Don't know what to do???
Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  18
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Post Thanks / Like

Thumbs down Don't know what to do???

Hello, ive been studying childcare since school im now 25, I stopped 2 years ago to go into adult care but its not for me at all so ive decided to go back into childcare and decided childminding would be perfect for me as I have a 6 yr old aswell, my partner isnt very supportive and doesnt think its suitable as I wont earn any money and wont get any parents wanting to bring there children here as we have 3 yorkies and a pond in the garden, the pond has a raised wall around it and a fence on the wall so its very safe, I just feel very disheartened as its something I really want to do but cant see much point anymore, we own our own house but its not exactly a mansion. Can anyone help with any advice of whether its worth carrying on or just calling it a day? Thankyou x

Registered Childminder since
    Oct 09
    Post Thanks / Like

If it's what you want to do then I say go for it. It helps if you have the support of your partner though!
    There are minders with dogs. I don't have any so not best placed to advise , other than risk assess. As to the pond, if it's safe and you again risk assess then I'm sure that's fine too. Again I don't have a pond but I'm guessing a grate over it if needs be? I have however worked before from a small house and it's do able . Storage is key lol
    It's hard work but rewarding , more so as it's your own business. Just don't fall behind like me.
    Why wouldn't you earn any money? I've worked in adult care full time, and I earn more now than I did then?! Maybe not much more , and if I just didn't keep buying things for work I'd be earning a fair chunk more! If your own is 6 then ( space allowing) you could potentially have 3 children all day.2 x 5-8s before and after school Plus over 8s. That's a nice income. Sadly, it doesn't always work like that and you may get days were you only have 1 child, and only have work 3 days, but the potential is there? Good luck with your decision x

3. Likes lizzybee liked this post
    pre-reg
    Post Thanks / Like

I have been Childminding a year and I love it but I think it would be very hard to do it without the support of your OH. It does take over your house in a lot of ways with the various paperwork you have to display, toys etc you will need for mindees, parents dropping off and picking up, it is inevitable that it has an impact on your family life.
    That said I have a 9 year old Daughter that I spend every holiday with,I can do her school runs, she comes out on trips with me and mindees and she loves it !
    I think you need to have another talk with your OH and try to resolve any issues he may have - I can't see the dogs being a problem as lots of parents love their kids to interact with animals.
    Do you know any childminders in your area that you could visit, to see their setting and how they work, and compare to your own home ?
    Good luck !

5. Likes lizzybee liked this post
    Nov 04
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

I'm not going to lie it would be hard if your DH is not supportive. It can be tough though enjoyable and rewarding but its very invasive into your personal life and home.

I'd have another proper heart to heart with him once you've looked into it better. Tell him what you could potentially earn (but there are no guarantees) and ask him what his concerns are. If he's going to have a problem with the children and families invading his home space then I'd say it might potentially cause lots of problems between you.
    if you do what you've always done, you'll get what you've always got

7. Likes lizzybee liked this post
    Dec 11
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good ;-)
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

My advice would be that you all would have to be on board with a decision like this, as a home run business does tend to take over your life, and more so with childminding

There a plenty of childminders out there with dogs, cats, hens, bearded dragons, snakes, guinea pigs, you name it, so having dogs can actually benefit parents that want their child to be around pets, but don't want the responsibility of owning any.

You will be required to risk assess your home and garden to identify any potential problems, and then take steps to minimise them eg: dogs not allowed unsupervised access to children, have separate area in which to do their business, fish pond has a cover made of chicken wire, strong enough to take the weight of an adult to prevent children falling in...
    Whatever is practical for you and your home to make it a safe environment for other peoples children

Any self employed business has quiet and unpredictable periods where there is little or no money coming in - its the nature of the beast, and obviously when setting up a new business, there are worrying times.
    You need to research the demand in your area, is there a need for more childminders? Are existing minders full or do they have lots of available spaces? What are the charges like? What do fees include? What are parents expected to pay extra for?
    (Some minders incl everything in their fees, nappies, wipes, outings, meals etc, some charge less per hour but then parents are expected to supply/pay for nappies, wipes, outings, meals etc)
    How about nurseries? Are they full?

Talk to your local early years team, they will be able to advise you on the local demand. Look at childcare.co.uk to see how many minders are in your area with available spaces and their fees if they have them on there

Be careful of your own expectations
    By that I mean it's very easy to put on rose tinted glasses and think you'll have 3 full timers that are beautifully behaved, you'll have fun, games and laughter all day long, with parents that can't pay you quick enough for looking after their little darlings, and the world will be a happy place.
    The reality is more likely to be you have 3 part timers, you'll be run ragged trying to keep everyone happy, the children's disputes, parents swopping and changing, then them having financial issues and or marital issues, and expecting you to sort them out, with a mountain of paperwork piling up in a secluded corner next to you sat on the floor slowly rocking backwards and forwards and a hubby that just wants to come home from work without standing on a lego block or sitting on someones wet artwork

Well, ok, maybe not that bad all the time, but you get the idea

In terms of making a living - we wouldn't be here unless we were
    Financially from my perspective, we're better off than we have been for a number of years, so I wouldn't change a thing - not even the rocking in a corner next to the mounting pile of paperwork.....

Good luck with your research

pre-reg
    Post Thanks / Like

That made me laugh !!!!

10. Likes Kiddleywinks liked this post
    Dec 11
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good ;-)
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by karen2010 View Post
    That made me laugh !!!!
    Tell me it's not true

12. Likes karen2010 liked this post
    pre-reg
    Post Thanks / Like

It is but you worded it so beautifully as well !!
    Still laughing !!
    'Rocking back and forth' - priceless !!!

14. Likes The Juggler, Kiddleywinks liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I think youve put me off haha, no honestly paper work and stuff like that I love doing, and im very organised when it comes to it all, theres not a thing out of place in my house lol, (soon to change) haha,
    As for speaking to my partner, I have done again today and hes still not helped, hes admitted he doesnt want me to do it in this house and im not changing things in the house just to suit myself,
    I really have my heart set on this, I wanted to go back to uni to become a children's nurse but he said no because we have a motgage to pay so I said id go back to college to become a teaching assistant, waste of time he said. I am so unhappy in this job im in now, theres no future in it at all, arggghh so frustrated

Dec 11
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good ;-)
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Sounds like there might be a bigger issue here than your choice of career :-/

Post Thanks / Like

Yeah its called controlling :/ if its causing fall outs already then I dont see much point in my carrying on, x

Dec 11
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good ;-)
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Sorry, can't help you with that one I'm afraid, relationships definitely aren't my forte

Nov 04
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

could you go back to working in childcare in a nursery maybe. If he's dead against you working from home it really will cause heaps of problems. You need someone supportive when you are a CM.

Sorry things are not working out for you xx
    if you do what you've always done, you'll get what you've always got

Post Thanks / Like

I worked in a nursery for just under a year and really didnt enjoy it. Ive always wanted to run my own nursery eventually, and I thought childminding from home would be a great start, thank you anyway everyone for all your advice. Im sure ill find something to do with my life lol xxx

Jan 13
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

Sorry that you are having all these hurdles put in your way.

Re nurseries, I have worked in a few and there is night and day between a genuinely good nursery and erm, 'others' so if you can find a good 'un that may still be an option? Or perhaps you could become a nanny? Again, if you find the right family it might be a way for you to work in the area where your heart lies (with no Ofsted breathing down your neck! )

I hope everything comes good for you x

sept 90
    Post Thanks / Like

Has he come up with any suggestions himself??!

toddlers896 Guest

it definitely wont work if your other half does not support you. My other half is always moaning and telling me this job is not for me. We had a good chat a couple of weeks ago and I was all for giving up the job but he said he would support me more. Last night he was on a late shift, not due in from work until 9 so I took the opportunity to print off photos and update my learning journeys. As soon as he walked in the door he said ive been at work since 7am today and as usual you are sat here doing this silly childminding stuff until 10 at night. aaaaaahhhhhh. ive not done work in the evenings since we had our chat and he still ****** moans at me. I just don't understand what the big deal is. So what if I am doing a bit of work in the evenings. I give up!!!! we cant win. He must be on your side because the job is hard enough without him moaning all the time. I think you are right though, its a control thing.
    God luck.

Post Thanks / Like

Definitely won't work if the two of you aren't on the same page...this job is hard enough!

My OH moans every now and then, I do feel for him, the job takes over most the house, and most of my waking hours- it's not really fair on him, it's not his career choice after all!

Have a real think what you want, and what you could work out with your other half, you both need to be happy! Xx

Per-reg
    Post Thanks / Like

I agree with previous posts. The job is hard enough and I personally find it takes up a lot of my time to the point that when I'm sitting down watching tv I'm browsing the internet looking at activities / resources and then sorting through paperwork , if I go shopping I end up going off track and see things that would be great for the kids. my partners currently redoing the whole garden for the minded children.

My partner does get frustrated due to the above and also the toys, papers out etc me telling him off for leaving a coffee on the table or not putting a socket cover back in once he's finished, but he does help out here and there and he comes out with us to the park etc it makes such a difference.

If your partner works full time maybe you could consider childminding during the hours he's working so that it doesn't effect him when he comes home or Childmind a couple of days and work in a pre-school or somewhere for the other 3 days (as an example) . Childminding can be a good earner, I get between 18,000-20,000 a year but that's before expenses and I work 4 days a week.

You have to do what you think is best for you and your family x