RE FREE FUNDED HOURS
Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Registered Childminder since
    jan 85
    Post Thanks / Like

Default RE FREE FUNDED HOURS

I've just downloaded the application forms from my LA re funded places for 2,3,4 year olds, and the last thing on the last page is this:-

we will "reserve the right to make unannounced visits to monitor providers' compliance with the requirements of inclusion in the List of Providers."

Is this normal?
    Haven't applied before so this may be perfectly normal, but thought I'd check.

Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

That's always been the case with my LA. They used to do 1 unannounced and one planned visit per term. All visits were cut when the LA staff lost their jobs, but they still held the right to visit unannounced.

I'm not sure how it works since changes to funding.

Simona Guest

Quote Originally Posted by lilac_dragon View Post
    I've just downloaded the application forms from my LA re funded places for 2,3,4 year olds, and the last thing on the last page is this:-

we will "reserve the right to make unannounced visits to monitor providers' compliance with the requirements of inclusion in the List of Providers."

Is this normal?
    Haven't applied before so this may be perfectly normal, but thought I'd check.
    For those new to funding these are LAs 'Conditions of funding' which usually are in the contract you have to sign to access funding...each LA will have its own but the theme is similar

I have not signed mine as yet because I don't like the conditions...having removed the original barriers such as Level 3, accreditation and belonging to a network, we now find more are hidden in their contract...please read the 'small print' before you sign.

I have no objections to them visiting me to give me support now I may draw the funding (wonder why for 7 years no one supported me??)...but I resent 'unannounced' visits...so the LAs are out to catch us up just like Ofsted are doing??

it is also very contradictory when LAs say they have no funding to support us but can spend money on sending someone to knock on your door unannounced?

Unannounced visits are part of the original NCMA Children Come First Networks ...many Las have abandoned them but still keep some of the questionable practice...
    yes I hear you ...some cms need to be checked on the spot but this creates a feeling of mistrust....is it the LA right to do unannounced visits?

Poor Truss ...she so thought she would curb the LAs powers ...no chance
    sorry entirely my opinion and as you may gather very strong too!!

One last bit if I may...lets stop calling them 'funded hours' they are not ...they are purely a subsidy from cms and other providers, to parents who often earn more than we do

Those families now entitled to funding for 2 year olds can earn up to £16,194 PA and so entitled to funding...many cms earn less than that!
    The poor cannot fund the poor.
    The only way to get govt et al to listen is to realise calling it 'free' is truly deceiving...parents know they are not 'free' and never have been.

Apologies for the strong feelings !!
    Last edited by Simona; 11-09-2013 at 12:44 PM.

jan 85
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Simona View Post
    For those new to funding these are LAs 'Conditions of funding' which usually are in the contract you have to sign to access funding...each LA will have its own but the theme is similar

I have not signed mine as yet because I don't like the conditions...having removed the original barriers such as Level 3, accreditation and belonging to a network, we now find more are hidden in their contract...please read the 'small print' before you sign.

I have no objections to them visiting me to give me support now I may draw the funding (wonder why for 7 years no one supported me??)...but I resent 'unannounced' visits...so the LAs are out to catch us up just like Ofsted are doing??

it is also very contradictory when LAs say they have no funding to support us but can spend money on sending someone to knock on your door unannounced?

Unannounced visits are part of the original NCMA Children Come First Networks ...many Las have abandoned them but still keep some of the questionable practice...
    yes I hear you ...some cms need to be checked on the spot but this creates a feeling of mistrust....is it the LA right to do unannounced visits?
    sorry entirely my opinion and as you may gather very strong too!!
    Thanks for the explanation Simona, I'm sure I won't be the only one in need of yet more advice re this.
    You already know my feelings on unannounced visits, especially as we spend most of our time off out somewhere at the moment.
    Also, the "temporary rate for chms not in the bands QTS or EYP, or Levels 4,5 or 6" is only £3.10p. I have charged £4 for 3 years now, but I know the local rate is higher than that, so a big difference.

Simona Guest

Quote Originally Posted by lilac_dragon View Post
    Thanks for the explanation Simona, I'm sure I won't be the only one in need of yet more advice re this.
    You already know my feelings on unannounced visits, especially as we spend most of our time off out somewhere at the moment.
    Also, the "temporary rate for chms not in the bands QTS or EYP, or Levels 4,5 or 6" is only £3.10p. I have charged £4 for 3 years now, but I know the local rate is higher than that, so a big difference.
    Sorry I left out that very vital bit of information...thank you for highlighting it!

Some LAs pay more than the going rate charged by providers while others expect us to drop our income by 50%.
    This is a well known fact..
    Truss says she will address this disparity with a 'single formula' for all and I believe an extra added for London due to high costs

Is she does that then she may have achieved something else...remember that a year ago she was not aware that the vast majority of cms were denied the right to funding due to LAs conditions.

She has addressed that... will she have the will to address the next?...that is if she is still in the DfE and not elevated somewhere else!

jan 85
    Post Thanks / Like

Thank you Simona, and Thank you Mouse, too.