Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  1
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Registered Childminder since
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Early years outcomes

Hello how do you use the early years outcomes? Do we need to print this off and fate when the child does the statements I'm confused thanks

Nov 10
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

EYO was written for inspectors to use as a guide to child development.

Some CMers/settings use EYO as a 'tick list' to see what a child can do...

BUT you need to be aware that, of course, a child does a million things that are not mentioned in EYO, and likewise a child may develop perfectly well without doing every statement from EYO, or may do things from different age bands etc. Using it too rigidly can be a rather blinkered way of working, but as a tool it is okay.

So, you can use it as you like.
    Or you can choose not to use it- BUT remember the inspector will be using EYO to judge your practice so it is wise to be at least aware of it.

EYO is actually one column of the old Development Matters booklet (which is still available, current and relevant).

'What to Expect When?' is another more recent document from Dept. Ed, aimed at parents, but actually very useful to CMers too.

3. Likes Maza liked this post
    Simona Guest

We seem to have opposite views on EYO in this forum and that is no problem but some of the views are confusing.

I am puzzled at what is said...EYO are used as tick lists by some cms/nurseries and that they are a 'tick list' for inspectors about Child Development.

I thought we all knew EYO was devised by the DfE to help inspectors to identify 'outcomes'...as EYO is a list of them without the Development Matter extension of child development with its Positive Relationships and Enabling Environments by just using Unique Child for outcomes
    DM is really not old but very much current practice and theory albeit drastically cut by the DfE!.

Sorry I am rather confused but that as I have never seen providers use EYO on their own...maybe used together with DM they may extend providers view of children's learning.

providing EYO to newly registered cms ....who may still be gaining knowledge CD in their training is ...in my view not advisable and using EYO for planning is a bit of hard work without the PR and EE to help in that task.

Anyway no worry but I just feel we should get this clear
    interesting to know how inspectors are now judging outcomes when practice is rightly focused on the child and their view and in an teaching

I am sure the subject will come up again and I will cheer when I see EYO taken out of practice !

Mar 15
    Post Thanks / Like

I don't really use EYO as (has already been noted) it's pretty much the Unique Child column from Development Matters. (Which I prefer as it has more information)

I do give EYO out to parents for them to highlight starting points though, so there is a copy in children's folders. I also have a copy stored behind my DM so Ofsted can see that I know it exists and what it contains. I don't really understand why it exists, to be honest. If there was already something doing the same job? *shrugs*

Simona Guest

Quote Originally Posted by greenfaerie View Post
    I don't really use EYO as (has already been noted) it's pretty much the Unique Child column from Development Matters. (Which I prefer as it has more information)

I do give EYO out to parents for them to highlight starting points though, so there is a copy in children's folders. I also have a copy stored behind my DM so Ofsted can see that I know it exists and what it contains. I don't really understand why it exists, to be honest. If there was already something doing the same job? *shrugs*
    What a good question...why replicate something like DM which works very well with more obscure guidance such as EYO?.
    Also parents have What to expect when? which is a very good guide for them.