Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Registered Childminder since
    July 12
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Default Help needed about a letter template

We have just returned from hospital after hearing my child is very poorly & is on the waiting list to have an appointment at a leading children's hospital to help manage the condition non of my parents are awaire & i feel i should advise them that an appointment could come with lest than 4 weeks notice to them that i need 2 days off as its an over night stay. Now my problem is i had take 1 day off last year as my child was very ill & 2 parents went mad it was 48 hrs notice given & not 4 weeks calling me not flexable & unreliable now i am faced with the stress of an poorly child & this has any one any ideas how i word a letter saying I will be remaining open & working as normal & that soon as i know they will know but could be short notice.? should i tell them whats wrong with her? HELP

Sept 14
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

Sorry to hear that your daughter is unwell.

I'm not very good a wording stuff, but remember it is your business and, more importantly your family. Don't give them more information than you are happy to. I would be tempted to give them as much notice as possible that you WILL be having at 2 days off for 'a family matter', but unfortunately you may not be able to give as much notice as you would like. Remind them that, unlike if you are ill with a sickness bug they will get notice. Only tell them why if it will make it less stressful for you.

3. Likes Hatchlings, loocyloo liked this post
    Nov 10
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

Sorry to hear your daughter is unwell.

Whether you tell the parents about your child's condition depends on your relationship with them. You do not have to, and it is confidential of course, so no one would expect you to.

What you could do is send round a 'general reminder' to all of your contract conditions- that you take x weeks holiday a year and give at least x weeks notice. But, for any reason, you may close at any time without notice and in these case parents will not be charged. And supply a list of a few local CMers who may be able to help in such cases. Maybe as part of a newsletter.

If you feel comfortable telling the parents then do so and explain as you suggest... but do not feel you have to. Until you can give them an actual closure date there is not much they can do anyway. If they really can not deal with you closing occasionally (for any reason) maybe they should be looking for a nursery instead.

You should not be feel guilty for closing or be made to feel guilty by anyone.

5. Likes rickysmiths, Hatchlings, loocyloo liked this post
    Aug 94
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

So those parents can predict four weeks in advance when their child is going to be ill! How convenient for them. How rude and they may have been put out but no one can help their child being ill.

I would write to all the parents and say that you will have to take 2 days off in the next 4-5 weeks for a family matter. You are unable at this time to confirm the exact day but will inform them as soon as you know. Do you know any other cm who could offer care for your parents for those two days if they needed it? If you do speak to them and see if they can help you. If they can then when you write the letter you could say 'if you require cover for the two days I will be off please come and speak to me and I may be able to arrange alternative care'.

You know sometimes in life these things happen and our families take priority. A few years ago my husband was rushed into hospital late one Friday night, I was ringing parents on the Sunday telling them I would be off for the week. I did find alternative care for one family who wanted me to try, the others took time off and/or used family and friends. They were all understanding because they knew it could have happened to them.

It must be a very worrying time for you and you have to concentrate on your daughter. You are giving the parents lots of notice that there will be two days off. It sounds as if you may have a problem with the two sets of parents if they are still with you but there is nothing you can do.

I have to say when parents sign Contracts I do have four weeks notice of holidays on either side but I explain that I inform them in Jan when my holidays are (i gave them all the dates this morning) but that I keep 3-4 days as 'floating days' to use for the unexpected like funerals, Uni Open Days and will undertake to give as much notice as possible but it is unlikely to be 4 weeks. This year I have given them 21 out of 25 days holiday confirmed so I have 4 days to use through the year.

Having said all that I had a parent two years ago and my Dad passed away. We actually had 4 weeks notice of the funeral because we had to fit it in between to of his Grandchildren's A Level Exams. This parent didn't use everyday and asked if I would swap the day of the Funeral (one of her days) with the day before it. I was so shocked at the insensitivity needless to say we parted company soon after that!

Good luck and be firm and clear.

7. Likes Hatchlings, loocyloo liked this post