only in a foreign language could be very stressful.

There are foreign-language-speaking CMers who bring their language to their setting through books, songs, stories etc and the children learn a bit of the language along side the English. That can be seen as a great advantage.

I think you need to go through this document very carefully- you will see the financial disadvantage of not being on the EYFS register because of the Ofsted fees. If you only care for age 8+, you do not need to register at all with Ofsted.

https://www.gov.uk/government/upload...g_handbook.pdf

oct 02
    Latest Inspection Grade
    outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

There is a French speaking childminder in Harrogate.

I don't know her personally, just that I saw her car somewhere!

if you google, I'm sure you'll find her. Maybe you could get some advice from a French childminder

9. Likes moggy liked this post
    Dec 02
    Post Thanks / Like

I would like my own 9 year old daughter to attend a French speaking class/session only one night per week. I think more than one night per week would be too much.

Nov 13
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

I would have loved for my lads to be in an environment for a while of total French language speaking, but not for my childcare as a course or one or two nights like others have said.
    I expect there will be parents out there for your unique market, it depends what kind of an income you want and how secure this income needs to be.
    The other way is home tutoring - you can earn up to £20 at least an hour, different children after school each day might be lucrative.

12. Likes bunyip liked this post
    Dec 02
    Post Thanks / Like

Childcare.co.uk as well as listing childminders also lists tutors. I had a quick look, and there is a German tutor less than a mile from me, he charges between £10 and £20 per hour. As Floradora suggests, it might be something to consider

14. Likes bunyip liked this post