PLA publishes a guide to respond to the DfE Funding Review consultation
Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  4
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Simona Guest

Default PLA publishes a guide to respond to the DfE Funding Review consultation

If you have not yet responded or feel you need a bit of help to get to the magic figure ...here is a bit of help from PLA

Alliance publishes funding evidence guidance for practitioners | Teaching News | Teach Nursery

Link to the guide here

https://www.pre-school.org.uk/fundingreview

2. Likes AgentTink, Kiddleywinks liked this post
    Registered Childminder since
    Mar 10
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for the link. I had an attempt at replying just using my figures from my expenses last year and used a sample salary figure of minimum wage x 40 hours per week i work, as this was the only way I could figure how to get a salary figure. Lets just hope that lots of nurseries respond as they can really show the "true cost" of delivering due to being able to have real data on salaries

Registered Childminder since
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

I chatted to the person who put this together the other day. I explained how difficult it is for childminders to work out a figure because of the way our expenses / income works.

They hope we will reply to the consultation because we need to let them know that the money is not enough but I think it's going to be very hard to give them the figures they are asking for ......

Simona Guest

Quote Originally Posted by AgentTink View Post
    Thanks for the link. I had an attempt at replying just using my figures from my expenses last year and used a sample salary figure of minimum wage x 40 hours per week i work, as this was the only way I could figure how to get a salary figure. Lets just hope that lots of nurseries respond as they can really show the "true cost" of delivering due to being able to have real data on salaries
    Nurseries will definitely show their salaries but Cms can also work out an income they wish to make from their business...or we should call it profit.
    I have worked the figure from what I need my small business to give me as profit to cover my expenses...rather than starting from what I charge....that makes no sense now but difficult to explain .

I looked at the 2 guides from PLA and the 2nd ...the one about delivery costs...covers it all I think and specifies CMs income as drawing!

Good luck everyone!

Post Thanks / Like

Just finished a meeting with our LA
    Sounds like the government are planning to announce the 30hr figure before the consultation review results are finalised

Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by agency12 View Post
    Sounds like the government are planning to announce the 30hr figure before the consultation review results are finalised
    That doesn't surprise me. They've never taken any notice of any of their previous consultations, so why bother waiting for the results of this one?

You only have to look at the agency plans. Did they listen when consultation after consultation said they wouldn't work? No, they ploughed ahead anyway and look where that got them

What concerns me is not so much the amount the government will pay for funded places (which isn't actually a bad amount at the moment), but the amount the LAs decide they're going to pass on to the childcare providers.

8. Likes Kiddleywinks liked this post
    Simona Guest

Quote Originally Posted by agency12 View Post
    They have done so already by introducing the Childcare Bill before the consultation was open and the Bill is not receiving much approval in the Lords.
    We do know the 30 hours will come into effect but without an agreement on the reviewed funding the govt is testing the waters!

Look out for the Big Childcare Conversation which has now been launched...I am about to post news of this although I had already mentioned it when feeding back from the London OBC

Simona Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Mouse View Post
    That doesn't surprise me. They've never taken any notice of any of their previous consultations, so why bother waiting for the results of this one?

You only have to look at the agency plans. Did they listen when consultation after consultation said they wouldn't work? No, they ploughed ahead anyway and look where that got them

What concerns me is not so much the amount the government will pay for funded places (which isn't actually a bad amount at the moment), but the amount the LAs decide they're going to pass on to the childcare providers.
    Good question Mouse...are the LAs going to be allowed to keep part of the funding in future even if it is increased?
    The DfE would be really stupid to let that happen....I am sure this will be part of the negotiations and worth raising at Big Childcare Conversation
    As we know the DfE has promised to consult with the sector and has formed a taskforce....we really need to hear what comes out of their meetings...and will they include NDNA and PLA?...mmm!

You say the funding isn't actually bad...it depends on which LA you are in...we know some pay the same as our fees, some even higher but in my area providers subsidise funding by 50%...that is not viable.

Another interesting thing is the newly introduced National Living Wage...how will that fare against funding at £3.50 and paying higher wages to staff...including our assistants?

With reference to agencies...I remain uneasy...it has been clear a long time ago no one wants them...so why register them? why let them sit on their registration without any cms joining when there is an acute shortage of spaces?
    remember Wilshaw saying agencies will raise standards with CMs?...he has got to eat his hat now with the latest figures out...but I bet he is too arrogant to do so.
    or will agencies be activated for the 30 Hours of childcare?
    Why is Agency 12 trying to register when the interest from cms is so low?...that we my never know.

Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Simona View Post
    You say the funding isn't actually bad...it depends on which LA you are in...we know some pay the same as our fees, some even higher but in my area providers subsidise funding by 50%...that is not viable.
    I mean that the amount the government pays to the LA isn't that bad. I think people get confused and think the government pays us a pitiful amount when it is actually the LAs keeping a percentage of it that makes our funding so low.

Isn't the current rate paid by the government about £5.09?

12. Likes Kiddleywinks liked this post
    Simona Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Mouse View Post
    I mean that the amount the government pays to the LA isn't that bad. I think people get confused and think the government pays us a pitiful amount when it is actually the LAs keeping a percentage of it that makes our funding so low.

Isn't the current rate paid by the government about £5.09?
    My understanding from 'listening' to the powers that be is that £5.09 is what LAs are encouraged to pass to us...I recall listening to Truss herself when she announced it in grand style in London.

Many LAs do but others don't...you are right LAs are allowed to 'cream off' from the overall funding they get from central govt because it is not ringfenced anymore
    As an example many pay well for the 2 year olds but the rate drops too much for 3/4 year olds...I believe there is a toolkit we can look at to compare funding between LAs?

Yes I also see what you are saying ...people think it is the DfE that funds us while in fact it is the LA that work out the magic formula.

Would it not be better if settings were funded directly by the DfE?...or is that not what providers would like? and it could be based on inspection grades without the LAs' conditions attached?...just a thought.