new interest .... but for 5 months time
Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  5
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Post Thanks / Like

Default new interest .... but for 5 months time

So I've had a parent message this morning really keen to come and have a look etc I asked what age etc she didn't answer in each reply until right at the end if conversation said oh it's for 5 months time.
    She's coming for a visit tomorrow, what should I do put off until nearer the time or still have the visit and say ring back nearer to see if I have spaces? Retainer? Isn't that too far off to have a retainer? It's a lot of months loosing money for the space?
    Help? !

On a positive note I'm grateful for the interest

Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

It's all good experience for you, so see them anyway and take it from there.

A lot of how you deal with it depends on how soon you want to fill all your spaces and how soon you need to be earning from them. If you need to be earning money sooner rather than later, 5 months is a long time to save a space. Even if you charged a half fee retainer it would mean you're only getting half the potential money from that space for almost half the year.

The only time I agree to hold a space for that long is if I know I'll have an existing child leaving when the new one wants to start. In that case I'll take a non-refundable deposit and agree a start date to coincide with the existing child leaving.

I think if I was in your position I would be honest with the family. I would say that you are looking to fill your spaces before then so will carry on advertising. I find they often don't understand about ratios, so if you explain how it limits the number of children you can take on, which in turn limits your earnings, they can see why you can't commit to anything so far ahead. If you meet with them and really like them, you can offer to update them nearer the time or if it looks like your spaces are being filled.

Registered Childminder since
    Post Thanks / Like

I would see this as a wise parent, who wants to be organised and she/he is either wanting to visit setting for research or has heard of your reputation and wants to be sure of a place. I have been surprised what people will pay for if they want it enough. After meeting with them I put my considered offer on the table and then it's their choice.
    I would prefer to start earlier than most parents plan doing home visits, settling in sessions gradually building up to the date the full contract starts. I find this helps the child, the other children in my care, a nervous/anxious parent and me.
    Remember you are the best asset your setting has, be confident and don't under sell yourself xx

4. Likes BallyH, lollipop kid liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for your thoughts. yes you are right I will have the meeting as it will be good for experience etc, ideally I want to fill spaces now rather than wait, so yes I will be honest and say that.
    Thanks x

Feb 06
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by crumpet54 View Post
    Thanks for your thoughts. yes you are right I will have the meeting as it will be good for experience etc, ideally I want to fill spaces now rather than wait, so yes I will be honest and say that.
    Thanks x
    I have found over the years a lot of my enquiries have been like this and they will get a space when another child leaves for school or leaves for another reason. Have the meeting and as already wisely suggested see how it goes and maybe even suggest payment to keep the space open. Depending on their circumstances they might start using you for a couple of hours a day now to secure the space. I hope you like them and they are right for you. When chatting to them think 'could I work with this mum?'. You're not looking for a new best friend you are looking for decent people who are on the same wave length as yourselves. Best of luck.

7. Likes hectors house liked this post
    Oct 08
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

I tend to always meet the parents as well. I am not very good at tying them down with paperwork/deposits etc. So I just leave it that they will stay in touch with me. I update them every so often, especially when I'm down to only one space left.

I find that, even if the timings don't work out for this parent - i.e. another parent comes along who wants the space sooner than them - then the time spent with the initial parent isn't wasted, as they generally enjoy looking round my setting and (hopefully) have lots of lovely things to say about it as free advertising/PR, if you like.

(I only see parents during my child-free times for their initial visit, so weekends, or on my free day. This way, I get a good feel for them, and they can ask whatever questions they want to.)

I hope it helps,

LK

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by MOH View Post

I have found over the years a lot of my enquiries have been like this and they will get a space when another child leaves for school or leaves for another reason. Have the meeting and as already wisely suggested see how it goes and maybe even suggest payment to keep the space open. Depending on their circumstances they might start using you for a couple of hours a day now to secure the space. I hope you like them and they are right for you. When chatting to them think 'could I work with this mum?'. You're not looking for a new best friend you are looking for decent people who are on the same wave length as yourselves. Best of luck.
    Thanks didn't think of that good idea I could suggest that they have a day or two to help settling process. She does seem keen so that's positive. X

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by lollipop kid View Post
    I tend to always meet the parents as well. I am not very good at tying them down with paperwork/deposits etc. So I just leave it that they will stay in touch with me. I update them every so often, especially when I'm down to only one space left.

I find that, even if the timings don't work out for this parent - i.e. another parent comes along who wants the space sooner than them - then the time spent with the initial parent isn't wasted, as they generally enjoy looking round my setting and (hopefully) have lots of lovely things to say about it as free advertising/PR, if you like.

(I only see parents during my child-free times for their initial visit, so weekends, or on my free day. This way, I get a good feel for them, and they can ask whatever questions they want to.)

I hope it helps,

LK
    Yes like u say extra advertising getting myself known isn't it! Thanks

11. Likes loocyloo liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Well had the meeting it went really well, got on really well It's a shame it's not to start until July 2016! She did think April but now says July .
    She asked if I would do shift work so say 7-2 or 12-6.30
    Would you guys charge a day rate for that? And not mind that each week it would alternate? Also would u charge more for the 7-8 first hour as it's not a time I would really want to start? Do u guys charge more for 7 starts?

Nov 10
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

I charge double for before 8am and after 5.30pm (=outside contracted hours)

So, they are looking at an alternating shift pattern of 7am-2pm and 12pm-6.30pm.

That decision all depends on what earnings you want from that EYFS space...

I would charge for the full day 8am-5.30pm + the outside contracted hours when used, every day/week, and probably expect them to go elsewhere! That is because I do not do after schoolies and my 3 EYFS places are very precious- I work pretty much at full capacity every day. I will not 'waste' half a day every day/week for shift work. The chance of finding someone to fill the alternate hours is probably nil.

But, if you are not looking to be 'full' then go for it. Some people are happy to have 'quiet' days or have income coming in elsewhere to make up for lost EYFS income (like after schoolies).
    You could ask for a 50% retainer for the hours not used and 100% for the hours used each week.

14. Likes loocyloo liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by moggy View Post
    I charge double for before 8am and after 5.30pm (=outside contracted hours)

So, they are looking at an alternating shift pattern of 7am-2pm and 12pm-6.30pm.

That decision all depends on what earnings you want from that EYFS space...

I would charge for the full day 8am-5.30pm + the outside contracted hours when used, every day/week, and probably expect them to go elsewhere! That is because I do not do after schoolies and my 3 EYFS places are very precious- I work pretty much at full capacity every day. I will not 'waste' half a day every day/week for shift work. The chance of finding someone to fill the alternate hours is probably nil.

But, if you are not looking to be 'full' then go for it. Some people are happy to have 'quiet' days or have income coming in elsewhere to make up for lost EYFS income (like after schoolies).
    You could ask for a 50% retainer for the hours not used and 100% for the hours used each week.
    Interesting thank you. Yes actually I would prefer to fill my day up with just 2 ey children (I have my own 18 month old.) I don't really want to do schoolies if I'm honest.
    Ah door people charge double before hours? I thought it was an extra pound I was going to charge lol lol lol lol yours sounds better ha ha