Aug 94
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

I have In my 8 page Policy Document:

1. Working with Parents.

2. Daily Routine.

3. Equal Opportunities.

4. Child Protection and Safeguarding which includes the use of Phones and Cameras

5. Behaviour and Discipline

6. Health and Safety which has the sub titles: This is my longest Policy

Health and Hygiene
    Food Handling
    First Aid and Medical treatment
    Hazzards Sockets, Stairs, hot drinks, hot radiators, kitchen knives etc.
    Security
    Supervision
    Smoking
    Fire
    Outings
    Missing Child
    Risk Assessments for Car and Outings and House and Garden not the RA itself but just why I do them only 2 lines.

7. Food and Drink

8. Illness

9. Collection of Children

10. Emergencies my plan and I have a photo of each of my Emergency carers and their address and phone Contacts.

11. Training and Professional Development (I have provision to take up to 4 Paid Training days a year)

12. Fees and Payments

13. Complaints and Compliments

I then have a separate sheet with my Complaints Procedure on.

3. Likes mum67 liked this post
    Registered Childminder since
    June86
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

What a good idea to have photos of your emergency back up.

5. Likes rickysmiths, mum67 liked this post
    Simona Guest

Vey interesting and again it shows we all do things differently and interpret the requirements differently

Just one question comes to mind from reading that list of policies....some are to do with Risk Assessment so why make policies out of them and therefore duplicate what you already have?

others can be incorporated in one document rather than so many policies...bear in mind the EYFS is meant to reduce unnecessary paperwork not add to it
    For instance...Ofsted have no interest in our financial arrangement with parents when it comes to fees and how parents pay ...late or otherwise?
    Inspectors do not ask questions on that side of our business ...so why create a policy? I would have thought any arrangements between us and the parents have to be in the contract which is enforceable while a policy is not? I would have thought that our Terms and Conditions of trading are the ones we need to tweak and make very clear to parents?
    There is a difference between the regulatory side of childminding and the running of our business...I think?

Just my view of course ..
    I found the EYFS 2014 has helped to reduce on unrequested policies and keep them all short and sweet...is that your experience too?
    Last edited by Simona; 27-08-2014 at 08:03 AM.

Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

We cannot advise our members to reduce their policies and procedures while the Ofsted factsheet still states that the following need to be in writing -

http://www.childmindinghelp.co.uk/fo...08-2014-a.html

Taken from this document -

Ofsted | Factsheet: childcare - Records, policies and notification requirements of the Early Years Register

I would love to say to members - don't bother about a RA policy it's not in the Eyfs 2014 - but I cannot do that because if they are asked for one at inspection they'd be stuffed

And as for a fees policy - there is a sample one here - free to download just log in free to get it - Childminder Guides - Exclusive Information Guides for Registered Childminder Members - Childcare.co.uk.

Hth

Simona Guest

Quote Originally Posted by sarah707 View Post
    We cannot advise our members to reduce their policies and procedures while the Ofsted factsheet still states that the following need to be in writing -

http://www.childmindinghelp.co.uk/fo...08-2014-a.html

Taken from this document -

Ofsted | Factsheet: childcare - Records, policies and notification requirements of the Early Years Register

I would love to say to members - don't bother about a RA policy it's not in the Eyfs 2014 - but I cannot do that because if they are asked for one at inspection they'd be stuffed

And as for a fees policy - there is a sample one here - free to download just log in free to get it - Childminder Guides - Exclusive Information Guides for Registered Childminder Members - Childcare.co.uk.

Hth
    Yes I do appreciate that ...I have all the policies covered in the factsheets but some have been combined and have reduced the paperwork...I have just updated all my documentation and my paper bin is overflowing with recycled paper!!! Joy!!!

We are all different and have to decide for ourselves as independent cms...personally I do not classify RA as policy
    If asked at inspection I would show it as a working document to minimise risks, promote well being and keep children safe...my view of course

I have never been asked to show an inspector a fee policy...that is part on my contract with the parents...but again we are unique in how we approach and interpret EYFS and how we divide regulation from trading our services

apr 02
    Latest Inspection Grade
    'good'
    Post Thanks / Like

With regard to a fee's policy .. our LA say's we have to have one if we supply any funded hours, it may be different in other area's but it's in the remit here. The trouble is we have to keep Ofsted happy and our LA so need to cover lots of bases. I know the OP doesn't offer funded places as yet but it's good practise to have one in place from the start :-)

Dec 02
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by karensmart4 View Post
    With regard to a fee's policy .. our LA say's we have to have one if we supply any funded hours, it may be different in other area's but it's in the remit here. The trouble is we have to keep Ofsted happy and our LA so need to cover lots of bases. I know the OP doesn't offer funded places as yet but it's good practise to have one in place from the start :-)
    I also had to submit details of my published fees for my funding. I printed the fee page from my website, and a copy of my Childcare.co.uk profile. They were fine with it

Simona Guest

The Local terms of funding requires us to produce accurate invoices where the free hours are truly shown as 'free' and nothing added...that will be our evidence when the LA audit providers who draw funding
    If parents are only accessing 15 free hours where does a fee policy come in for them if they are not accessing any other hours...not sure?
    The only condition is that if funded children do not attend we may have to refund the fees...
    That is nothing to do with a fee policy...my view again...but LAs are keen to add paperwork to our load...they always have like networks did

It is good practice if we want a fee policy but not required under EYFS and never has been...we could add that in our contract Terms and Conditions which are far more binding than a policy...we cannot chase non payment via a policy but we can via a contract

LAs also do not have to know what we charge...another conditions imposed by them...that is totally between us and the parents

All I am trying to say is that some policies are required but there is a difference between policies...RA...documentation and requirements that comply with the EY register and EYFS separate from running a business which Ofsted has no interest in looking into
    All I suggested is avoiding duplication
    Personally I do not have half the policies cms have but have covered every single requirement in other ways

If cms go through the latest updates they will probably find they are producing far too many policies when we should concentrate on the 'added documentation' that is now required for compliance and evidence of CPD which is repeated consistently and a few more bits here and there

Again this is my very own personal view and every cm has to do what is best for their practice and able to explain at inspection how they comply