enquiries help please
Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  2
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Post Thanks / Like

Advice please!
    I've just had my first proper phone call (eeekk)
    3 years old (4 in Feb )
    Mon-fri 11.30 -5.30
    pick up from school nursery at 11.30(which I will have to drive to)
    Wants to start in Jan.

I said I have other families I am awaiting on space confirmation (as i didn't want to commit over the phone straight away)
    I also said I would have to charge while she was at nursery due to using up space is this right yes?

What should I do? Is it too much every day to be tied to nursery pick up mid morning?
    Thoughts? What do I do about deposit? Settling in sessions? When ?
    Sorry I feel a bit scared now lol
    Last edited by crumpet54; 11-11-2015 at 12:15 PM.

Registered Childminder since
    July07
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

Wow.. well done on getting an enquiry

I would think about how it would impact on your routine... how far away is the nursery? Would you mind the drive?

Looking at the age of the child who is 4 in Feb, he/she will be starting school in Sept? So it looks like it will only be an 1130am pick up from January until end of August? So only short term.
    This could be a good one to start with as you know it will come to an end in Sept and the mindee will either stop coming or be in your over 5y age range, giving you a spare space again.

Different childminders charge different rates, some charge whilst the child is at nursery, others don't. I don't charge as I've always had a couple more children and after school children so no big loss of wage for me. There's no correct way of charging, I personally would just charge from when I left the house so probably 7hrs but you could quite easily charge a full days price but be prepared for Mum to find somewhere else if she doesn't want to pay you and nursery.

I would arrange a visit, and if she's happy, take a deposit and sign contracts on the day, as January is not too far away. Setting in session in beginning Dec as xmas is coming up.

Good luck in what you decide
    Time Out.. The perfect time for thinking about what you're going to destroy next.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by JCrakers View Post
    Wow.. well done on getting an enquiry

I would think about how it would impact on your routine... how far away is the nursery? Would you mind the drive?

Looking at the age of the child who is 4 in Feb, he/she will be starting school in Sept? So it looks like it will only be an 1130am pick up from January until end of August? So only short term.
    This could be a good one to start with as you know it will come to an end in Sept and the mindee will either stop coming or be in your over 5y age range, giving you a spare space again.

Different childminders charge different rates, some charge whilst the child is at nursery, others don't. I don't charge as I've always had a couple more children and after school children so no big loss of wage for me. There's no correct way of charging, I personally would just charge from when I left the house so probably 7hrs but you could quite easily charge a full days price but be prepared for Mum to find somewhere else if she doesn't want to pay you and nursery.

I would arrange a visit, and if she's happy, take a deposit and sign contracts on the day, as January is not too far away. Setting in session in beginning Dec as xmas is coming up.

Good luck in what you decide
    Thanks, yes it's not too long to do it for is it? I don't mind the drive it would only be a 5 min drive but too far to walk.
    How much deposit would you do? A months? Then put that towards the first bill or save until the last bill when they leave?

Nov 10
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by crumpet54 View Post
    Thanks, yes it's not too long to do it for is it? I don't mind the drive it would only be a 5 min drive but too far to walk.
    How much deposit would you do? A months? Then put that towards the first bill or save until the last bill when they leave?
    Again it is up to you- I take 4 weeks fee to reserve the place and refund on first months invoice. But I am strictly payment in advance on 1st of the month, so no payment no childcare. Keeping the deposit until the end of the contract will give you more security.

Personally I would not do a 11.30am pick-up as it would disrupt our morning outings, but if you don't have other children to work around (yet) it could be a good start- do confirm that they plan for child to start full-time school in Sept so you know the end point of the 11.30am pick ups (I'd write it in contract too as long term it could be very awkward to have to pick up at that time). And check what they want in school holidays.

Sept 09
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

Oh how I hate doing nursery runs. I've been doing them for 6 years. It's so difficult not to do them though. Usually I take on a child around 10 - 12mths old and then eventually they get to nursery age and then I have to do the drop-offs / collections. I currently have 2 at nursery, both will leave for school next Sept but then my current 2yr olds will no doubt start soon after. That seems to be the pattern. Sometimes I get maybe a term off between children but for me I accept (although don't like) that it's just part of the job.

xxx

6. Likes chris goodyear, Maza liked this post
    Feb 06
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

As others have said this will be like a 'taster' of what it is like to do a nursery run. I also don't do them anymore. Getting the others in and out of the car in the rain etc was just too much hassle in the end. Plus, do you don't you, charge when they are at nursery/preschool is always a tricky question to ask parents. Well done for getting work so early on.

Post Thanks / Like

Ah now I'm even more confused! I suppose I could see if they have some one who could drop the lo off to me after nursery? Or would that be rude to ask?
    The thing is I'm by 2 other schools both within walking distance to me, it's a shame it's not one of those!
    It would also mean that we would never be able to go out for the whole day or majority of the day (zoo or farm for example ) ah decisions ay!

Feb 06
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

It's not rude to ask. But if you are beside the other 2 schools what about asking staff to put advertising leaflets in bookbags to drum up some business from there. And yes you will be tied down and not able to go out all day which is harder when the weather gets warmer. Have a think and imagine what it would be like doing all this running about. But as you've propably read other threads on here, once a child starts it is hard to stop their contract.

Aug 11
    Post Thanks / Like

I quite like doing nursery runs as it breaks up the day for us plus I have some days where I have morning to myself because mindees are at nursery lol.

Personally I do charge when they are at nursery but only if I drop them off too, if they just wanted a pick up then I'd just charge from 11.30

Post Thanks / Like

Lots to think about
    I think it's because it's every day which is putting me off.
    Yes I'll pop into the schools tomorrow and see what they say. I've also got a cm network group meeting tomorrow and Tuesday so might get something from that.
    I remember reading on here ages ago about not saying yes to the first family that come along!

Mar 15
    Post Thanks / Like

I was guilty of saying yes to my first real enquiry. I'd been unsuccessfully advertising for almost 2 months. (I'm terrible at self promotion) and I agreed to do a school run that was quite a walk away. (Even when I preferred to not do school ages at first) Now it's really not ideal, it takes quite a bit out of the day and I really feel that lost time. It does definitely break up the day though, but it does mean that I can't really consider a substantial day trip. (Though having 2 babies and days filled with naps, nappies and bottles doesn't help either)

Everyone has a different preference with building their business, it just depends what's right for you.

Post Thanks / Like

Do the 2 local schools also offer nursery facilities? If so its worth considering if there could be a clash if you had mindees who needed care from those schools. Although with it being short term I wouldn't be quick to rule it out, it sounds like a decent start, good luck :-)

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by natlou82 View Post
    Do the 2 local schools also offer nursery facilities? If so its worth considering if there could be a clash if you had mindees who needed care from those schools. Although with it being short term I wouldn't be quick to rule it out, it sounds like a decent start, good luck :-)
    Yes both schools have nursery's attached.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by greenfaerie View Post
    I was guilty of saying yes to my first real enquiry. I'd been unsuccessfully advertising for almost 2 months. (I'm terrible at self promotion) and I agreed to do a school run that was quite a walk away. (Even when I preferred to not do school ages at first) Now it's really not ideal, it takes quite a bit out of the day and I really feel that lost time. It does definitely break up the day though, but it does mean that I can't really consider a substantial day trip. (Though having 2 babies and days filled with naps, nappies and bottles doesn't help either)

Everyone has a different preference with building their business, it just depends what's right for you.
    That's what I'm thinking I do want to be out and about and think will I begrudge clock watching all morning ready to pick up!
    Plus I will have my own 18 month old daughter to think of
    I think I no answer tbh, I am lucky this is my first phone call and have only been advertising properly a couple of days.
    Last edited by crumpet54; 11-11-2015 at 09:19 PM.

Simona Guest

Advice please!
    I've just had my first proper phone call (eeekk)
    3 years old (4 in Feb )
    Mon-fri 11.30 -5.30
    pick up from school nursery at 11.30(which I will have to drive to)
    Wants to start in Jan.

I said I have other families I am awaiting on space confirmation (as i didn't want to commit over the phone straight away)
    I also said I would have to charge while she was at nursery due to using up space is this right yes?

What should I do? Is it too much every day to be tied to nursery pick up mid morning?
    Thoughts? What do I do about deposit? Settling in sessions? When ?
    Sorry I feel a bit scared now lol

This child will be accessing 15 free hours the term after his 3rd birthday...will the child do so at nursery?...or will you offer the funding?

Cms can choose what to charge but if we charge when children are accessing the free hours in another setting then we invalidate the free entitlement and parents will pay twice

Just something to think about for the future...also you need to know what will happen when the child is not getting the free hours which is only for 38 weeks at the moment...will you be required to offer a full space?

At the moment many cms will not do pick ups but when the 30 hours comes in we may have no choice as many children will share the free childcare between 2 settings.
    Lots to plan ahead for...good luck!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Simona View Post

This child will be accessing 15 free hours the term after his 3rd birthday...will the child do so at nursery?...or will you offer the funding?

Cms can choose what to charge but if we charge when children are accessing the free hours in another setting then we invalidate the free entitlement and parents will pay twice

Just something to think about for the future...also you need to know what will happen when the child is not getting the free hours which is only for 38 weeks at the moment...will you be required to offer a full space?

At the moment many cms will not do pick ups but when the 30 hours comes in we may have no choice as many children will share the free childcare between 2 settings.
    Lots to plan ahead for...good luck!
    Hi Yes thanks for your thoughts, there is so much to take in mind isn't there
    I have had a call this morning from another family- wanting 3 full days 10 month old. Mum is popping in this afternoon for a coffee and a chat it sounds promising. Although 10 month is when anxiety kicks in isn't it! Hopefully will be ok.

Simona Guest

Hi Yes thanks for your thoughts, there is so much to take in mind isn't there
    I have had a call this morning from another family- wanting 3 full days 10 month old. Mum is popping in this afternoon for a coffee and a chat it sounds promising. Although 10 month is when anxiety kicks in isn't it! Hopefully will be ok.
    How lovely...a 10 month old and no worries about 'free' childcare for a while!!

I hope it went well

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Simona View Post

How lovely...a 10 month old and no worries about 'free' childcare for a while!!

I hope it went well
    No Simona it was awful lol read further down lol she wa sa nightmare and very patronising. I've turned her down lol