New starters process...and assertiveness..
Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  3
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Registered Childminder since
    Post Thanks / Like

Default New starters process...and assertiveness..

Feeling a little bit... I'm not sure.. annoyed with myself.

Had my first parent round today to talk about care of her baby. I tried to be prepared. Clean, tidy house, Paperwork on table, examples,, policies, photos and information booklet.

All went quite well and she is going to bringing little one back next week for some settling in period and then contract signing if that goes well to start the week after..

but now shes gone I just feel I wasn't very assertive and forgot some stuff. For example I forgot about deposits, should I have taken the deposit when she said she wanted me and would like to try the free settling in sessions next week?

Being assertive isn't a strong point of mine. I am quite shy.. I am worried if I don't toughen up I am going to get taken for a ride by people...

I am sure I will get the hang of it....

What is your starters process, what do you tell them in the informal chat about what you offer? When do you take a deposit? and do you sign contracts after any settling in sessions?

Also any tips on being assertive..?

:-/

Apr 01
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Hi and welcome

Starting childminding is a steep learning curve and people work differently because it is your own business. I don't offer free settling in sessions until the parent has signed a contract and paid any deposit etc otherwise you could become a free babysitter and never see them again. I also offer a 4 week period where either side can cancel immediately after the contract starts (never had to use it) called a settling period.

Being Assertive - Don't agree to anything immediately learn to say something like "I need to check my diary." or "Let me get back to you on that." That gives you time to think about whether you want to do it or not.

Assertiveness is also something that you learn - after a very silly request from parents of child I was looking after I found saying no easier to every one.

3. Likes Mindful Mama liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for replying :-)

Yeah I think that is what I am going to do in future, contracts and deposits first. I think maybe that is why I have this uneasy deflated sort of feeling now, because I feel like I've done it the wrong way round.

Oh well, hopefully this wont bite me in the butt and all will be fine and I guess this was a good learning opportunity :-)

sep09
    Latest Inspection Grade
    outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

Mindful Mama we've all done things when we started off that we soon changed - you learn from your own mistakes , and from advice and support from those around you and forums like this one.
    Don't be annoyed with yourself , you've obviously done lots right if mum is bringing baby back!

6. Likes Mindful Mama liked this post
    Apri 14
    Post Thanks / Like

I'm also just starting my childminding business and this has happened to me quite a few times which has lead me to believe I was doing something wrong but the most important thing is to keep trying. Just keep organised, have everything ready in advance. Also, I practice a lot before any parents come, maybe that'll help.

And, as mentioned by tulip0803, I also only offer the free settling period once the contract and a deposit & retainer as this is an assurance.

Good luck!!x

Post Thanks / Like

Even after 24 years I still worry about "not getting it right" I have now devised a tick list of things to cover explain to parents/carers that it's a reminder for me and proof to ofsted of what I'm telling new parents/carers we then both sign and date it. Also includes their contact details and agreed charges, hours required, etc. it has helped me feel much more confident x
    Iv also learnt you can't please every one and how important having the right families that fit with your setting is, good luck x

Sept 10
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

I would email her and say that you realised that on getting advice from your insurance company that contracts need to be signed and a deposit given, then you can arrange settling in. I would not have the child come for settling in and mum leave them with me unless you have everything in place personally, so if you are doing settling in with mum seeing how it goes make sure mum stays for the settling in.

10. Likes Mindful Mama liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Ok, thanks for your advice :-)

I will send her an email I think. I'm just a bit worried I am going to come accross unprofessional and therefore she is going to change her mind...:-/

Ah well, I am sure I will get the hang of this :-)

Post Thanks / Like

I was going to ask her to fill out all the consent forms, about child information forms before leaving him in my care for any settling in and then letting her sign contracts as agreed one day in the week... (and accept if this goes wrong and she decides she doesn't want care its because I should have done this first and then learn from my mistakes for next time)

Would that be ok? I am worried now that if I don't have contracts signed before settling in then I am not going to be insured so need that first..I am with morton michele

but also worried if I email her telling her that I need to have contracts signed first after all that I am going to look like I don't know what I am doing and that this might put her off... :-/

Simona Guest

Mindful Mama...we all do things differently and you will find your own style in the end

Some cms ask parents to visit and first time present them with huge amounts of paperwork and portfolios all lined up on the table...some parents run a mile while others like it
    It is always good to say you will look at your vacancy and consider all parents who are on your waiting list?

Other cms prefer to just get to know the parents and invite them for an initial visit to find out all their needs and requirements...and all the relevant bits about returning to work etc etc

First impressions are very important and dictate whether you want to continue with these parents or not...if yes then another visit would mean 'paperwork talk', contract and terms for payment...and yes ...once you have your registration fee and deposit you can start your settling in as long as you also have a signed contract

Good luck