funding question
Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Post Thanks / Like

Default funding question

Hi
    I've had my DO out today to discuss me offering funding places I was shocked to hear the amount - £2.20 for 3yr old
    Is this right? How can anyone accept this?? I understand that it varies from each LA
    Is this not hugely insulting?

Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

Blimey, that does seem low.

Which LA is that? What's the average rate charged in your area? I can't imagine many people taking funding if that's all you get, so I would definitely double check that she's told you the right amount.

Registered Childminder since
    Feb 06
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by crumpet54 View Post
    Hi
    I've had my DO out today to discuss me offering funding places I was shocked to hear the amount - £2.20 for 3yr old
    Is this right? How can anyone accept this?? I understand that it varies from each LA
    Welcome to the world of funding! Yep, hughly insulting. Mine is a little more, and yes each LA offers different amounts. But it is lower than my current hourly charge. Plus there is paperwork to do, not much, but still paperwork on top of a loss in earnings. So you'll have to decide whether you want to offer it or not.

Simona Guest

Quote Originally Posted by crumpet54 View Post
    Hi
    That cannot be right...are they joking?...the lowest I know of is £2.85 but yours is an insult
    There is a toolkit where you can check what your LA should offer but I cannot link it now...will do so tomorrow if that will help you?
    I would reply to your LA that you will consider their offer and reflect on your sustainability.

Tomorrow the new funding will be announced ..although it won't come into effect until the 30 hours kick in it is enough to make providers stop and think.

Post Thanks / Like

Oh yes it's definitely correct!
    I won't be taking them up on the offer!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Simona View Post

That cannot be right...are they joking?...the lowest I know of is £2.85 but yours is an insult
    There is a toolkit where you can check what your LA should offer but I cannot link it now...will do so tomorrow if that will help you?
    I would reply to your LA that you will consider their offer and reflect on your sustainability.

Tomorrow the new funding will be announced ..although it won't come into effect until the 30 hours kick in it is enough to make providers stop and think.
    That'll be handy thank you x

Registered Childminder since
    July07
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

That is shocking. I wonder how many childminders have taken that on and also how to nurseries and preschools cope with the low amount? Surely that's not even sustainable at that price?

How much is the going rate around your area?
    Time Out.. The perfect time for thinking about what you're going to destroy next.

Simona Guest

It is worth finding out what each LA should pay...they have been known to reduce the rate at short notice

Please do not allow them to do so....they are short funded by central govt and therefore raiding the childcare pot.

LAs will be in trouble if they do not deliver on the Childcare Act...and because most providers are bound by a contract they can do as they please

Please read your contract with your LA before signing on the dotted line and question them...there is nothing they can do to providers who refuse to offer funding.

Simona Guest

Crumpet54...I posted some links to the toolkit and benchmark for LAs funding in the thread: 'Spending Review and EY Funding announcement' in General Childminding Chat.

Hope they are of use to you

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks Simona I'll take a look later