Are the Lib Dem in favour of agencies?
Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  3
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Simona Guest

Default Are the Lib Dem in favour of agencies?

Following Clegg's statement that he wants providers to extend their opening hours or risk not getting an outstanding the Lib Dems have published their policy paper which will be at the centre of their conference

If you look under the Summary and 'childcare' on page 4 it says:

*As Local Authority finances allow, continuing the roll-out of Children and Family
    Centres, which can serve as centres of excellence, multi-disciplinary hubs and
    agencies for childcare providers in the area.

I read this as they want childcare hubs and agencies...should we start writing to them too or at least copy any letters to them?

Registered Childminder since
    Nov 02
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

It's my understanding that the Lib Dems are definitely in favour of agencies.

When the furore over ratios was at its height, the Lib Dem spokesman who appeared on Newsnight to emphasise their opposition to the ratio proposals made a point of saying that they support childminder agencies.

Nov 11
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

The evidence suggests their only real policy is to crawl into bed with anyone who can get them a couple of seats in Cabinet.

4. Likes lisbet, loocyloo, Bambini2 liked this post
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Yes they are in favour of agencies - I remember it on a television programme - the guy was saying they were not convinced about ratios but when agencies came in it would be wonderful and brilliant or something similar

Dec 00
    Post Thanks / Like

This explains the email I got from my Lib Dem MP. I thought he was sitting on the fence,now I see that he was trying to make me shut up and go away until the results of the consultation are made clear.

Any idea what Labour think? I am still waiting for an acknowledgement/reply from Stephen Twigg.

Simona Guest

@Home Childcare have, I believe, some experience of supporting nannies and cms but agencies will have none...unless LAs turn into agencies that is different

In a way @Home Childcare have done us a favour by saying agencies can support new cms but not established and successful ones with little to offer us...therefore remaining independent is still the argument we should put forward: why join an agency when their support will be inferior to what some cms are used to have??

No matter how many new cms are recruited they will never outnumber those already established as long as we keep our nerve and not jump into joining them

Simona Guest

So sorry...I wanted to post this in the @Home Childcare thread ..nothing to do with the Lib Dems policy if they actually have one
    I will copy it to the other thread