DfE survey on ratios for parents
Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  6
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Simona Guest

Default DfE survey on ratios for parents

Well it looks like the DfE and Truss are not happy at being defeated on ratios....so we now have a survey for parents
    who were against before so why ask again?

Ratios in nurseries and other childcare settings Survey

Simona Guest

Those of you on Facebook should look at the DfE page...I understand the ratio argument has come up again there

Simona Guest

Well.... this issue has been going around Twitter from this morning and still going on.
    Many in the sector are questioning why the survey now and are very suspicious that something is brewing up at the DfE especially when the survey is not on the website but was tweeted with @trussliz as the reference???

I then remembered that our Under Secretary has been saying in recent interviews she was puzzled why the EY sector did not use the 1:13 ratio?
    (maybe the low funding does not cover the wages of an EYP even with a 1:13?)

Here are her views...scroll down to Q814/817 and you will see she does not think the ratio is done and dusted?
    I never thought she accepted Clegg's Uturn...in fact I feel she was annoyed by his intervention and ruined her 'formidable' More Affordable Childcare argument ?

House of Commons - Uncorrected Evidence - uc364-vi

Please share this link anywhere you can so that parents can reply

Get ready for another ratio petition and if so we can put it in her Xmas stocking!
    Last edited by Simona; 27-10-2013 at 03:59 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

All I can think to say us: groan!

Will that woman never learn?

5. Likes loocyloo, FloraDora liked this post
    Registered Childminder since
    oct 02
    Latest Inspection Grade
    outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

I got half way through and sorry, - lost the will to live! I will try to finish it tomorrow!

she just doesn't listen and won't admit anything!

7. Likes bunyip liked this post
    Simona Guest

Quote Originally Posted by loocyloo View Post
    I got half way through and sorry, - lost the will to live! I will try to finish it tomorrow!

That is exactly the problem Loocyloo...
    she and DfE should accept the fact that the ratio has been settled and put to bed but no...this is not positive and also shows they are driven by ideology and arrogance rather than evidence....no one wants a 1:13 ratio because the low funding does not allow for what Truss thinks will happen: that EYPs will then be paid a better wage as she has calculated

I hope we are not saturated with petitions and consultations and lose sight of this issue ...we put a lot of effort into it first time round.

Nov 11
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by loocyloo View Post

I have to agree.

As far as my list of "fun things I want to do with my weekend" is concerned, perusing the DfE 4rseb00k page is right up there with pulling my own teeth out.

10. Likes dawn100 liked this post
    Simona Guest

Quote Originally Posted by bunyip View Post
    I have to agree.

As far as my list of "fun things I want to do with my weekend" is concerned, perusing the DfE 4rseb00k page is right up there with pulling my own teeth out.
    Thank you for your comment Bunyip
    I am not sure how long the survey is to be running so no reason for anyone having to spend time on it at the weekend
    I brought it to the attention of the members of this forum because I felt it was important to share and for them to be aware of it as the forum played a big part in the petition against ratios.

I thought that the matter would have been forgotten this morning but providers are still concerned and still asking why and questioning the biased questions put to parents

There is apparently a discussion on the DfE FB page on this but the survey was actually launched via twitter which in itself is very strange indeed...I cannot verify that as I do not access FB

I also understand that one of the associations will do a press release this morning
    No one has to feel obliged to input in this if they feel it is not pertinent to them.

Simona Guest

Here is the article confirming providers' worries
    PLA is the Association who will do the press release later on today

DfE parents' survey re-ignites fears over ratio changes | Nursery World

It appears the survey is now also on the DfE FB page

if you are concerned please send the link to your parents as many are not on Twitter or FB.

Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

I know I go against the grain, but I'm glad the ratios are up for consideration again. I was very disappointed when the changes were scrapped. I'm not alone either. Since the plans were scratched I have heard so many cms moaning about not being allowed more children. The rules on exceptions really don't make sense. If I can have 4 children for continuity of care, why can't I have a 4th due to new business? What difference does it make?

I know I'm looking at it from a personal point of view rather than the childcare sector as a whole, but I do wonder whether there will be as much opposition to it now that many people have realised it would actually benefit their business?

14. Likes bindy, lizann liked this post
    Simona Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Mouse View Post
    I know I go against the grain, but I'm glad the ratios are up for consideration again. I was very disappointed when the changes were scrapped. I'm not alone either. Since the plans were scratched I have heard so many cms moaning about not being allowed more children. The rules on exceptions really don't make sense. If I can have 4 children for continuity of care, why can't I have a 4th due to new business? What difference does it make?

I know I'm looking at it from a personal point of view rather than the childcare sector as a whole, but I do wonder whether there will be as much opposition to it now that many people have realised it would actually benefit their business?
    This particular survey is around using 1:13 in a nursery which as we know was dropped
    This ratio is allowed under the EYFS 12 but many providers do not use it because they know it will not benefit the children or allow them to pay for a EYP to lead that group.

As PLA put it very well why does the DfE not allow providers to make their own judgement on what is best for their children and setting?
    That would also concur with Truss' views that providers need to be independent and make their own judgement as professionals.

CMs are still entitled to increase their numbers as per EYFS 2012 having assessed their setting and provision

Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

I am hopeful that they make the rules on exceptions clearer when they update the Eyfs - which I believe is happening at some point in the not too distant future.

However, this issue I thought was about the 1 - 13 ratios - not childminder ratios. I need to go and have a proper read...

Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by sarah707 View Post
    I am hopeful that they make the rules on exceptions clearer when they update the Eyfs - which I believe is happening at some point in the not too distant future.

However, this issue I thought was about the 1 - 13 ratios - not childminder ratios. I need to go and have a proper read...
    I commented without having read it, so it may well be about group ratios

Clear rules on exceptions would be good. They're desperately needed.

Simona Guest

The way the sector has responded on twitter means they are worried at the ratio in nurseries so.... yes we are talking about 1:13...PLA has also addressed it as that in their response today

If the minster is determined to pursue this matter we will know soon because she also wanted a change for CMs in the past.

In the meantime CMs can continue to do their own variation as before
    The EYFS is far from clear and does confuse CMs when presented with the situation of increase, as this forum shows by the many questions posed all the time when CMs get confused about new business and continuity of care.
    I will make sure this is addressed and the EYFS made clearer.

I am sure we have not heard the last of this....we still await a response from Nick Clegg who was sent many tweets yesterday asking for his views and Lucy Powell, Shadow Minister for Childcare, has also received the link to the survey

Mar 08
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

I agree with mouse. If its ok for sibling etc why not for new business? Does not make sense at all. I know I can deal with 4 under 5, have done in the past don't find it difficult or think the kids miss out. If someone can not, that's fine too. Some find 3 under 5 hard work and choose to have 2 only!