Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  12
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Registered Childminder since
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Default Getting... and staying organised... tips for independent childminders

As an independent childminder, you will be totally responsible for your own business and how it is run.

You are unlikely to have very much LA support... so it will be up to you to manage things effectively.

I am adding new pages to my Independent Childminders website as they are written.

This new page covers how to get - and stay - organised through the days, weeks and months.

I hope you find it useful

Getting organised

Dec 00
    Post Thanks / Like

That's great. Anyone thinking of becoming a childminder who reads this will certainly be in no doubt that it's not a job where you can sit down and relax for long.

may 05
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

You forgot to add "log onto forum to keep up to date with latest Ofsted & Education Dept bright ideas" and then stay and chat for a couple of hours, meaning hubby has to iron his own shirts as "I am still working"!

4. Likes Bluebell, wellybelly, Shamai, primula liked this post
    jan 85
    Post Thanks / Like

Thanks a million Sarah this is going to be invaluable to Childminders, - old and new.

Sept 13
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

Amazing...thank you Sarah! Your advice really breaks down everything that we need to do into manageable chunks. Hopefully it'll help me avoid getting backlogged....fingers crossed!

Simona Guest

Quote Originally Posted by hectors house View Post
    You forgot to add "log onto forum to keep up to date with latest Ofsted & Education Dept bright ideas" and then stay and chat for a couple of hours, meaning hubby has to iron his own shirts as "I am still working"!
    ...and after that add the time to your CPD for peer support !!

Oct 07
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

Does anyone know where we can access CPD / Training courses / Paediatric First Aid when we are independent childminders? Is it likely to still be our LA's but they will charge us or is there simply nothing available for childminders?
    Wellybellyxxxxxxxxx

Nov 13
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Just popped onto the food.gov site that You recommended Sarah and read through all the points for childminders thank you for the signpost.
    Does everyone who provides snacks and lunch fill in the action sheets and 3 month review?
    At first I thought it was a bit ridiculous that I would record if I found some ham that was a day out of date. I would throw it away and certainly not use it for children in my care but record it?
    Then after some reflection, I wonder if it shows you are aware and regularly checking?

I would love some advice around this.

Nov 13
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Forgot to reply in my last post to Wellybelly that St Johns do paediatric first aid suitable for childminders. I have recently completed mine through them because the LA course wasn't until Nov - but at a cost of £110!

June86
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

Thank-you Sarah.

Oct 11
    Latest Inspection Grade
    GOOD
    Post Thanks / Like

As always you're a lifesaver Sarah...I'm printing and laminating this for the front of my personal folder!

Post Thanks / Like

Thank you (again) Sarah - the website is brilliant and will be a life saver for all of us not wanting to join agencies

Miffy xx
    Keep smiling!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by wellybelly View Post
    Does anyone know where we can access CPD / Training courses / Paediatric First Aid when we are independent childminders? Is it likely to still be our LA's but they will charge us or is there simply nothing available for childminders?
    The EYFS says that "First aid training must be local authority approved....." So it seems LAs will still have to provide a list of trainers. ATM our LA regularly sends out emails of first aid courses, some organised by cm's grouping together and some by training companies. I suppose much will depend whether there is anyone left to send out the emails inthe first place!

Miffy xx
    Keep smiling!

15. Likes sarah707 liked this post
    Simona Guest

Quote Originally Posted by miffy View Post
    The EYFS says that "First aid training must be local authority approved....." So it seems LAs will still have to provide a list of trainers. ATM our LA regularly sends out emails of first aid courses, some organised by cm's grouping together and some by training companies. I suppose much will depend whether there is anyone left to send out the emails inthe first place!

Miffy xx
    It would not surprise me if that requirement was not going to be removed soon...any accredited provider can train you on First AID because the approach does not vary from LA to LA and many offer FA for free (mine does)...I am sure in future we can buy FA where we want and at a time suitable to us
    Lets see if the DfE will clarify that soon

Safeguarding is different of course because of the LSCB...those do vary from LA to LA

It is because many LAs will have a reduced number of EY staff that training providers will soon start advertising their courses...so watch out.

July 96
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

As always, thank you Sarah

I never thought about doing a daily diary for myself, going to start that today.
    Last edited by cherry; 23-08-2013 at 07:56 AM.
    Cherry x