OFSTED National Consultative Forum...please read
Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  6
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Simona Guest

Default OFSTED National Consultative Forum...please read

Feedback from June O'Sullivan who attends these meetings and reports on what OBC (Ofsted Big Conversation) views are

Do read as there are various useful bits of information including the possible cost of re inspections!!
    this is all linked to OBC so make sure you get your regional meetings feedback and know who your CM representatives are

Any issue you have about Ofsted please raise them...they will be taken forward.
    I pick up lots of concerns from discussions here and elsewhere and take them along to the London Steering Group

https://www.leyf.org.uk/blog/the-ofs...e-and-respond/

2. Likes Kiddleywinks liked this post
    Registered Childminder since
    Sept 09
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

£1300 for an inspection????? That is hugely more than I was anticipating it might be

xx

Simona Guest

Quote Originally Posted by AliceK View Post
    £1300 for an inspection????? That is hugely more than I was anticipating it might be

xx
    Panic not.
    The feedback does say these are 'the emerging figures'...so not set in stone and still far from being implemented...still they are eye watering.

OBC does not support this as they think it will be more useful if Ofsted concentrate on inspecting providers on time
    I will keep you posted

5. Likes AliceK liked this post
    Aug 94
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

I was expecting to pay £300-400 a year Registration fee. A lot less than the estimated cost of joining an Agency.

Our County Hertfordshire did a feasibility study because they wondered (the EY Dept) if they might set up an Agency. They worked out to support a cm, provide the essential training, First Aid and Child Protection plus CPD Training at least 3 times a year would mean a min cost to the cm of £84 per month so approx £1008 per year. they have not and are not going to be setting up an Agency because they don't think it is a viable business.

I have always said I would rather pay Ofsted more to keep an Individual Inspection. £300 to 400 a year is reasonable compared to the potential cost od being in an Agency. Over 3-4 years it builds up a fund of £900 to £1200 or £1200 to £1600.

It works out at approx £1.60 per working day if you have five weeks a year holiday so if you have the equivalent of 3 EY children a day you would have to put their fees up between 50p and 70p a day each to cover the fees. So approx £44 per month to save. Is that very much over a day? I don't think so to retain our Independence. It will also go in our Expenses and ultimately reduce our Tax Bill as well!

7. Likes Kiddleywinks, lollipop kid liked this post
    Simona Guest

Thanks for your reply RS...although I confess to being confused by it as I cannot link the 'paying for an inspection' with the CMs registration fee and what we would pay an agency?
    This is a proposal for providers to pay for their own inspection...which is part of our registration and regulation with Ofsted....which they pay annually to Ofsted to cover the cycle of inspections?
    These are providers who have waited so long they are willing that staggering figure to be inspected....I believe OBC stance on this to be right if Ofsted have messed up on their own system?

It also show that our fee of £35 hardly covers the inspection so we are vulnerable

But I hope you will attend the next London meeting and put your opinion there...I look forward to it

As far as the CMs registration fee is concerned.....the issue has obviously been put on the back burner but I would say it will resurface in time when we are least prepared for it :thumbsup

By the way my LA is setting up an agency...all very official now
    Last edited by Simona; 26-11-2014 at 09:48 AM.

Aug 94
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

Simona I will attend the next London meeting if I am told when it is, evening or Sat would be a change for us childminders like the ones around the Country?

I think in fact the Fees being proposed were intended as the cost of an Inspection if the provider requested it after an unfavorable one. Is that not what was briefly discussed at one of the meetings? So if you have a judgement you may want to improve you could pay a fee to have an extra non scheduled Inspection.

10. Likes lollipop kid liked this post
    Simona Guest

Quote Originally Posted by rickysmiths View Post
    Simona I will attend the next London meeting if I am told when it is, evening or Sat would be a change for us childminders like the ones around the Country?

I think in fact the Fees being proposed were intended as the cost of an Inspection if the provider requested it after an unfavorable one. Is that not what was briefly discussed at one of the meetings? So if you have a judgement you may want to improve you could pay a fee to have an extra non scheduled Inspection.
    I have shared the minutes from the London Steering Group and the next meeting is possibly in the new year...as soon as I know I will share but it will also be on the OBC website
    I do feel we could have one earlier but it is not up to me...there is so much happening at the moment as you can see from the feedback I posted below from the Consultative Forum.

I would like to raise your suggestion of having a meeting evening or weekends but I am not sure what I can do...please email June or the contact on the OBC website and they will take your suggestion on board.
    I do not know why we meet during the week...could it be the availability of the London venue and the chair herself? not sure

you are right....I too thought this was for 're-inspections' for those now ready to show improvement on their recent downgrade but it appears Ofsted are proposing paying for inspections in the 1st place...clear as mud but we can get clarification on this.

I can only do my best in passing on the messages...bear with me but please use the website to raise any suggestions you may have
    I am in favour of all voices being heard

Could you let me know which other regional areas offer a Saturday or evening meeting...there are 7 areas altogether I think
    Last edited by Simona; 26-11-2014 at 12:14 PM.

12. Likes rickysmiths liked this post