Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Registered Childminder since
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Default Dear Sir Michael

So... Sir Michael Wilshaw has been childminder bashing again

he says we are not good enough for 2 year olds who really should be in school so they can be taught properly.

It's caused quite a furore and I know a number of childminders are sending him letters and commenting on the Ofsted Big Conversation thread I started earlier on FB - https://www.facebook.com/permalink.p...54719594623176.

A letter is ready to be posted from thousands of our FB group members as well ... I am sure Forum members will want to get behind it too! It really is NOT acceptable to be treated this way by our regulator

2. Likes funemnx, loocyloo, Richard, AgentTink liked this post
    Nov 03
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

Its a great letter! Thanks as always Sarah x

Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

I have just sent this to Nursery World magazine news desk ... I am on a mission now ... we deserve an apology

Sirs,

Childminders are angered and dismayed by Sir Michael’s most recent attack on us in an article in the Evening Standard. To be told by our regulator that we are not good enough to look after 2 year olds because they need to be in school is, quite frankly, insulting.

Childminders work incredibly hard, mostly on our own since DfE took away our networks and local support groups, to maintain our businesses and provide outstanding care to thousands of children every day.

We have a letter (dated 19th August 2014) from the Secretary of State for Education who says that ‘the government greatly values childminders for their ability to provide flexible, high quality, affordable, home-based care that parents want and is committed to supporting and promoting this important profession’… so we question why on earth the head of Ofsted is making comments which are totally at odds with central Government policy.

We hope that Nursery World magazine support us in our campaign to get an unconditional apology from Sir Michael.

Thank you. Sarah Neville

5. Likes Kiddleywinks, loocyloo, mum26, Goatgirl liked this post
    Simona Guest

Following PLA press release on Wilshaw's comments I also asked on Twitter for an apology.
    It appears many are rather upset by this but I would hazard a guess Wilshaw will take no notice

I do agree with him that these children deserve the best but his comments demean the very providers who are trying to do their utmost and with little support.

7. Likes Kiddleywinks, sarah707 liked this post
    Mar 12
    Latest Inspection Grade
    OUTSTANDING
    Post Thanks / Like

Brilliant letter sarah. I was so disappointed with his comments. Only just last week I was showing my friends the 'lovely letter' signed by Sir Michael Wilshaw that came with my outstanding certificate. I was so proud of it and then today I read that comment and felt that actually its meangingless. X
    If all else fails......add glitter!

9. Likes Kiddleywinks liked this post
    Simona Guest

I know that many cms are not on Linked in so I have just added my comments and request on the NWorld page too for Wilshaw to apologise to CMs.

This is not just a question of being disappointed by his tactless approach and remarks
    He is biased and dangerous to all Cms...and to top it all not up to him to decide where children should go at that age...that is the parents' priority

At the end of the article Wilshaw states that OFSTED:

“It’s not the most popular organisation in the world but we’re fantastic in terms of raising standards. We’re a regulator that is known, understood and feared — feared isn’t always a bad thing.”

I would prefer to respect him rather than fear him...he is deluded!
    My view of course and anyone can quote that if they wish!

11. Likes Kiddleywinks, mum26, gwm liked this post
    Simona Guest

Quote Originally Posted by silvermist View Post
    Brilliant letter sarah. I was so disappointed with his comments. Only just last week I was showing my friends the 'lovely letter' signed by Sir Michael Wilshaw that came with my outstanding certificate. I was so proud of it and then today I read that comment and felt that actually its meangingless. X
    Your certificate is not meaningless as it was awarded by the very people who work for Wilshaw...inspectors and Quality Assurance who judged you on merit...not him...all he did was to sign a certificate
    I doubt he has ever visited a CM's setting and would recognise outstanding practice if it stared him in the face

Wilshaw will not break CMs' determination...his remarks two years ago caused the very opposite effect when we were threatened with his deregulation and waffle about this and that

Maybe he is frustrated that his beloved agencies are not taking off as he wished and he still has to inspect us and pay for it

13. Likes mum26, gwm liked this post
    Mar 12
    Latest Inspection Grade
    OUTSTANDING
    Post Thanks / Like

Thanks simona. I know its not meaningless really because I know I earned it. Its just upsetting that he obviously thinks so little of us cms. I shall continue to be the best I can be for my mindees sakes. Xx

15. Likes Kiddleywinks liked this post
    May 13
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

I shall be writing to my MP about this as I am furious at the tone of Sir Michael's remarks. I also agree that he should apologise. He's offended thousands of us! How he thinks childcare standards are going to be raised when he alienates childminders is beyond me.

Dec 11
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good ;-)
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Simona View Post
    Wilshaw will not break CMs' determination...his remarks two years ago caused the very opposite effect

Maybe he is frustrated that his beloved agencies are not taking off as he wished and he still has to inspect us and pay for it
    Independent childminders - we're like weebles..... we may wobble, but we sure as hell won't fall down!!

18. Likes loocyloo liked this post
    Mar 12
    Latest Inspection Grade
    OUTSTANDING
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Kiddleywinks View Post

Independent childminders - we're like weebles..... we may wobble, but we sure as hell won't fall down!!
    Yay I love this!!

may 05
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by sarah707 View Post
    So... Sir Michael Wilshaw has been childminder bashing again

he says we are not good enough for 2 year olds who really should be in school so they can be taught properly.

It's caused quite a furore and I know a number of childminders are sending him letters and commenting on the Ofsted Big Conversation thread I started earlier on FB - https://www.facebook.com/permalink.p...54719594623176.

A letter is ready to be posted from thousands of our FB group members as well ... I am sure Forum members will want to get behind it too! It really is NOT acceptable to be treated this way by our regulator
    Is there a letter template on the FB page or a petition to sign, or is everyone writing their own letters? How about setting up and using one of the change . org petitions, they seem to work?

Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

I have written a letter from Childminders - the IC group - and there are lots of other letters that members have sent.

There are also a lot of comments on the OBC group now as well.

He has upset a heck of a lot of people with his comments

22. Likes hectors house liked this post
    May 13
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

If I start a ***** petition, can I link it here and on the FB page? Or do you want to Hector's House?

Simona Guest

This not going to be popular but...may I suggest a few days of reflection on what Wilshaw is actually saying?
    Let this rest a few days then reflect
    I keep reading the article and find bits I like and bits I don't...he is Gove incarnate with good intentions but flawed ideology

Yes...Wilshaw has crossed the boundaries and he is arrogant... showing disregard for those who he feels are not worthy of his praise...who is I wonder? teachers are in that league...alongside parents and cms...he has taken Gove's place and Morgan is another Gove in skirts

If you want to start a petition please make sure it is properly worded and to the point...I remember the one started for agencies by a cm ...it was so badly worded no one bothered to sign it and the person who started it disappeared altogether...not good for cms!

men do not like being screamed at and so much has already been written on this in a short space of time... we do not want to be seen as giving a 'knee jerk' reaction

I will consult with my association and see what the best way is to avoid this happening again ...the main thing is to get to the bottom of what causes Wilshaw to lash out at regular intervals at cms but not anyone else whose practice is not up to his standards...whatever they are ?

This is my view and of course anyone is free to do as they please...what will a petition achieve ?

Dec 11
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good ;-)
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

I agree with you, up to a point Simona

Knee jerk reactions aren't ideal, however, they do show the strength of feeling towards his, well I would say 'flippant' comment, but I doubt there was anything flippant about it!
    Not sure what a petition would be about, or what it would achieve, and also agree it would have to be grammatically correct and to the point, or it would just reinforce his idea that we're all incompetent, uneducated fools
    However, if the petition you're referring to is the one I think it is, the CM that started has not disappeared - She attended the Truss meeting, along with others, which I know you're aware of

As a side note
    I've recently taken on 2 under 2's.
    Dad was very reluctant about using me (unknown entity, not a family member), mum was scared and unsure about types of childcare available, or which was best for the LO's, has not worked for a number of years, and was suffering heavily from 'back to work guilt'.

Not ideal, but came to me for 2 weeks then I was off for 2 weeks (annual leave).
    Day one of my leave I received a text thanking me for making a difficult decision (returning to work) so much easier, the eldest one was currently sulking because they weren't coming to play, and after just 2 short weeks, Mum didn't know what she'd do without me.

First week back, Dad seems so much more chilled about leaving LO's here, and I'm a star!

So in my email to 'MR' Wilshaw (once I've calmed down enough to stop using expletives) I shall be pointing out that he really does not understand the relationship and bond between child-minder and child, or that between child-minder and parents.
    Until he does, he will never truly understand the importance of a child-minder - it goes way beyond paperwork, inspections and box ticking (the fool!)

Simona Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Kiddleywinks View Post
    I agree with you, up to a point Simona

Knee jerk reactions aren't ideal, however, they do show the strength of feeling towards his, well I would say 'flippant' comment, but I doubt there was anything flippant about it!
    Not sure what a petition would be about, or what it would achieve, and also agree it would have to be grammatically correct and to the point, or it would just reinforce his idea that we're all incompetent, uneducated fools
    However, if the petition you're referring to is the one I think it is, the CM that started has not disappeared - She attended the Truss meeting, along with others, which I know you're aware of

As a side note
    I've recently taken on 2 under 2's.
    Dad was very reluctant about using me (unknown entity, not a family member), mum was scared and unsure about types of childcare available, or which was best for the LO's, has not worked for a number of years, and was suffering heavily from 'back to work guilt'.

Not ideal, but came to me for 2 weeks then I was off for 2 weeks (annual leave).
    Day one of my leave I received a text thanking me for making a difficult decision (returning to work) so much easier, the eldest one was currently sulking because they weren't coming to play, and after just 2 short weeks, Mum didn't know what she'd do without me.

First week back, Dad seems so much more chilled about leaving LO's here, and I'm a star!

So in my email to 'MR' Wilshaw (once I've calmed down enough to stop using expletives) I shall be pointing out that he really does not understand the relationship and bond between child-minder and child, or that between child-minder and parents.
    Until he does, he will never truly understand the importance of a child-minder - it goes way beyond paperwork, inspections and box ticking (the fool!)
    No Kiddleywinks that is not the CM I am talking about...that cm is on LinkedIn and we do communicate on that level and others too

Those on LinkedIn or who read her blogs will know that

I was talking about another CM and her 1st attempt at having a go at the agency...can't remember her name...sorry

I am no blogger and will not write reams on this but I have already read enough that worries me...and also not enough has been said from certain quarters
    please everyone note what he has said...this needs more than just a petition or a few letters

Just imagine for one minute if Wilshaw had said
    '2 year olds need to be in school and not with a local CM ...or nursery....or preschool'
    now that would have been totally different because he would have aimed at the WHOLE sector

I don't think he said CMs are 'not good'...or that some CMs are not high quality or qualified even at the level of the teachers in schools...or because our grades are too low...or that we do not achieve Outcomes for children
    What he said shows his arrogance against his knowledge...his own department and the DfE

I also think he knows CMs are part of the sector and he cannot easily swipe us out of his space which we are obviously taking up and annoying him.
    He knows we are not incompetent or uneducated but...we stand in his way...have fought him and now his ideology of little 'poor' children in school has a barrier: CMs

Even if...it was found that school is good for 2 year olds...there aren't enough spaces for them all when schools are already bursting at the seams...that may happen in future not now
    So Wilshaw is biting the hand that feeds him...he needs cms at the moment to ..at least have some of these 260,000 children somewhere until such time schools are ready for them all

2 year olds in school means that at 12 pm CMs would go and collect and offer wraparound care...if needed... and possibly provided by an agency.
    CMs would then just offer the 'care' not the 'education' ...which is exactly what he said in July 2012 in his article in NWorld...CMs are good at caring not educating and he wanted CMs out of the EYFS because we are too expensive to register and inspect...does anyone remember that?

His recent statement...in my view...is discriminatory
    had he said nursery and preschool the reaction would have been different
    Some of the comment made by people and...politicians in response to Wilshaw are a bit patronising too, such as 'CMs offer a good alternative in a home based environment

That is not the only thing we do and that is why Wilshaw is discriminating ...
    one thing is to get slapped on the hand and told to back up and improve...which nurseries and preschools need to do as well as they are not all outstanding...another is being specifically chosen and referred to in this way

Amazingly there has been no response from nurseries and preschools on this...rather different from the CMs reaction when they needed help for their ratio campaign

That is all I was thinking when I said be careful...I am more than sure that Wilshaw is expecting a backlash from angry CMs...exactly what he wanted... a gaggle of women up in arms screaming at him!! sorry no offence to anyone

Let's do this differently and make sure this becomes a topic of discussion at Ofsted Big Conversation
    I have a meeting in October and I will put in on my agenda

Hope I have not ranted too much! but of course I understand CMs have a right to act anyway they want

I am due to speak to my association this morning
    Last edited by Simona; 05-09-2014 at 07:53 AM.

27. Likes Kiddleywinks, mum67 liked this post
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

My letter to Sir Michael Wilshaw ... reasoned and quite restrained I think in the circumstances ... asking for an apology -

https://www.childcare.co.uk/informat...ichael-wilshaw

Thank you to Childcare.co.uk for hosting it for me

29. Likes hectors house, bunyip, lizann, mum67 liked this post
    Nov 11
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

Item going into my next newsletter to parents:-

It’s Official: You’re All Bad Parents !!!!!
    I hasten to add that’s not our opinion: we think you’re all fantastic.
    But, sadly it “must” be true, as it is the opinion of Sir Michael Wilshaw, the Head of Ofsted and chief inspector of schools.
    He wants to get your son or daughter institutionalised and into school as soon as is humanly possible after birth. To make matters worse, you have apparently damaged your child’s prospects of a fulfilling and successful life by placing them with a childminder. He states, “If we are going to do something radical to promote social mobility, it’s too late by the time these youngsters are 11 or 16. With poor families now getting 15 hours free provision of childcare, the Government should try to ensure they go to a school-based nursery, not the local childminder.”
    It might be worth, at this point, wondering quite how objective Ofsted inspections will be under Wilshaw. His organisation is trusted with regulating and inspecting childminders, but he clearly holds us in exceptionally low esteem.
    It might also be worth asking Sir Michael whether his wonderful school-based nurseries will be open when parents who work all sorts of hours require care. I for one would like to know if they would take a frantic ‘phone call from a desperate mum late on New Year’s Eve and agree to provide care starting less than twelve hours later.
    Not only does this man believe that the sole purpose of early childhood is to become ‘school-ready’ he also thinks that is the only job that parents and child carers need concern themselves with. This is not just about Wilshaw’s priorities for inspecting childcare settings: i.e. that we should be primarily educating children, rather than protecting and caring for them first and foremost, whilst giving them lots of experiences and a secure emotional foundation. Wilshaw believes parents should be admonished and punished if they “fail” their children by not training them to hold a pen correctly, sit quietly for ‘circle time’ and generally comply with classroom regimentation. Mum and Dad must then keep up the constant pressure on their children to complete the hours of homework that we somehow managed to survive and learn without doing in our day.
    It goes to the heart of the parent-child relationship and the very definitions of “family life” and “childhood” as we know it.
    Mind you, it is hardly unexpected. Sir Michael, a lifelong Conservative, is a political appointment and one who is keen to ingratiate himself in the Tory hierarchy. He is firmly behind the Westminster regime’s apparently laudable aim to “raise educational standards”. Sadly, that has nothing to do with improving your child’s job prospects, life chances or happiness and fulfilment. It is entirely focussed on pushing the UK up the statistical league tables of examinations achievement to a point where it can compete with the likes of Korea: a country where children study for up to 16 hours a day; where young professionals ‘burn out’ rapidly in high-stress jobs; and with one of the world’s largest instances of teenage-young adult suicides as a result.
    So when Mr. Wilshaw and his ilk try to tell you you’re a bad mummy, just remember your child is far more important than his career. He’s made his opinion of you as a parent perfectly clear. If you’d like to give him your opinion, the Ofsted address is, as ever, on display at my setting.
    See:
    Ofsted chief Sir Michael Wilshaw: Headteachers should not be afraid to say
    https://www.pre-school.org.uk/media/...-two-year-olds

31. Likes mum26, sarah707, mum67 liked this post