Nurseries and cms to report toddlers...
Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  5
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Simona Guest

Default Nurseries and cms to report toddlers...

Post Thanks / Like

Unbelievable who comes up with these ideas! older kids in higher school , uni I can understand but toddlers?

Registered Childminder since
    Ex CM
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Non childminder member
    01/01/09
    Post Thanks / Like

This is getting so stupid!
    Need a laugh? Visit my website: www.unclegargy.deviantART.com

Nov 13
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Like Russel Hobby I am uneasy with this.
    But, having a route that you can talk to someone about possible concerns, like we have with safeguarding would help. Working in inner city schools ( in Birmingham) in my previous life I and other staff have raised concerns about influences of radicalism from a very young age, young children listen to what is being said in their homes and see it as the norm so can say things in social conversation that might raise concerns - but we often just talked about it amongst each other, thinking that if we raised our thoughts we might be seen as being racist.

We have to hold on to the fact that these extremists are still rare, but given the recent issues in the Midlands and the amount of young people running away for the cause that they believe to be vital, I can see why we have to put something in place. The problem I think is that trust will break down and it will all go underground, young children will be taught not to discuss anything outside their home.

Not sure what I would propose to sort it though as by the time they are old enough to attend groups that will open up their thoughts and experiences the influence has already happened.

5. Likes Maza liked this post
    Nov 11
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

All well and good, but the imposition of establishment views under the guise of "British values" is just an alternative form of radicalisation.

Like, wasn't this country just so fantastic when we built a successful economy on slavery and looting, and gunned down any jumped-up 'lesser races' who had the temerity to resist invasion?

Pink Floyd apparently got it wrong: we do need education just like we do need thought control.

7. Likes FloraDora liked this post
    sept 93
    Post Thanks / Like

Sorry but now they are going to far

Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

I have been reading up on this ... it's all part of the Govt aim to protect children who live in our country from being radicalised.

That in itself is a good aim - we need children to be safe.

It's also part of the new DfE requirement to teach children British values which we should all be aware of ... but this takes it a step further because it is saying that if they are resistant to our teaching or speak against it with messages from home that worry us we must question what the child is being taught... and 'report' it to protect the child.

Again, some might feel that in itself is a good thing - children need protecting from adults who might do them harm...

But of course we are not qualified to make these judgements and it will simply push families who want to radicalise children underground and lots of other negatives about big brother as well ...

There is more information about teaching British values here x
    Sarah's Blog: Teaching children British values

Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by FloraDora View Post
    Working in inner city schools ( in Birmingham) in my previous life I and other staff have raised concerns about influences of radicalism from a very young age, young children listen to what is being said in their homes and see it as the norm so can say things in social conversation that might raise concerns - but we often just talked about it amongst each other, thinking that if we raised our thoughts we might be seen as being racist.
    Isn't this what they said in Rotherham when all those girls were being abused

11. Likes FloraDora, Ripeberry liked this post
    Nov 13
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by sarah707 View Post
    Isn't this what they said in Rotherham when all those girls were being abused
    Precisely, This was 30 years ago, Who could we tell? It wasn't like safeguarding from abuse, where training and proceedures were in place, where we obviously followed all proceedures......unlike the Rotherham folk.

This is why I sort of welcome this new proposal, with training and proceedure we will have somewhere to take concerns..... there was nobody interested then, no where to go, the world hadn't yet realised that this was an issue ......

13. Likes sarah707 liked this post
    Simona Guest

This issue has been in the news and widely discussed...several article out in the media too

I think we can all make an individual statement on how we feel or should act in this matter....but stop a minute and reflect on the consequences on us 'getting involved and reporting' radicalisation....or what we think is radicalisation....some providers may be able to report on such matter should they have the knowledge or experience ...just think of those who could end up in a lot of trouble for wading into something they are not experienced in???... and simply because of what a 3 year old may be talking about to us?

I wonder if this is not another matter the DfE and govt believes we... in EY... can lend a hand for nothing?
    remember helping children to brush their teeth?...or telling parents how to feed their families?....or helping parents about children being overweight?...or helping parent and teach them how to cook?....many more examples...the latest being EY must work with schools and help to get children ready for starting formal education!!!...yes that's right!!

When thinking of all this lets remind ourselves that reporting suspected child abuse or safeguarding is not 'compulsory'...the govt has refused to make it so despite a noisy campaign recently...the mind boggles

This is a serious subject that requires consultation with the public so here is the link

https://www.gov.uk/government/upload...Accessible.pdf

and here are a few articles

According to the Government, my toddler could be a terrorist... - Comment - Voices - The Independent

Terrorism bill means nurseries 'must understand risk of radicalisation' | Nursery World

Radicalisation is a serious matter but I worry if the govt is not using this as part of their election waffle???
    Last edited by Simona; 06-01-2015 at 10:16 AM.

Nov 13
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Just received info from our LA that we have a prevent team who we can contact to discuss any concerns. I am pleased this is in place now as I was concerned about lack of knowledge/ training / support available.
    They have referenced this document:

https://www.gov.uk/government/upload...l-guidance.pdf

Simona Guest

Quote Originally Posted by FloraDora View Post
    Just received info from our LA that we have a prevent team who we can contact to discuss any concerns. I am pleased this is in place now as I was concerned about lack of knowledge/ training / support available.
    They have referenced this document:

https://www.gov.uk/government/upload...l-guidance.pdf
    Like you many are questioning the lack of training in dealing with this matter...I personally think we need to know what we are doing, how to approach this and how best to act in case we suspect something.

The document you linked is dated 2012...I don't think anyone has done anything since then so LAs will now have to act and put something together....about time too they seem to have been warned but did not act on it.

Thanks for sharing

Post Thanks / Like

Thank you floradora very interesting reading and helpful.