UKCMA feedback on their meeting with Lord Storey
Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  27
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Simona Guest

Default UKCMA feedback on their meeting with Lord Storey

This is a very short feedback from the meeting UKCMA had with Lord Storey about agencies this week

Sorry to say I expected a bit more that this very short comment...what was discussed, what did the Lord say?
    They say they will support independent cms...how ? what is the alternative proposed if any?
    A bit disappointed but maybe you can add your comment

All Change? Make sure you have your say | UKCMA

Post Thanks / Like

It doesn't say a lot does it.

If this was an organisation I was thinking would represent me I would not be very impressed. At the very least I would have expected some feedback on whatever was discussed at the meeting

Miffy xx
    Keep smiling!

3. Likes loocyloo, Richard liked this post
    Simona Guest

They say the bill had been passed by the House of Commons ...yes that it true we already knew that
    I also read Lord Storey was not aware that cms are inspected...or something similar?
    If that is so what can he do to help when inspections are the very core reason we do not want agencies because we want to retain them??

so that makes me wonder why he wanted a meeting in the first place...
    The pilots will start Sept 2013 until end of the year...those piloting wll be known and that means we will know which LAs are going to be setting up agencies...
    I am not sure at this stage how will they will be piloting 'support for cms' when there are no cms registered yet with them?

We also know that after that there will be a consultation on agencies and also one on the inspection framework

When that consultation comes out we will have to really get heard and lobby associations and other providers, as many as possible to respond to...this is when the rest of the workforce will show their true colours by responding against the proposals

The MAIN aim is to stop any cms running into the arms of an agency because they can talk themselves into it
    Joining an agency is DEREGULATION

We need to keep the debate in the open as much as possible and not just on Facebook
    We also need to keep asking the LAs so they do not consider running an agency.
    Yes they know us best and yes they can support us...but they should have done that all along not now because they scared for their jobs and cms will be paying them???
    They will not disappear but they are aware their funding is going to be cut

As Sarah has said many cms are apprehensive of inspections and that could be a reason for them to join an agency
    We need to tackle that too, reassure cms and give as much support as possible

UKCMA promise to support cms ..how?
    What I want to know is how many cms are their members? does anyone know?
    is anyone a member?

5. Likes Richard, Kiddleywinks, loocyloo liked this post
    Registered Childminder since
    Nov 02
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

I don't understand why you say it's a facebook campaign.
    The collation of reports, petition, blogs is web-based:

Http://Www.******************.com

Welcome to all.

Simona Guest

Sorry I did not mean it is all Facebook based...but a lot happens there and many cms are not on Facebook

What I mean is an open discussion will involve ALL in the sector...I am not sure how Facebook works but I feel it is 'closed' and only for those invited in the page or so I understand...so it is not possible to read because it is not a public forum...does that explain it?

Not sure which website you have posted but this campaign cannot be based in one website...this forum and my focus group also collate all the information, the more places the info is available the more cms are bound to be aware.

8. Likes Kiddleywinks liked this post
    Simona Guest

I would say I am very well informed ...or as informed as I can be and do so by looking at lots of sources of information

Take a look at my focus group and also the information I share here in this forum
    I am also aware at the source of information you mention below..it is one of many and all contribute to keeping cms updated!

Sorry it is not my forum and I cannot comment on that ...there is little missing here and I find it useful and would not say I am lacking from infor sharing in this forum
    Last edited by Simona; 29-06-2013 at 09:04 AM.

Nov 02
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

You really should all be talking to each other, communicating and sharing the information.

It is this ringfenced "well MY forum is the one that people should be using" attitude that is preventing all childminders from getting the message.

A lot of childminders ARE on Facebook and no-where else. That's why the campaign is also on there - so they can be reached. Nothing to do with it being closed.

11. Likes marie55 liked this post
    Dec 11
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good ;-)
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

We fight every working day to be taken seriously and not be viewed as glorified babysitters, so to be honest, I can't say I am all that surprised that Lord Storey had so little knowledge of our current involvement with Ofsted, not many politicians understand how childminders actually work including ET who is quite happily making decisions about things she has little knowledge or understanding of.

Highlighting this information that the Lords, and politicians, are not aware of should be a priority now, maybe focus on informing as many influential people as possible of 'a day in the life of a childminder'

We should all be working together on this, I for one am fed up of 'internal politics' from all directions when this is a subject so strongly felt about.

'The pilots will start Sept 2013 until end of the year...those piloting wll be known and that means we will know which LAs are going to be setting up agencies...
    I am not sure at this stage how will they will be piloting 'support for cms' when there are no cms registered yet with them?'

There are no cms that we are aware of - doesn't mean there aren't some that aren't signed up.... Maybe fearing the backlash if they reveal themselves which isn't right either

13. Likes christine e liked this post
    Nov 02
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

I'm sure you are well-informed. We need to ensure that EVERYONE is well informed.

If that involves opening up the campaign on Facebook and other social media sites, I really don't see why there should be criticism of that.

15. Likes Kiddleywinks liked this post
    Nov 02
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

Well said, Kidleywinks!!!

17. Likes Kiddleywinks liked this post
    Simona Guest

Facebook is not to everyone's taste...I am not there and do not intend to go as I have all the info I need in the open forums including this one.

As for talking to each other ...we certainly are and cms are free to use whichever medium they find most suitable to them
    Many cms are in every forum they can get into while others focus on a few...personal choice and it does not mean they lose on information

I can be accused of anything but not of 'not sharing' or 'not talking' to others...I do and do so with as many as I can reach...I am not omnipresent but do my best as do all other cms in their own way
    Every effort matters...however small

19. Likes Kiddleywinks, loocyloo liked this post
    Dec 11
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good ;-)
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Simona View Post
    Facebook is not to everyone's taste...I am not there and do not intend to go as I have all the info I need in the open forums including this one.

As for talking to each other ...we certainly are and cms are free to use whichever medium they find most suitable to them
    Many cms are in every forum they can get into while others focus on a few...personal choice and it does not mean they lose on information

I can be accused of anything but not of 'not sharing' or 'not talking' to others...I do and do so with as many as I can reach...I am not omnipresent but do my best as do all other cms in their own way
    Every effort matters...however small
    You definately could never be accused of not sharing (and it is very much appreciated)

21. Likes The Juggler, loocyloo liked this post
    apr 87
    Latest Inspection Grade
    outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

I belong to 6 Facebook childminder groups all are sharing petitions and blogs to raise awareness and keep people informed. I think a full feedback is on UKCMA but for members only, I could be wrong as I'm not a member. A lot of childminders who were not aware of what is going on re agencies etc have benefitted from being part of a SHARED childminding community.
    It's important we work together on this, we all want the same thing 'Better outcomes for all children and our business' A part of the blog which stood out for me is this statement:

And so moving forward and bearing in mind the suggestions made by Lord Storey – Can we come together as a sector? Can we work together on a action plan – each playing our own part but joined together by a action plan? Can people put aside the fact that they belong to or work for different organisations? Can people forget historical and personal reasons why have not worked together before? Can people say I believe this to be so important it does not matter what others say or think – I am not a sheep- I am an individual and so I am going to follow my own beliefs and principles and not wait for others to do something first?

23. Likes Kiddleywinks liked this post
    Dec 11
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good ;-)
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Sarah was trying to get the feedback from UKCMA yesterday

I would have hoped that as the views they received, about 100, were from members and non members alike, the feedback would be made accessible to all asap.

25. Likes sarah707, loocyloo liked this post
    Simona Guest

We can only try to inform ALL and make that information as available as possible through as many channels as possible

Many cms are NOT interested and eventually they will have to face whatever is coming and catch up on an awful lot

Kiddlywinks ...you are right, we do not know if some cms are already registered with the piloting agencies...if they are they would be guinea pigs maybe?...more reason to question the LAs
    Wish I could be part of their pilots (as long as I could keep my registration and inspection!!)

And you are right about internal politics...they do not matter ...what matters is talking to policy makers and those who will represent us on this issue

I have a couple of meetings up my sleeve next week...so keep tuned and read when I am able to share...I appreciate your support

The statement quoted below reflects exactly what we are doing...we have a plan, we are sharing, we are asking associations to represent us, we are supporting cms, we are making cms aware of agencies and...soon of the consultation
    And all done via different media...the more out there the more it will reach all cms.
    Last edited by Simona; 29-06-2013 at 09:31 AM.

27. Likes marie55, Kiddleywinks, mum26, loocyloo liked this post
    Nov 02
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

I'm not accusing you of anything - my God you can be so prickly!!

OK, so you don't go on Facebook. Nor do I much.

That's no reason not to keep the childminders who DO use it informed.

Post Thanks / Like

Question

Hey

Just arrived here to see this

Calm down everyone

Give me a second to read what's going on here

In the meantime everyone calm down here please

Anyone can contact myself or the other mods at any time

Angel xxx

apr 87
    Latest Inspection Grade
    outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

I'm calm Angel, like the Cadbury's chocolate bunny I'm 60 with very high bp I can't afford to be otherwise lol xx

31. Likes Kiddleywinks liked this post
    Dec 11
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good ;-)
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Agencies are an emotional subject

33. Likes N/A, christine e liked this post
    Simona Guest

Please can we stop saying: calm down...this is a discussion and that is what a forum is about...sharing and expressing opinions which must be respected

I never said cms should not go on Facebook...I said many do not use it and, in my personal view, not the best medium to use
    What I feel you are saying is that all should be on one website...well cms can go there if they want
    My choice of sharing and talking to others is not a 'prickly' matter..it is my right to do as I feel best

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast