my first potential visit last min help!
Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  26
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Default my first potential visit last min help!

Hey I've had another enquiry Yay!
    10 month old 3 full days a week .
    Mum coming for a chat etc this afternoon, hit me with your last min advice tips!

What paperwork should I go with I don't want to overboard her with paperwork
    I've printed off my welcome pack , baby routine information, all about me form.
    Shall I print off the necessary section of what to expect when booklet?

Thanks x

Registered Childminder since
    Oct 08
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

That all sounds good.

Personally, I always want to get a feel for the Mum and baby, and to allow both of them to get a feel for my setting and experience a little of what it is like for a child here. I think these two things are much more important than paperwork.

If you are child-free for her visit, then you will be able to answer lots of her questions. If not, then you can always invite her back for another visit once she's got a feel for the place (and you) and whether or not it is right for her and her child/she feels she can work well with you.

You can also ask where she is in her decision-making process and find out more about what she needs. For example, is this the start or end of the process for her? What other settings has she visited already? When does she want a place from?

I often find that parents are looking months in advance and often don't really know what they want for their child until they've visited a good number of childminders and Nurseries. If they then come back to you, you're doing really well.

Good luck with the visit. Don't overwhelm her with paperwork - it's probably unlikely that she's even ready to sign up with you there and then. Just enjoy it and use the time to make her visit a really enjoyable experience for both of you.

All the best,

LK

3. Likes Maza liked this post
    Mar 15
    Post Thanks / Like

I found that parents mostly just wanted to get an impression of me and how I worked. You can always mention the other booklet and email them a link to it if they're interested? Or you can print it if you want to chat to them about it.

I'd just say, be welcoming and friendly and don't rashly commit to anything that you'll have to take back later. (I'm awful at over promising when put on the spot!)

5. Likes lollipop kid, loocyloo liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Brilliant thank you all good ideas and things to think about.
    My 18 month daughter will be here I'm hoping she is on her best behaviour lol
    I'll set up some nice activities etc in the playroom which will help hopefully it'll be a nice relaxing chat

oct 02
    Latest Inspection Grade
    outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

The only thing I ensure I do at a first meeting is asking the parent to fill out a form with their name address phone and email, child's name, age, what care they are looking for, (days/hours ... even if really vague) and when they anticipate needing care to start.
    I find this helps them to realise that you are serious about the job, and it's not just something you do for a hobby!

Other than that, I just chat and answer questions. Maybe ask a few of my own but overall I am trying to gauge whether we get on and I want to look after the child.

Just remembered, I also give them a little flyer with my contact details on and a few brief statements about what I do/offer etc.

Good luck xxx

8. Likes lollipop kid liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by loocyloo View Post
    The only thing I ensure I do at a first meeting is asking the parent to fill out a form with their name address phone and email, child's name, age, what care they are looking for, (days/hours ... even if really vague) and when they anticipate needing care to start.
    I find this helps them to realise that you are serious about the job, and it's not just something you do for a hobby!

Other than that, I just chat and answer questions. Maybe ask a few of my own but overall I am trying to gauge whether we get on and I want to look after the child.

Good luck xxx
    That's a good idea I'll make one up now ready.

Oct 08
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by loocyloo View Post

Just remembered, I also give them a little flyer with my contact details on and a few brief statements about what I do/offer etc.

Good luck xxx
    That sounds like a fantastic idea, Loocyloo. I might have to steal that! (I do something similar - that is, I get them to fill in their contact details in my Visitor book, so that I have them on record, then I do a quick 'note' to myself of the other information - especially the child's name - so I can refer to it the next time I contact them or follow up. I love the idea of a form, though. Genius!)

Thanks,

LK

11. Likes loocyloo liked this post
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

I do similar to Loocyloo.

At the first meeting I ask parents their info so I can fill out a form with name, address, phone numbers, email address, child's name, date of birth, days/hours needed and when care would be to start. I then note down anything we agree - fees, what meals will be included, retainers, deposit etc.

I don't give them any paperwork or printed info at all at the first visit. Once they have left I decide if I want to offer them a space, then email them either saying sorry, but I can't offer them a space at the moment, or how lovely it was to meet them and how well I think their child would fit in here. I confirm everything we have spoken about, go over fees and include my parent info that gives details of our daily routine, a sample menu, my payment policy, sickness policy etc. I include a line saying to let me know by X date if they would like to take up the space and how will will proceed - complete necessary paperwork and arrange settling sessions.

I don't give out anything like All About Me forms until contracts are signed, deposits are paid and a starting date is set.

13. Likes loocyloo, lollipop kid liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mouse View Post
    I do similar to Loocyloo.

At the first meeting I ask parents their info so I can fill out a form with name, address, phone numbers, email address, child's name, date of birth, days/hours needed and when care would be to start. I then note down anything we agree - fees, what meals will be included, retainers, deposit etc.

I don't give them any paperwork or printed info at all at the first visit. Once they have left I decide if I want to offer them a space, then email them either saying sorry, but I can't offer them a space at the moment, or how lovely it was to meet them and how well I think their child would fit in here. I confirm everything we have spoken about, go over fees and include my parent info that gives details of our daily routine, a sample menu, my payment policy, sickness policy etc. I include a line saying to let me know by X date if they would like to take up the space and how will will proceed - complete necessary paperwork and arrange settling sessions.

I don't give out anything like All About Me forms until contracts are signed, deposits are paid and a starting date is set.
    Thanks that's really useful especially the follow up email

Oct 08
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

Just throwing another one out there - instead of settling in sessions, I offer the parents a home visit for the weekend before the child starts with me. At that visit, I spend lots of time on the floor with the child, getting to know them and then looking at where they sleep, eat, their favourite playthings, etc.

This way, the first four weeks of the contract are used for settling in. Plus, I find that the home visit usually ensures that the child sees me as a safe person to be around from day one, so makes the settling process so much easier all round.

I hope this helps.

LK

16. Likes loocyloo liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Just messaged me saying she's running late coming now at 5 ish
    Ha hopefully it's a one off if not it's not a good start lol lol lol

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by lollipop kid View Post
    Just throwing another one out there - instead of settling in sessions, I offer the parents a home visit for the weekend before the child starts with me. At that visit, I spend lots of time on the floor with the child, getting to know them and then looking at where they sleep, eat, their favourite playthings, etc.

This way, the first four weeks of the contract are used for settling in. Plus, I find that the home visit usually ensures that the child sees me as a safe person to be around from day one, so makes the settling process so much easier all round.

I hope this helps.

LK
    Good idea for settling in well x

Post Thanks / Like

Right so here goes...
    Originally wanted 8-3 - 3 days a week.
    Then said I was most expensive around and others charge 1.50 less than me.
    Then wanted baby to sleep upstairs in MY DAUGHTER'S COT!!!!!!!!
    I said no I have a snuggle bean bag thing and travel cot and a bouncer so a few options all downstairs.
    She couldn't understand the ratios when I said I will have 3 under 5 including my daughter. She was acting like I was saying I'll have an extra one???
    She then changed mind to 10-3 then says baby will sleep at 10.30.
    Then said can she do 1 or 2 days in Dec then build up to 3 days.
    Baby is breastfed said could I supply the bottles?? No!
    Said r u sure you have dbs first aid etc?? I said yes otherwise I wouldn't have been able to register!
    Everytime my daughter made a noise she pulled a face!
    Her 2 year old son is at nursery and will continue to go there, not come to me.

Then she says she's a solicitor! !! (But in a nasty way)

Oh god help me! Do I run for the hills now??
    Last edited by crumpet54; 13-11-2015 at 06:16 PM.

Oct 08
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by crumpet54 View Post
    Right so here goes...
    Originally wanted 8-3 - 3 days a week.
    Then said I was most expensive around and others charge 1.50 less than me.
    Then wanted baby to sleep upstairs in MY DAUGHTER'S COT!!!!!!!!
    I said no I have a snuggle bean bag thing and travel cot and a bouncer so a few options all downstairs.
    She couldn't understand the ratios when I said I will have 3 under 5 including my daughter. She was acting like I was saying I'll have an extra one???
    She then changed mind to 10-3 then says baby will sleep at 10.30.
    Then said can she do 1 or 2 days in Dec then build up to 3 days.
    Baby is breastfed said could I supply the bottles?? No!
    Said r u sure you have dbs first aid etc?? I said yes otherwise I wouldn't have been able to register!
    Everytime my daughter made a noise she pulled a face!
    Her 2 year old son is at nursery and will continue to go there, not come to me.

Then she says she's a solicitor! !! (But in a nasty way)

Oh god help me! Do I run for the hills now??
    Run! Run! Run! Very fast - and don't look back. I'm feeling stressed just reading your post. Now imagine actually working with her!??!

Let's hope some other lovely parents come along soon.

In the meantime, tell her you have other parents interested in the space who are a better fit for the hours and days you have available, so regretfully you do not think you will be able to help her on this occasion, but wish her well with her search for childcare that better suits her needs.

All the best,

LK
    Last edited by lollipop kid; 13-11-2015 at 06:23 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

Yes you're so right, I feel really stressed now she's gone. So much more happened that I haven't even written in that post but omg no I couldn't work with her. She will be the type that thinks she's my boss I could just tell.
    At least this is my first week of advertising properly. So I'm not too desperate yet ...... lol

22. Likes lollipop kid liked this post
    Oct 08
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

Yes you're so right, I feel really stressed now she's gone. So much more happened that I haven't even written in that post but omg no I couldn't work with her. She will be the type that thinks she's my boss I could just tell.
    At least this is my first week of advertising properly. So I'm not too desperate yet ...... lol
    I think some parents think that, because you are newly registered, they can try their luck.

Another rule I have is never to take anyone who is looking for childcare in a hurry. (It's usually because they have behaved really badly with another setting and have been sent packing.) I also don't feel comfortable taking a child into my setting when their sibling attends somewhere else - why aren't they trying to have both children in the same setting??

Hope it helps,

LK

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by lollipop kid View Post

I think some parents think that, because you are newly registered, they can try their luck.

Another rule I have is never to take anyone who is looking for childcare in a hurry. (It's usually because they have behaved really badly with another setting and have been sent packing.) I also don't feel comfortable taking a child into my setting when their sibling attends somewhere else - why aren't they trying to have both children in the same setting??

Hope it helps,

LK
    Yes I kept thinking well why don't i have both children? Or the nursery has both?

25. Likes lollipop kid liked this post
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

To be honest, it doesn't sound like she was totally serious.

Do you know other childminders in the area? You could ask round to see if she has been to see any of them. Some parents seem to go round visiting everyone, but never commit to anything.

Also, never believe it when a parent says you are the most expensive and everyone is cheaper than you. If you are that much more expensive, why come to see you in the first place?

This is the ideal example of why you don't start handing out paperwork at the first visit. If you had give her your All About Me forms, it would have been a lot harder to turn round and say you can't offer her a place! Did she say when she would get back to you? I would wait until tomorrow and email her saying that due to other commitments you will be unable to offer the a space, but you wish them luck in their search for suitable childcare.

27. Likes lollipop kid, Kiddleywinks liked this post
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

Yes I kept thinking well why don't i have both children? Or the nursery has both?
    It could be that the nursery doesn't take under 1s or has no vacancies at the moment, so she's looking for a stop gap until a space becomes available.

29. Likes lollipop kid liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mouse View Post
    To be honest, it doesn't sound like she was totally serious.

Do you know other childminders in the area? You could ask round to see if she has been to see any of them. Some parents seem to go round visiting everyone, but never commit to anything.

Also, never believe it when a parent says you are the most expensive and everyone is cheaper than you. If you are that much more expensive, why come to see you in the first place?

This is the ideal example of why you don't start handing out paperwork at the first visit. If you had give her your All About Me forms, it would have been a lot harder to turn round and say you can't offer her a place! Did she say when she would get back to you? I would wait until tomorrow and email her saying that due to other commitments you will be unable to offer the a space, but you wish them luck in their search for suitable childcare.
    She said she phoned round all cms and they were all fully booked and one of them passed on my number
    The thing is I know for a fact I'm the same price also my LA said the price was right x

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast