Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0

Thread: Risk Assessment

Registered Childminder since
    pre-reg
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Risk Assessment

Hello

I'm waiting for my pre-registration which is happening next Wednesday but in the meantime I'm working through a risk assessment.

Can anyone tell me how I complete this form. Do I list everything that is currently in my home and assess it even if as particular room is not being used. Also do I put in things like outside play eg the dangers of say playing near water or being in a garden etc.

I don't want to list every danger if its not relevant.

Thanks in advance

Sept 14
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

I was just planning to use the on from my CYPOP course. Is there a different one I should be completing?

Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

there isn't a set way how to write a risk assessment ... you need to find a format that works for you

Nov 10
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

If a particular room is not used then you can just say so and say how you will keep children out of there (like door closed or stair gate etc).

Nov 10
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

and yes you RA all the areas- indoors, outdoors, school-run, parks/playgrounds, days out, using car, any particular softplay or toddler group you will regularly got to etc.

You can generalise like 'trip to the woods' or 'supermarket visit' etc as it would be mindblowing to try to write a RA for every single location you go to! You will be RAing in your head all the time anyway, we do not have to write it all down.

Simona Guest

Quote Originally Posted by sheilarobb View Post
    Hello

I'm waiting for my pre-registration which is happening next Wednesday but in the meantime I'm working through a risk assessment.

Can anyone tell me how I complete this form. Do I list everything that is currently in my home and assess it even if as particular room is not being used. Also do I put in things like outside play eg the dangers of say playing near water or being in a garden etc.

I don't want to list every danger if its not relevant.

Thanks in advance
    Make sure you have both EYFS 12 and EYFS 14 as you are being visited before one is due to expire shortly and the other kicks in...not much difference on RA but just in case

You could divide your RA in sections...indoor to include the room you use for cminding, outdoor for outings etc etc and general so you can refer to it quickly when you need to

Good luck

FEB09
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Risk Assessments

Thank you for the help on this topic, I am in the process of updating my risk assessments, I have found some old ones dated 2009, most of the information on here is still current and correct, can I just put todays date on them all saying I have recently reviewed them all, rather than re-write them all.
    Sandy
    xx

Simona Guest

Quote Originally Posted by SandCastles View Post
    Thank you for the help on this topic, I am in the process of updating my risk assessments, I have found some old ones dated 2009, most of the information on here is still current and correct, can I just put todays date on them all saying I have recently reviewed them all, rather than re-write them all.
    you do not need to re write your RA every time.....if nothing has changed or no added risks noticed then just review and date your document as long as you take account of the ages of your children

RA should be a 'working and live' document...not sure how other cms do theirs...mine has been the same document for years, for the same areas which I review and add potential risks if any come up and how I have minimised them

pre-reg
    Post Thanks / Like

Why not have a look on the internet to see if any risk assessments may apply to your setting it could cut down on a lot of work . Also you don't have to have a daily written risk assessment just ensure before you start each day you have checked everything on the list is safe.