Important message about 2,3 and 4 year old funding
Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  12
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Registered Childminder since
    01/2008
    Post Thanks / Like

2 year old funding is based on benefits and social security payments was what I was told this morning also my LEA is waiting for confirmation on what the changes mean in our area and that we would still need something in place like a business plan to show that funding is sustainable x

Post Thanks / Like

I wouldn't say that having to provide a business plan complies with

"A4.9
    Limit the conditions they place on providers who been rated as ‘good’ or
    ‘outstanding’ to deliver funded places to those related to ensuring:

funded places are entirely free of charge to parents;

places
    are offered flexibly to meet the needs of parents;

the proper use of public funds;

providers meet the needs of disabled children or those with a special
    educational need; and

providers are keeping children safe"

I would challenge as I think some LAs have a strange need to make extra work for childminders...or will staff lose jobs if there is no one needed to trawl through all this paperwork.

Post Thanks / Like

I'm also in Northants & have been told I'd need a level 3 qualification and to join a network.

Simona, from your post below it seems that they can't impose these conditions, unless they "guard against the misappropriation of public funds, ensure that funded places are completely free of charge to parents, support flexible delivery of places, meet the needs of children with disabilities or special needs and keep children safe."

So... can the LA say that these conditions are keeping the children safe?

To be honest I wont be providing funded places if these conditions continue to be imposed as I'm not overly keen on taking a pay cut so I don't want to have to give up time to studying & networks as well.

Simona Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Anacrusis View Post
    I'm also in Northants & have been told I'd need a level 3 qualification and to join a network.

Simona, from your post below it seems that they can't impose these conditions, unless they "guard against the misappropriation of public funds, ensure that funded places are completely free of charge to parents, support flexible delivery of places, meet the needs of children with disabilities or special needs and keep children safe."

So... can the LA say that these conditions are keeping the children safe?

To be honest I wont be providing funded places if these conditions continue to be imposed as I'm not overly keen on taking a pay cut so I don't want to have to give up time to studying & networks as well.
    The reply below is in quotation marks and exactly what the DfE has explained...in my interpretation it has nothing to do with keeping children safe, that applies to condition that can be imposed on providers who may have had a safeguarding issue
    Misappropriation of funds must refer to getting funding for children in your setting and telling the LA when they leave so they stop funding you?
    not sure but LAs have good monitoring systems in place (rather ironinc this when for years they have been allowed to 'cream off' part of govt central funding!!!)

You do not need a Level 3 or to join a network or be accredited...feel free to copy parts of the email and tell them it is a reply to a cm who raised questions

As said any more concerns can be sent to the DfE expert mentioned in my email...so please report them

Do go back and see what they say...also feel free to email the DfE on this...email below!

Simona Guest

I have good news...my LAs has sent cms a message explaining how to draw the funding in future etc etc and also that parents would contact us directly
    Good/o's are included now.

I wondered how parents could contact me as I am not on the register of providers?...only Accredited network cms are on that list
    so this morning I looked and ...my name is there now

Well if my La can comply I am sure all others will have to follow...they are rewriting their local conditions so until I see none in my way I can't sing victory
    If any conditions are imposed then I'm out

keep trying with your LA and report any problems...I won't stop fighting just because it looks like I am in...all cms who want to draw funding need to be included

Next step now is getting the funding increased...we can't survive at £3.50 in my area when children get to 3!

Post Thanks / Like

Where abouts in the country are you?
    Mandy xx

Simona Guest

Twickenham =Richmond upon Thames

Post Thanks / Like

Ok thanks hopefully will get something from my LA
    Mandy xx

Apr 11
    Latest Inspection Grade
    GOOD
    Post Thanks / Like

I'm Devon County Council.

I'm in the process of applying for funding at the moment for september but its been implied I've left it too late as it can take up to a term to process. I've had my safeguarding policies checked, my qualifications checked (level 3 or above)and proof that I have been working continuously for children for over a certain amount of time.

I've had to resubmit my safeguarding policy because it did not have the signs and symptoms of abuse in it - as the booklet I received on my training was several pages long on this I've now done this as an appendix with it all listed.
    I also hadn't submitted my mobile phone policy or my allegations of abuse policy as i wasn't asked to but they seemed to assume this would be part of my safeguarding.
    I will be interested to what they say about my mobile phone policy because as i understand it is a requirement to make clear what your usage of mobile phone is not any particular reference to what it should say. I chose not to use their model policy that was going on about no mobile phones and confiscating phones off visitors and having a designated mobile phone area - mine basically said I work on my own so it would be pointless to confiscate a mobile phone of myself and I use my mobile for photos to share with the parents and that i have it with me at all times in case of emergency or in case a parent needs to get hold of me. Its very clear what my policy is!

After I have had all this done I then have to have a FECCERS or ECCERS audit by my local development worker.

Anyway I'm rambling on now but I am wondering why I've been made to jump through all these hoops when as a 'Good' childminder I should be able to provide it anyway.
    Last edited by Bluebell; 04-08-2013 at 06:19 PM.

10. Likes watgem liked this post
    Simona Guest

It appears you have had to jump through the usual LA's hoops
    Make sure your Safeguarding policy is up to date...important for your inspection... but apart from that your LA is insisting on conditions that don't apply ...your grade is Good and that is all that matters.

Argue with your LA and quote the new Statutory Guidance...feedback to us

http://media.education.gov.uk/assets...ce%20final.pdf

Also quote Truss' letter to them about funding

https://www.gov.uk/government/upload...uthorities.pdf

Good luck ...we are still fighting this and you are not alone

12. Likes Bluebell liked this post
    Apr 11
    Latest Inspection Grade
    GOOD
    Post Thanks / Like

Thank you!

Mar 10
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

Well i have not such good news from here in Sefton.

i sent a second email yesterday to my Early Years Team, to say it had been 2 weeks since i last heard from them and that i was looking for a update as other LA had started to come forward and brief their CM's that they could now access the funding.

I had a responce today saying that they had been awaiting a responce from the DfE, which they had received late on Friday and i quote "From the DfE response; it is clear that they are certainly moving towards all childminders with a good or outstanding Ofsted inspection being able to take funded children, saying Local Authorities should fund them. However, the question for Sefton is whether we wait for this to become law."

I was advised that this would be discussed in a meeting on the 10th September and a responce would be available sometime after that.

So no chance of me being able to offer any funding in the next 3 months.

Simona feel free to use this information with your person at DfE if you wish as a example of Local authorities still hanging around.

Simona Guest

Quote Originally Posted by AgentTink View Post
    Well i have not such good news from here in Sefton.

i sent a second email yesterday to my Early Years Team, to say it had been 2 weeks since i last heard from them and that i was looking for a update as other LA had started to come forward and brief their CM's that they could now access the funding.

I had a responce today saying that they had been awaiting a responce from the DfE, which they had received late on Friday and i quote "From the DfE response; it is clear that they are certainly moving towards all childminders with a good or outstanding Ofsted inspection being able to take funded children, saying Local Authorities should fund them. However, the question for Sefton is whether we wait for this to become law."

I was advised that this would be discussed in a meeting on the 10th September and a responce would be available sometime after that.

So no chance of me being able to offer any funding in the next 3 months.

Simona feel free to use this information with your person at DfE if you wish as a example of Local authorities still hanging around.

The new guidance becomes law 1st September...I doubt the DfE will change its mind on this!
    Your LA is being 'difficult' to say the least and I am so sorry

I am gathering all your feedback and will certainly write once I get 100% guarantee I can do funding with 'no conditions' attached

Apr 11
    Latest Inspection Grade
    GOOD
    Post Thanks / Like

Well I e-mailed the lady I have been communicating with in the Early years entitlement funding department and sent a copy of the letter saying I was being awarded my certificate should they need it and by the way, why was i needing to do all this extra criteria because I had read the DfE document about only needing to be based on the ofsted. I sent her a link to the document.
    No reply but yesterday (Wednesday) I received the documents to sign as I had been approved to provide funding.
    Think it must have been sent Monday but no reply re the e-mail.
    Anyway I have passed on the information to other local childminders re the funding and I think they are going to pursue it.I will also mention it to the DO and see what she says.

Simona Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Bluelion View Post
    Well I e-mailed the lady I have been communicating with in the Early years entitlement funding department and sent a copy of the letter saying I was being awarded my certificate should they need it and by the way, why was i needing to do all this extra criteria because I had read the DfE document about only needing to be based on the ofsted. I sent her a link to the document.
    No reply but yesterday (Wednesday) I received the documents to sign as I had been approved to provide funding.
    Think it must have been sent Monday but no reply re the e-mail.
    Anyway I have passed on the information to other local childminders re the funding and I think they are going to pursue it.I will also mention it to the DO and see what she says.
    Were your conditions removed?
    yes some LAs will say you can draw funding but they may still impose conditions...let us know and thank you for your great feedback...together we will win but we need lots of you raising your concerns and speaking up

No one person can do it on our behalf..it has to be a collective effort

May 03
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

I have just become a funded childminder in our area. For the past year or so they have been recruiting cms. We have no network the criteria was
    Level 3 qualification
    Good or OS grade
    Be working through the local authority quality assurance scheme.

You then have at least 6 months of regular visits from the DW setting you things to making sure you have the relevant train gins - I have had to take three days of work to do a full day CAF training and 2 day safeguarding - once you ave jumped through hoops it hen goes to panel for a decision. The new rules mean that my friend who has a degree in child something or other to the level hat is the highest so BA or MA not sure which will now be able to e liver it - she couldn't previously as she wasn't doing steps to quality

Simons have pm you
    love Kate
    Save the earth it's the only planet with chocolate

01/2008
    Post Thanks / Like

co-ordinator came out today and I do not have to do the accreditation the criteria is outstanding/good that is all I do not have to join the network but if I wanted to I would have to have a level 3 qualification (im not sure if my Certificate in Early Years Practice with the OU is sufficient?)so I think I will join it anyway as I need the support and up-to-date info that they will provide. I can access funding for 2,3 and 4 year olds as soon as my details are added to the FIS site and I have signed an agreement.

Mar 10
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by madredann View Post
    co-ordinator came out today and I do not have to do the accreditation the criteria is outstanding/good that is all I do not have to join the network but if I wanted to I would have to have a level 3 qualification (im not sure if my Certificate in Early Years Practice with the OU is sufficient?)so I think I will join it anyway as I need the support and up-to-date info that they will provide. I can access funding for 2,3 and 4 year olds as soon as my details are added to the FIS site and I have signed an agreement.
    madredann that is great news, would you be able to let me know which LA you are with as i am currently compliling a list of LA who are offering the funding based on the new guidance to strengthen my case with my LA who are digging their heels at the moment. If you prefer not to mention on here could you PM?? Thanks

Apr 11
    Latest Inspection Grade
    GOOD
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Simona View Post
    Were your conditions removed?
    yes some LAs will say you can draw funding but they may still impose conditions...let us know and thank you for your great feedback...together we will win but we need lots of you raising your concerns and speaking up

No one person can do it on our behalf..it has to be a collective effort
    No conditions not removed - I had supplied all the information/proof they required.
    I also spoke to my DO today and she said she has already received the request to come and do the FECCERs audit on me and she has 2 months to do it.
    I have signed up for the level 3 safeguarding I am required to do and am also required to make clear my settings policy in a 'charging policy' to explain what sessions i offer and how i charged outside of funded sessions and that kind of thing.
    I have returned the signed paperwork to say I agree to their conditions of funding - things like doing the safeguarding level 3 and providing proof of DOB for the child and agreeing not claim for hours children are not doing. All seems pretty reasonable stuff.

madredann - certificate in early years is level 4 isn't it? so should be more than suffiecient.

Simona Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Bluelion View Post
    No conditions not removed - I had supplied all the information/proof they required.
    I also spoke to my DO today and she said she has already received the request to come and do the FECCERs audit on me and she has 2 months to do it.
    I have signed up for the level 3 safeguarding I am required to do and am also required to make clear my settings policy in a 'charging policy' to explain what sessions i offer and how i charged outside of funded sessions and that kind of thing.
    I have returned the signed paperwork to say I agree to their conditions of funding - things like doing the safeguarding level 3 and providing proof of DOB for the child and agreeing not claim for hours children are not doing. All seems pretty reasonable stuff.

madredann - certificate in early years is level 4 isn't it? so should be more than suffiecient.
    Bluelion...take a look at the thread started by Chatterbox on this...more info there and info on email sent to DfE

This whole saga is beginning to resemble a circus...that is where there are lots of hoops clowns have to jump through to make people laugh...except here no one is laughing!

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast