Dislikes Dislikes:  0

Thread: Time Management

Registered Childminder since
    Aug 12
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Time Management

As the title says my question is ‘How do you manage your time in regards to the paperwork side of Childminding?’

I have been minding a year now and am fully aware that if you fall behind with paperwork which can easily happen e.g. get sick, as there are so many demands in running a childminding business, it can be a nightmare to say the least to catch up and you end up in a cycle of fire fighting!

However, I now feel that all I do is work and sleep! I now want to put in place a routine for the paperwork side to make it more manageable – especially as the new EYFS is coming in September and I want to ensure it does not eat me up with the necessary changes!

So if anyone can please share with me how you manage your time and paperwork I would really be pleased if you could let me know. For example, do you have a routine, or set periods of time during the day or evening or at weekends. How much time do you spend doing paperwork every day/week/month?

I know Sarah has recently posted a great blog on here , which was great for me, as it has been something I have been aiming to get better at.

Many thanks in advance.

Nov 13
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Wiggle Wiggle View Post
    As the title says my question is ‘How do you manage your time in regards to the paperwork side of Childminding?’

I have been minding a year now and am fully aware that if you fall behind with paperwork which can easily happen e.g. get sick, as there are so many demands in running a childminding business, it can be a nightmare to say the least to catch up and you end up in a cycle of fire fighting!

However, I now feel that all I do is work and sleep! I now want to put in place a routine for the paperwork side to make it more manageable – especially as the new EYFS is coming in September and I want to ensure it does not eat me up with the necessary changes!

So if anyone can please share with me how you manage your time and paperwork I would really be pleased if you could let me know. For example, do you have a routine, or set periods of time during the day or evening or at weekends. How much time do you spend doing paperwork every day/week/month?

I know Sarah has recently posted a great blog on here , which was great for me, as it has been something I have been aiming to get better at.

Many thanks in advance.
    Throughout my working life I took part in several time management training events and the key message was always be realistic.
    Everyone has different personal circumstances so you have to set your own realistic system in place that you can manage given your own personal situation.
    My way of doing this : but remember I am an organised freak sometimes! : I have a weekly diary sheet where my days are split into sections, the CMing days have 5 sessions, before LO's arrive, morning session, nap time, afternoon session, evening.
    The weekend days (+retirement days) are 3 sessions : morning, afternoon and evening and my other days if I am doing my other job is dependent on the job for that week.

On a Sunday I sit with my diary sheet and shade out the sessions when I won't be able to do paperwork/ job related things first eg..social life, favourite tv viewing time when I am with Ch and not able to do anything else, shopping, ironing, baking etc.. At this point I also talk to DH about his plans and how that effects me. I then decide, depending on how busy my week is how many hours extra to CMing will I work this week, every week will be different depending on work load and other commitments.

The non shaded sections therefore are up for grabs to do paperwork so I then put in what I will do when e.g nap times- diary and obs write up , if Fri morning is available I might write down planning or assessment, or if Sunday afternoon is available I will pop in menu planning, on one night a week I try to make resources, but this week I have allocated all Friday to sewing resources as I need to make some more dressing up clothes. I only ever allocate one session at the weekend ( out of a possible 6) to paperwork and if my planning shows extra prep is needed then I will fit it in in the evenings mid week rather than eat up weekend time.
    If I change my mind about a session then I allocate the work I was supposed to do to another session that week or one the following week, that way I don't feel guilty about not doing something I have planned. I always make sure I have sessions not allocated to anything too.

I have always used this system so it was easy to transfer it to my new schedule as a CM, I have always worked full time so this system kept my work life balance sorted as my ch grew up ( my evenings then had2 sessions : before ch bedtime and after)
    The advantages to me are - that in allocating time I don't spend my life thinking about when I am going to do something or worrying that I haven't done it.
    - if I have a big workload I can spread it out and may even give up something else short term to get the job done ( like a TV viewing or a drink at the pub with friends or allocate ironing to DH)
    - my DH can see my diary ( in fact now I keep it pinned up in the office where he does his craft work) so he can see my workload and help me out if it looks full by ironing, cooking etc he uploads my photos for me sometimes if he wants to go for a walk or to our local for a swift one! We never argue over me spending too much time, he sees that it is necessary to run a business, but keeps an eye on my relaxation time.
    The key is though, to be realistic to what you personally can manage, I have a friend who likes to crash after work and spends the weekend looking after elderly relatives so she plans a whole day once every 3 weeks to do paperwork.
    Don't try to copy someone else's timetable as they will have different personal priorities to you. Give yourself an hour on your own to reflect about how much time you realistically have then set your own agenda.

Working my life to sessions may look a bit extreme but it allows me to be in control and be relaxed about everything once I have put it in my diary.

Good luck in sorting out a system that works for you!

3. Likes sarah707, Wiggle Wiggle, gef918, primula liked this post
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

5. Likes Wiggle Wiggle, primula liked this post
    Aug 12
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

Many thanks, Flora Dora for your detailed response. It really is helpful and I really like the idea of set out sessions where the day is broken down in various parts as that will help me focus and as you say that it would stop the stress and worry of should/not getting something done.

Many thanks again.

prereg
    Post Thanks / Like

Very helpful advice. Thank you!

sept 90
    Post Thanks / Like

Very good advice! Guilty of being on the laptop to much in the evenings, kidding myself I am being productive!