PLA broadly welcome More affordable childcare
Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  11
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Simona Guest

Default PLA broadly welcome More affordable childcare

The PLA was quick to respond

https://www.pre-school.org.uk/media/...care-proposals

Did any of your suggestions in the Commission appear in the response? A couple of mine are there and I'm sure were shared by other cms!

Registered Childminder since
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

I am quite shocked that PLA have responded on behalf of members - presumably including current childminder members and those childminders they are hoping to attract - without -

1. Giving us time to read and digest it

2. Asking us how we will be affected by it

3. Considering how we feel about it

Nurseries and pre-schools won't lose children to 3 hours non-registered before / after school care

Nurseries and pre-schools aren't affected by the agencies the document tells us are happening

Not exactly supportive of our needs saying they 'broadly welcome' it - without asking us first - is it?

3. Likes loocyloo, The Juggler liked this post
    july05
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

I must admit Sarah Im a little disappointed in the PLA response
    When someone tells you nothing is impossible, tell them to go slam a revolving door

5. Likes loocyloo liked this post
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

I have to be honest, I agree with you Sarah.

I have been considering becoming a member of PLA, but that is the second article I've read in a couple of days where they have completely ignored childminders.

I do think a lot of other childcare providers will be happy with the proposals as it all seems to be in their favour. The only mentions childminders get are that we're going to have agencies to 'solve' all the issues they've highlighted

7. Likes loocyloo liked this post
    Nov 05
    Post Thanks / Like

I'm not impressed with their response...it seems like they've not considered how this will affect childminders at all.

Sarah x
    Sarah, Bumble Beez x x

9. Likes loocyloo liked this post
    oct 02
    Latest Inspection Grade
    outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

I was thinking the same ... I was seriously thinking about joining the PLA, but they seem to have accepted agencies will 'sort us out and solve all the problems' ( that don't really exsist ) and ignored us. just watching and waiting to see what anyone else comes up with by way of response.

i'm a bit numb having read the report and all I can take in is that the gov't want school to be open all day and for all children to be in it all day. ( the only bit I liked was removing the need to do EYFS at settings, once child in full time school ) and I hope Ofsted read the bit where it says we don't need to do learning journeys, only 2 yr check and whatever the other thing was! no mention of having to evidence our knowledge of the childs development there though!

Simona Guest

Yes I am a bit worried too...in fact more than a bit

Cms are set to lose out a lot on these proposals especially by losing 2 year olds to school and the after school care children BUT...these kids will need holiday care maybe 8-6pm ...who will provide that?
    This govt has not thought any of this out properly

In addition there is no mention of agencies at all...girls and boys we have work to do still!!

So much to read at present we need to digest all details slowly...we knew it would all come out at once and just a few days before the mPs go on their holiday!

Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

I'm a positive person, always looking on the bright side, always optimistic.

But it seems to me that with the fight against ratios it was the whole childcare sector joining together. Childminders were a driving force behind the fight and fully embraced by all parties.

Now that battle has been won it's as if we've been dropped again. It's all about self preservation - nurseries and schools are the main focus and childminders are back at the bottom of the heap. It's no longer about the childcare sector as a whole. It's every man for himself.

We're the sacrificial lambs. Everyone else will get what they want at the expense of the now forgotten childminders

I'm not overly worried about my business, but I do worry about the future of childminding as a whole.

Sept 08
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

I agree and am now glad I did not choose pla to represent me
    boo

Simona Guest

Mouse ...I feel that the reforms announced today will affect the whole of the workforce because it will be us against schools...basically they have been given the go ahead to open all day and take over what we do and with some ease because lots of the regulation is being eased for them

This will affect preschools and nurseries too if the 2 year olds go into school...that is why the call is to 'work together'...schools have ignored the EY sectors for years....we do not matter that much to them
    Also Preschools and nurseries have ignored cms over the years too...and now schools can do as they like...whatever they do they will need cms in future for their grand plans...lets see??

I too worry about the future of cms...Truss is introducing 'deregulation' via the agencies (and LAs will be the first to jump to please her) and has take huge steps to deregulate after school care...bit by bit, their plan is over 10 years

I am worried about my business ..very much so

We must hold together and disappointed as we may be by the response and lack of support yesterday it is too early to react...

IT IS ALSO TOO HOT TO THINK STRAIGHT!!!

I am not defending PLA but I do think the reaction is premature...there are many unanswered questions
    Many cms have stuck with PACEY over the years while being very disappointed so PLA has made one announcement and all is wrong with them?

Let's be proactive not reactive? how many cms will contact PLA to clarify? how many will contact pacey to vent their worries?...how many have written to MPs and Lords while there was a chance? how many have contacted and battled with their LA over the 2 year old funding and becoming an agency?

I have a membership coming up for renewal in a few weeks time and I am exploring an alternative but I won't judge just by one quick response...have you seen anything from NDNA yet?

or 4Children who will be running 'childcare hubs'?

Lets remember too that agencies are happening under Pacey's watch...did the IPPR report make any difference? of course not

Lets cool down and then come back to this later
    Last edited by Simona; 17-07-2013 at 07:09 AM.

Mar 90
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

I think we are all understandably extremely concerned about our profession and sometimes being reactive is just a defence mechanism. Neil Leitch does seem to respond to announcements extremely quickly which is a positive thing. I'm sure James Tweed will welcome emails from childminders and be able to explain the thinking behind their announcement

Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

I have written a response to send to Mr Leitch - I need to spend some time on it making it more positive though because I would like to engage and encourage discussion.

It's taking some doing because I still feel very sidelined by PLA's response and the way childminder concerns appear to have been ignored

Simona Guest

I have done the same Sarah...sent an email asking for positive engagement and I am sure there will be a response
    I have had positive discussions before and I am sure these will continue

Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Simona View Post

I am not defending PLA but I do think the reaction is premature...there are many unanswered questions
    Many cms have stuck with PACEY over the years while being very disappointed so PLA has made one announcement and all is wrong with them?

It wouldn't be so bad if it was just the one disappointing announcement among many positive ones. Since considering PLA as a possible organisation for me, I have taken more of an interest in what they are saying. I have seen 2 articles in as many days from them, neither mentioning childminders and one of them actually talking about the members they represent as "nannies and playgroups".

I will still keep an open mind though & look forward to hearing any feedback from your's & Sarah's emails

19. Likes loocyloo, mum26 liked this post
    Simona Guest

I take your point Mouse and in order to hear why cms and agencies were not mentioned I took the trouble to write to PLA

I have also visited a PLA CCentre for cms and seen for myself what they offer in terms of support, I want to hear more and am determined to find out more in a positive manner
    I have attended their conference and was encouraged by the preschools being very much against cms agencies

I have suggested cms and preschools engage in more integrated working so we learn to value and respect the work we do and share information in future
    I have met the CEO and have regular contact with him...I too am disappointed but not willing to condemn until I know why we were omitted from the response

As a cm I will have no support come September from my LA because they will only concentrate on satisfactory and inadequate cms ....not that will make a difference as I have had no support for the last 7 years ....but representation in future will be vital for me as well as access to training

Sarah and I are very proactive but we also need back up...there is strength in numbers

I have also read Pacey response but nothing from the other 2 cms associations...if anyone comes across their response please share!

Simona Guest

Came back to the thread hoping to see some more response to MAC from other associations posted here...why am I not disappointed to find any?

Looks like it is up to cms to respond themselves on behalf of the cms sector!!

Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Simona View Post

Sarah and I are very proactive but we also need back up...there is strength in numbers

I have also read Pacey response but nothing from the other 2 cms associations...if anyone comes across their response please share!
    You are right Simona, it's very much about strength in numbers!

The freedom of information request results really made me wonder! Only 22 letters to DfE against agencies?? No wonder they think they can push ahead saying nobody is challenging them

https://www.whatdotheyknow.com/reque...es_expressions

I am preparing a response to 'more affordable childcare' but we all need to send it!!