Contacting the new Education Secretary...
Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  25
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Registered Childminder since
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Default Contacting the new Education Secretary...

We have been thinking about the changes in the Govt on our Independent childminders Facebook group...

So... the Govt reshuffle has taken place and Gove and Truss have been moved on. While for many in early years this has been seen as a cause for celebration, I would like to inject a note of caution for those childminders who want to stay independent of agencies.

Last time I spoke to Ofsted about childminder agencies they said that our assurance we don't have to join them comes from Truss - and none of us know what might happen if she was no longer there! Well that time has come - she is no longer there - and I think we need to be proactive and make sure her replacement knows our feelings on agencies.

The decision was made to write to Ms Morgan and ask for her support...

Dear Ms Morgan
    Congratulations on your new post as Education Secretary.
    I am writing on behalf of childminders throughout the country who are hoping that, with your new appointment, the Department for Education will start listening to us.
    We have, as Ofsted figures show, lost a lot of dedicated, well trained and hardworking colleagues over the last few years. While Ms Truss has been pushing on with her agency plan, completely ignoring all opposition from thousands of childminders across the country, what she has failed to realise is that one of the biggest reasons for childminders leaving the profession is her agency plan and the rhetoric surrounding its introduction.
    Ofsted tell us we are too expensive to inspect and not good enough … DfE keep changing the rules with which we have to comply … we are told we are too expensive when many of us work for very little money … Ofsted inspectors place more and more barriers in our way … we are downgraded at inspection by Ofsted for sometimes quite ridiculous reasons … there is a huge amount of uncertainty and confusion. Is it any surprise that childminders are leaving in their droves?
    Over the past few years we have sent petitions, lobbied MPs and members of the Lords, had local and national meetings and informed you via our representatives in Pacey, PLA and UKCMA that we do not want to be railroaded into joining agencies. Yet DfE seem intent on removing our Local Authority support and introducing childminder agencies and hard selling them as the only option for childminders in the future.
    We have a letter from Ms Truss clearly stating that agencies will always be optional for established childminders – we would like your reassurance that her promise is still true now she is no longer in office. We would also like to be assured that childminders who choose to stay independent of agencies will receive access to local support, training and promotion equal to those childminders who join agencies.
    Thank you.

If you have any suggestions, please let me know

2. Likes ginag, Tulip, mum67, SYLVIA, lilac_dragon liked this post
    Mar 90
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

Clear and consise

July 14
    Post Thanks / Like

Sounds great!!

Post Thanks / Like

Well said Sarah x thank you

Oct 12
    Latest Inspection Grade
    over it ;-)
    Post Thanks / Like

Brilliant as always. Thanks Sarah x

Nov 13
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Good idea - well spotted that our agreement was with Truss!

May 13
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Thanks, Sarah. I agree, that being pro-active is the way forward. How are we planning to sign and send this letter?

oct 02
    Latest Inspection Grade
    outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Well done. Good idea ... How do we send it? Just one letter sent from us all? All sending an individual copy of the sane letter? Sending it to the press?

Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

I can either leave it from me ... or I can change it to 'we' and sign it from members of the Childminding Forum and Independent Childminders FB group ... it depends what members want me to do.

Some FB members are suggesting small changes to the wording - when it's finished we can all use it as a template if we want ... or I can send it on our behalf.

It's up to you

Oct 12
    Latest Inspection Grade
    over it ;-)
    Post Thanks / Like

Would it have a good effect if we all sent it from we? Might be harder to ignore? X

Simona Guest

Quote Originally Posted by sarah707 View Post
    We have been thinking about the changes in the Govt on our Independent childminders Facebook group...

So... the Govt reshuffle has taken place and Gove and Truss have been moved on. While for many in early years this has been seen as a cause for celebration, I would like to inject a note of caution for those childminders who want to stay independent of agencies.

Last time I spoke to Ofsted about childminder agencies they said that our assurance we don't have to join them comes from Truss - and none of us know what might happen if she was no longer there! Well that time has come - she is no longer there - and I think we need to be proactive and make sure her replacement knows our feelings on agencies.

The decision was made to write to Ms Morgan and ask for her support...

Dear Ms Morgan
    Congratulations on your new post as Education Secretary.
    I am writing on behalf of childminders throughout the country who are hoping that, with your new appointment, the Department for Education will start listening to us.
    We have, as Ofsted figures show, lost a lot of dedicated, well trained and hardworking colleagues over the last few years. While Ms Truss has been pushing on with her agency plan, completely ignoring all opposition from thousands of childminders across the country, what she has failed to realise is that one of the biggest reasons for childminders leaving the profession is her agency plan and the rhetoric surrounding its introduction.
    Ofsted tell us we are too expensive to inspect and not good enough … DfE keep changing the rules with which we have to comply … we are told we are too expensive when many of us work for very little money … Ofsted inspectors place more and more barriers in our way … we are downgraded at inspection by Ofsted for sometimes quite ridiculous reasons … there is a huge amount of uncertainty and confusion. Is it any surprise that childminders are leaving in their droves?
    Over the past few years we have sent petitions, lobbied MPs and members of the Lords, had local and national meetings and informed you via our representatives in Pacey, PLA and UKCMA that we do not want to be railroaded into joining agencies. Yet DfE seem intent on removing our Local Authority support and introducing childminder agencies and hard selling them as the only option for childminders in the future.
    We have a letter from Ms Truss clearly stating that agencies will always be optional for established childminders – we would like your reassurance that her promise is still true now she is no longer in office. We would also like to be assured that childminders who choose to stay independent of agencies will receive access to local support, training and promotion equal to those childminders who join agencies.
    Thank you.

If you have any suggestions, please let me know
    I have several...if I may...sorry if I differ in opiniuon

One suggestion is that we mention all the 4 associations representing CMs not just PLA, Pacey and UKCMA ....
    the fourth one being a Social Enterprise and Trade Association and extremely pro active on behalf of CMs....but we are unable to mention here as we are unable to post links relating to Pacey...UKCMA hardly speaks and PLA gets reported a lot...quite a variations I think.
    can anyone tell me what UKCMA does apart from having links to this forum and Morton Michel...again linked to the forum? do Cms know what MM are organising with the DfE? do people know they met Truss with the 4 associations recently...was it reported why?

Fair is fair...the forum cannot speak on behalf of all CMs as many have different opinions and views

Second...I do not think it is wise to scare CMs in believing agencies can be made compulsory...
    something tells me it cannot be so but we have to wait and see....let's research this before we put fear in more CMs.

Third...while some CMs grieve over the loss of support from their LA ...some do not as they never had any support for many many years and were left to fend for themselves while the LA concentrated on the few Network CMs

152 LAs are very different and several are turning into an agency...or considering it
    We have begged for them to continue supporting us but some are only really looking after their interests...lets not forget that LAs are the ones controlling the funding and refusing to increase it
    From the many posts here some LAs are still supporting CMs and still imposing strict conditions...so if they are still operating why ask for that to continue?

So some of us are looking for support elsewhere and seeking training from other sources...all is to be paid for anyway but at least it will be challenging

Four...Ofsted inspections have been altered thanks to the Ofsted Big Conversation and lots more is to come...yes CMs have had problems but so have preschools and nurseries but few CMs have joined OBC and input in that effort

Five....Nicky Morgan, DfE, Cameron have all received pleas to nominate an Minister for EY or childcare...so far all the tweets from several people on Twitter have been ignored and PLA request to DfE to comment has been turned down
    Concerns have been raised about this

I think we are missing the point of what is to come with 'school leading 'EY' and that may be the reason we have no minister for EY ...we will see.

Sorry to disagree but there are CMs who see things differently and must be respected for their different opinion

13. Likes ginag liked this post
    pre-reg
    Post Thanks / Like

I think it's fab

How about a signature in form of a petition in support of the letter? So signed by thousands of us? Also to add a little punch give some examples on things. E.g ofsted downgrading for ridiculous reasons for example........ Working for a small amount at little as £3 an hour in some circumstances

Just my initial thoughts but sounds absolutely FAB!

15. Likes FloraDora liked this post
    Simona Guest

Funding is being tackled by several organisations as well as the Lords at the moment who are conducting an enquiry
    Funding is the issue for the whole sector not just CMs....and LAs are the ones who calculate it and pass it on

Ofsted discrepancy in inspections is being tackled too...as is Ofsted Code of Practice...oh yes there is a Code.

Inspectors training has come to be discussed as well as reported from OBC
    Preschools and nurseries are able to attend the 'Getting good seminars' run by Ofsted...CMs are excluded...that is being questioned too but hardly discussed here

Agencies are now the law but until Sept 1 when they become public we know nothing apart from the fact the majority of CMs won't join
    Agencies were made legal because of Truss' ideology but she was fully backed by Ofsted and DfE and their agent: 4 Children

The cost of childcare is still an issue and opening childcare to the market has caused more rise in fees than anything else...see Family and Daycare Trust relentless campaign and latest report

The registration fee for cms is still an issue...frozen for a year then what?
    Our costs are rising especially as we now have to buy our own training and pay for additionals which increase our costs and lower our profits

There are several other matters to mention but we could go on and on

If a letter is written it cannot be on behalf of ALL cms...those in agreement can sign the letter or sign a petition

17. Likes FloraDora liked this post
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

Is there evidence that cms are leaving the profession because of agencies?

I certainly don't know any that have. The cms I know who have left (other than those who have retired) have done it because of lack of work, the need to earn a guaranteed regular income, the fear of Ofsted inspections and the often ridiculous outcomes, the paperwork, the amount of extra hours they need to put in outside their childminding hours just to keep up with paperwork, the changing nature of the job, including implementing the EYFS. I don't know of a single one who has left because of the threat of agencies and to be honest, most of the cms in this area don't even know much about agencies - some have still never heard of them!

Unless there is evidence to back it up, I don't think you can say that is the biggest cause of cms leaving the profession is the introduction of agencies.

19. Likes FloraDora, Maza liked this post
    may 05
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mouse View Post
    Is there evidence that cms are leaving the profession because of agencies?

I certainly don't know any that have. The cms I know who have left (other than those who have retired) have done it because of lack of work, the need to earn a guaranteed regular income, the fear of Ofsted inspections and the often ridiculous outcomes, the paperwork, the amount of extra hours they need to put in outside their childminding hours just to keep up with paperwork, the changing nature of the job, including implementing the EYFS. I don't know of a single one who has left because of the threat of agencies and to be honest, most of the cms in this area don't even know much about agencies - some have still never heard of them!

Unless there is evidence to back it up, I don't think you can say that is the biggest cause of cms leaving the profession is the introduction of agencies.
    I agree with all that Mouse has said as the main reasons why childminders are giving up but I am sure that all the talk of Agencies has made some childminders question how long they will remain in their chosen profession.

21. Likes FloraDora, loocyloo liked this post
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Simona View Post
    I have several...if I may...sorry if I differ in opiniuon

One suggestion is that we mention all the 4 associations representing CMs not just PLA, Pacey and UKCMA ....
    the fourth one being a Social Enterprise and Trade Association and extremely pro active on behalf of CMs....but we are unable to mention here as we are unable to post links relating to Pacey...UKCMA hardly speaks and PLA gets reported a lot...quite a variations I think.
    can anyone tell me what UKCMA does apart from having links to this forum and Morton Michel...again linked to the forum? do Cms know what MM are organising with the DfE? do people know they met Truss with the 4 associations recently...was it reported why?

Fair is fair...the forum cannot speak on behalf of all CMs as many have different opinions and views

Second...I do not think it is wise to scare CMs in believing agencies can be made compulsory...
    something tells me it cannot be so but we have to wait and see....let's research this before we put fear in more CMs.

Third...while some CMs grieve over the loss of support from their LA ...some do not as they never had any support for many many years and were left to fend for themselves while the LA concentrated on the few Network CMs

152 LAs are very different and several are turning into an agency...or considering it
    We have begged for them to continue supporting us but some are only really looking after their interests...lets not forget that LAs are the ones controlling the funding and refusing to increase it
    From the many posts here some LAs are still supporting CMs and still imposing strict conditions...so if they are still operating why ask for that to continue?

So some of us are looking for support elsewhere and seeking training from other sources...all is to be paid for anyway but at least it will be challenging

Four...Ofsted inspections have been altered thanks to the Ofsted Big Conversation and lots more is to come...yes CMs have had problems but so have preschools and nurseries but few CMs have joined OBC and input in that effort

Five....Nicky Morgan, DfE, Cameron have all received pleas to nominate an Minister for EY or childcare...so far all the tweets from several people on Twitter have been ignored and PLA request to DfE to comment has been turned down
    Concerns have been raised about this

I think we are missing the point of what is to come with 'school leading 'EY' and that may be the reason we have no minister for EY ...we will see.

Sorry to disagree but there are CMs who see things differently and must be respected for their different opinion
    Thank you for your input. I am away this weekend so I'm not able to give long replies - my internet keeps kicking me offline. However, here are some initial thoughts -

I have said 'I am writing on behalf of childminders' - not that I am writing on behalf of all childminders.

I don't know what any of the organisations which support childminders are doing - they haven't told me - or anyone else from what I can gather.

I am writing on behalf of those childminders who have asked me to do it. I am sure other organisations / individuals can write their own letters.

I have never been accused of scaring childminders before. I don't think I like it. I am acting on advice given to me by someone in Ofsted who has been involved in the setting up of agencies. I feel that if anyone knows what is planned for our future he does.

As many members know - I am very involved in OBC - and spend hours of my time supporting childminders who want to stay independent - this is just one way I do it and it has been welcomed by many childminders.

However, if others believe I need to stop campaigning on behalf of cms who want to stay independent because I am scaring them then I will of course butt out.

thank you.

23. Likes FloraDora, loocyloo liked this post
    Nov 13
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

I would be happy for you to sign it on behalf of me Sarah, or I am happy to send one myself....I'm always a bit dubious about the impact of a huge amount of exactly the same letter, far better to have one representing a group, they know that there is a group working together then....or send individuals, but be individual i.e write from your own view ( similar areas).
    Enjoy your break.

Simona Guest

Quote Originally Posted by sarah707 View Post
    Thank you for your input. I am away this weekend so I'm not able to give long replies - my internet keeps kicking me offline. However, here are some initial thoughts -

I have said 'I am writing on behalf of childminders' - not that I am writing on behalf of all childminders.

I don't know what any of the organisations which support childminders are doing - they haven't told me - or anyone else from what I can gather.

I am writing on behalf of those childminders who have asked me to do it. I am sure other organisations / individuals can write their own letters.

I have never been accused of scaring childminders before. I don't think I like it. I am acting on advice given to me by someone in Ofsted who has been involved in the setting up of agencies. I feel that if anyone knows what is planned for our future he does.

As many members know - I am very involved in OBC - and spend hours of my time supporting childminders who want to stay independent - this is just one way I do it and it has been welcomed by many childminders.

However, if others believe I need to stop campaigning on behalf of cms who want to stay independent because I am scaring them then I will of course butt out.

thank you.
    I don't think I said anyone needs to stop campaigning...we are all continuing with our efforts to keep cms off agencies, questioning and responding to those who are saying they want to set us an agency

If Ofsted believe that agencies will not remain optional to join then I am sure Ofsted will inform all cms...again my understanding is that comes from the DfE

All I asked is for the letter not be signed on behalf of all forum members...those who agree can sign it if they wish

oct 02
    Latest Inspection Grade
    outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

I too would be happy for you to sign on behalf of me as well Sarah.

Thank you. you always manage to put into words what I want to say, but can't find the words to do so!

xxx

27. Likes SYLVIA liked this post
    Aug 12
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good - YAY!
    Post Thanks / Like

I'd be happy for you to write on my behalf too, but I'll also send of my n own letter, I think that writing with the breaking of the forum / Facebook page makes sense, we're a huge body, but but I also agree with a previous poster who said lots of different letters al with the same basic message will be noted too!

Thanks as ever Sarah, from little old me!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast