Own children and funded places
Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Own children and funded places

What do others do with their own children who are entitled to funded places?

My son is currently in nursery which I pay for but as of January he gets funded. Since starting the process to become a childminder nursery have become awkward with me and I'm wondering whether to keep him there or take him out?

If you have children who are entitled to funded hours do you send them somewhere else or just have them at home with you?

Registered Childminder since
    Oct 05
    Post Thanks / Like

Both of my older children went to preschool, I feel it is important for them to be in a larger setting while ratios are higher (easier on them) and be away from mummy for a shorter periods before they have to deal with school full time.

Just in case you don't know you can't claim the 15hrs for your own children.

oct 02
    Latest Inspection Grade
    outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Until recently you could have taken the funded hours yourself (once agreed with LA) but now you can't claim for your own children. ( wonder what happens to children who attend a preschool run by a parent/relative? )
    Maybe look for another preschool if you are unhappy.

Post Thanks / Like

That's how I feel but my current provider is being really awkward - I think it's due to me setting up as a childminder.

I may look for somewhere else for my son to go.

Sept 14
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

My daughter goes to the nursery attached to the school she'll be going to next year. Several of the staff were childminders when their children were younger and have been all been really supportive. Sounds like I'm lucky.

Post Thanks / Like

She used to be childminder but now she has 4 children of her own (3 under 5) she has set up a pre school in our village. We got on really well but all of a sudden things have become strange.

For example it was my sons birthday party and turned out only one parent got the invitation, she was meant to be coming with her children plus the assistant and her child but neither turned up and then didn't even say anything the following week. Yesterday my son got sent home because he was ill (apparently) when i collected him the first thing they said was he isn't allowed back for 48 hours (which is fine, I completely agree with if generally ill) but is completely himself, even running around at preschool, so much so they commented and said he seemed himself, today all he keeps asking is when is he going to school.

Then I have I had one of the assistants emailing me (I don't think she realises I know who she is as she is new) enquiring about my services but not really asking parent questions. For example what parents first question is how many children
    can you care for at one time?!

I have always been completely honest with my intentions, I'm pregnant with no 2 and as I was made redundant in June I was setting up as a childminder with the plans to start in the new year.

I thought childminders were quite a tight community within themselves but this has really made me put my guard up.

I don't really want to move my son as he has been there for 18 months and loves her but I'm beginning to feel if things continue I will have no chose

Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

When my children were 2.5 or 3, they all went to either playgroup, nursery or another childminder. I thought it was important for them to have time away from me and to have something of their own to do.

I would start looking round to see what other options are available. Children are very adaptable and he'd soon get used to a new setting, especially if they are nicer to him! With his funding starting in January it's a good time to move him. Maybe arrange a few visits at other places and see how he gets on

Mar 14
    Post Thanks / Like

It might not be because you are in pre reg but that you pay for his fees at the minute and when January comes they might be getting less for the funded hours than from you. If you move him you are losing your child's entitlement for a free place and they are free to offer that place to a fee paying child on a new contract rather than keep the place for your son who is already settled and happy, don't you dare give in

I don't think it is because you are in pre reg as she was a childminder herself, unless she thinks you will be looking to open a pre school next door to her somewhere in the future

Anyone under Ofsted have to abide by the working in partnership with parents policy and if your sure they are being funny because of your pre reg you can ask for a meeting (by email so you have a paper trail) to discuss how things are going with your son, then slip in how you are just learning about all the Ofsted rules and regulations and the EYFS stuff, complaints, working with others etc and how she will know what you mean because she was a childminder who just wanted to make a living like you but had to go through all the red tape and follow procedures to do it. Just to nudge her a little iyswim

Good luck with this

Apr 99
    Post Thanks / Like

I agree with mum67. I would ask for a meeting and voice your concerns. Then follow up in writing!
    That lady is being unprofessional on several levels and if you feel that your relationship is not what it should be then, she needs to be made aware of it. Some people go through life giving others the cold shoulder and get away with this behaviour because nobody stands up to them.
    Write down your concerns and what they do well (keep it balanced) so that you are prepared. There might be some valid explanation about the non delivery of the party invitations but.....what kind of person would do that to a small child????
    After the meeting and responses you will then be in a position to decide whether it is better for your little boy to stay or be moved. It is very important for you and your little boy that he spends time in a group setting before Reception Class.
    I wish you well.