Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  2
Dislikes Dislikes:  0

Thread: Evening Meal

Registered Childminder since
    9/5/13
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Evening Meal

Hi everyone, I provide a freshly cooked evening meal for my mindies but at the moment I am struggling to do them. I need to start preparing meals as soon as I get back from the school run to have dinner ready by 5, but between parents picking up children from 4.30 and 2 of the many children I care for being VERY demanding, I'm facing more delays and struggling to get meals ready for as late as 5.30. Does anyone have any suggestions apart from me stopping doing them? Many thanks

Jul 06
    Latest Inspection Grade
    good
    Post Thanks / Like

Prepare everything on an afternoon while mindees are having a nap or quite time, then all you have to do after school is heat up and serve. This is what one of my cm friends does.

I no longer do evening meals for the reasons you stated. Hope you find a solution that works for you
    Love Amanda

3. Likes Chatterbox Childcare liked this post
    sept 07
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by pinklady80 View Post
    Hi everyone, I provide a freshly cooked evening meal for my mindies but at the moment I am struggling to do them. I need to start preparing meals as soon as I get back from the school run to have dinner ready by 5, but between parents picking up children from 4.30 and 2 of the many children I care for being VERY demanding, I'm facing more delays and struggling to get meals ready for as late as 5.30. Does anyone have any suggestions apart from me stopping doing them? Many thanks
    I'm no use to you but this is why I offer a cooked meal at lunch like soup and potatoes cottage pie spag bol. Snack is around 4pm there is no cooking involved and handy to throw together. Anyway I'm also a believer that children should get dinner at home with parents in the evening. Would you not try the meal at lunch then a snack at 4.30? I have been doing it this way for 7 years. Do you charge for meals or is all included in your fee. That time if an evening here is wind down time. We tidy all away and the last hour is TV or just pottering around talking to each other and my own children in at 4 so little ones like time with them.
    It's all trial and error. Explain to parents it's not possible anymore to provide evening meal but cooked lunch offered at 1 or 2 instead.
    Tess1981

Post Thanks / Like

Other alternative is something in the oven which can be put together earlier like shepherds pie or lasange (could even bulk cook it at weekend) or use a slow cooker to do it all for you, easy to prep in the morning and then take it out and serve when ready

6. Likes Chatterbox Childcare liked this post
    May 13
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by murphf View Post
    Other alternative is something in the oven which can be put together earlier like shepherds pie or lasange (could even bulk cook it at weekend) or use a slow cooker to do it all for you, easy to prep in the morning and then take it out and serve when ready
    This is what I do. Other options: pasta bake, baked potatoes, chilli, soup, chicken pie. I love my slow cooker!

oct 02
    Latest Inspection Grade
    outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

I prep meals either in morning ( or even night before ) and put them in slow cooker or I cook after lunch whilst everyone has a nap or quiet time.
    I try to ensure that I need do nothing when I get home apart from maybe cooking a few veg.
    We usually have tea at 4.30.

I've always cooked this way, ever since I was a nanny 25+ years ago! Mind you ... when I'm not working I am not nearly so organised!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by loocyloo View Post
    I prep meals either in morning ( or even night before ) and put them in slow cooker or I cook after lunch whilst everyone has a nap or quiet time. I try to ensure that I need do nothing when I get home apart from maybe cooking a few veg. We usually have tea at 4.30. I've always cooked this way, ever since I was a nanny 25+ years ago! Mind you ... when I'm not working I am not nearly so organised!
    I do this too although I'm finding that as my children get older I don't want to have dinner so early and my kids never get to eat with daddy. At the same time I like to get dinner over with as I exercise in the evenings. We just need more hours in the day lol

sep 08
    Post Thanks / Like

I gave up providing cooked meals couple of years ago. Now all mindees bring lunch box or meal from home to be re-heated. I wasnt happy being in kitchen trying to cook/serve meal with toddlers about. I explain this to parents when they visit, never been a problem.

Much more relaxed now as if food isnt eaten I have wasted time or money on it

9/5/13
    Post Thanks / Like

Thank you for your replies everyone they are all very helpful.