Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Simona Guest

Registered Childminder since
    Nov 13
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

I'm not against baseline assessment - but I am against it being in the form they are suggesting, not taken from Obs of children playing.
    I always baselined on entry, there is no other way for a teacher/ school to prove progress has been made and it is good for checking a child's particular needs and planning next steps, after all that's what we do when children start with us.

What I don't think is right is that the proposal is so narrow and based on a test not observations.

Simona Guest

Quote Originally Posted by FloraDora View Post
    I'm not against baseline assessment - but I am against it being in the form they are suggesting, not taken from Obs of children playing.
    I always baselined on entry, there is no other way for a teacher/ school to prove progress has been made and it is good for checking a child's particular needs and planning next steps, after all that's what we do when children start with us.

What I don't think is right is that the proposal is so narrow and based on a test not observations.
    Yes Flora Dora...and that is why the ECM, Cambridge Primary Trust, NAHT, TACTYC and many more have been campaigning against this for quite a while now....I thought it may be of interest here in this forum

It is not an assessment but a TEST
    Considering what is already in place with the EYFS and the EY Profile and ...with the EY sector already involved in the current assessment ...the solution should not be rocket science for the DfE to see, adapt and improve on?
    Reception teachers have no need to test children if they used the current system in a more effective way and why stand up in the world as the nation that tests children to their well being detriment?

The NUT itself said at their last conference...they would boycott the new tests by applying 'principled non compliance'...I love that stance and hope they carry it out.

Thank you for your reply.

Registered Childminder since
    Nov 13
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

To furthur my point - I have experience of completing baseline assessments in the form of PIPS in the early 90's - completed them in the first week of starting school mainly maths and English focus. I found myself (as an outstanding practioner ) focussing on these areas as the children were tested again at the end of the year!! If my pay rise was going to be influenced by data then I fell into that system...for two years..then I came to my senses and returned to normal!
    I then was the local spokesperson against it and created my own baseline that incorporated PSHE and charecturistics of learning. It took some time to get others on my side because PIPS which was analysed by Durham University gave excellent data that showed how low the children were when they arrived and the great progress they made, but may still be low attainment at the end of the year...the key problem was how then that led into the new 'levels' in KS1and2. Aswell as the how you learn aspect and children and parents becoming low in confidence because they couldn't achieve high in the maths and English, even though they were good at problem solving, were super focussed loved learning, showed that they were really creative etc... Which stayed with them, failures too early.
    Thankfully it was dropped by my LEA.
    The other aspect is that in the early days children may not show what they can do because of new experience, new relationships ..this is to the advantage of the teacher and school...low score at beginning helps to show big progress data!!!! But doesn't help children.
    Unfortunately, I think we can protest as much as we like, but data led evidence is what the government want and it does take too long to get the evidence by observations, by christmas ( eyfs) a whole term has gone by - we just need to come up with a quicker way of assessing on entry...like using parents....but schools are waryofdoing this as sadly not all parents can be believed or are able to assist.
    But before you leap Simona, I am against it, I can just see both sides and am at a loss as to how to please the governments data led obsession in any other way. ...so there is a hugely bigger picture - the GOVERNMENT!!!!

5. Likes hectors house liked this post
    Simona Guest

Quote Originally Posted by FloraDora View Post
    To furthur my point - I have experience of completing baseline assessments in the form of PIPS in the early 90's - completed them in the first week of starting school mainly maths and English focus. I found myself (as an outstanding practioner ) focussing on these areas as the children were tested again at the end of the year!! If my pay rise was going to be influenced by data then I fell into that system...for two years..then I came to my senses and returned to normal!
    I then was the local spokesperson against it and created my own baseline that incorporated PSHE and charecturistics of learning. It took some time to get others on my side because PIPS which was analysed by Durham University gave excellent data that showed how low the children were when they arrived and the great progress they made, but may still be low attainment at the end of the year...the key problem was how then that led into the new 'levels' in KS1and2. Aswell as the how you learn aspect and children and parents becoming low in confidence because they couldn't achieve high in the maths and English, even though they were good at problem solving, were super focussed loved learning, showed that they were really creative etc... Which stayed with them, failures too early.
    Thankfully it was dropped by my LEA.
    The other aspect is that in the early days children may not show what they can do because of new experience, new relationships ..this is to the advantage of the teacher and school...low score at beginning helps to show big progress data!!!! But doesn't help children.
    Unfortunately, I think we can protest as much as we like, but data led evidence is what the government want and it does take too long to get the evidence by observations, by christmas ( eyfs) a whole term has gone by - we just need to come up with a quicker way of assessing on entry...like using parents....but schools are waryofdoing this as sadly not all parents can be believed or are able to assist.
    But before you leap Simona, I am against it, I can just see both sides and am at a loss as to how to please the governments data led obsession in any other way. ...so there is a hugely bigger picture - the GOVERNMENT!!!!
    The aim of posting this was to share information Flora Dora
    I am not 'leaping' anywhere but I ...personally ...am concerned at this new test
    I have read extensively and listened to arguments about this since last summer and have come to the decision that I am not in favour

I totally agree with you that it takes time to collect evidence of where the children are but ...in my view......this is not the way and ...as mentioned ....there is an existing method that can be put to better use
    I have been involved in this for 21 years...it needs updating as far as I am concerned

As for govt wanting evidence...I would suggest they look at what is already out there and not base new policies on thin air...should I mention Truss and her destructive policies here which are being endorsed by her successor?

I will continue to protest alongside others who feel the same....if others are in favour of this new test then I would certainly respect their view.