Likes Likes:  5
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Registered Childminder since
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Default Independent Childminders and training

Childminders are telling us that they are worried how they will access training in the future if all Local Authority (LA) training is withdrawn... they are concerned that they will have to join a childminder agency or be forced to pay a high cost to attend required training courses.

First let’s look at what training childminders are expected to do...

Required training
    First aid – 12 hour paediatric – renewed every 3 years - which must be Local Authority approved at the moment**

Recommended training
    Safeguarding* – which much be Local Authority approved at the moment**

*I say safeguarding is ‘recommended’ because it is not stated as statutory training in the EYFS 2012. However, many Ofsted inspectors look for a commitment to attending safeguarding training and will action childminders who have not attended a Local Authority approved course.

**I say ‘at the moment’ because this will probably change if LAs no longer deliver training and if / when ‘More Great Childcare’ plan is law because the plan says (page 29), ‘We will remove constraints on childcare training: for example, the obligation to use only local authority approved first aid training. This will ensure there is competition in the market.’

Food hygiene training - some Local Authorities currently require childminders to attend food hygiene training, which is usually updated every 3 years.

Other training

Training enhances professional development and ensures childminders stay up-to-date and well informed. Ofsted inspectors currently look at a childminder’s commitment to attend or undertake training and make decisions based on what courses they have done since their last inspection.

This is only one of many judgements made during inspection - but lack of training might impact on the childminder’s inspection grade – and there are no indications in any documentation I have read to date that this will change.

Training wish list

You might find it helpful to write yourself a training wish list, including the courses you might like to attend and ideas for future CPD, for example...

I want to improve my CPD by attending the following training -
    • Behaviour management
    • Supporting PSED
    • Communication, language and literacy
    • Outside play
    • Infection control
    • Self assessment
    • Working with parents and other settings
    • Observations, assessment, planning
    • 2 year progress check

CPD training schedule

Plan your training schedule to make sure you do not miss any essential training courses –
    • First aid – date of last course -
    • Safeguarding – date of last course –
    • Food Hygiene – date of last course –

So how will independent childminders ensure they are well trained?

There are lots of different ways of ensuring continued professional development...

• Childminders might come together in their local area, book a trainer who offers a certificate at the end of the evening and a room and each pay a percentage of the total cost to fund the training session.
    • You might buy an e-book or other document or borrow a book about early years from your library or another childminder and use it to enhance your professional development.
    • Online CPD courses from membership of websites such as Childcare.co.uk can be a valuable addition to your training folder.
    • You might work with local nurseries, attending courses that they provide for their employees. Any strong links you forge with children’s key workers now will help you to access information about training availability in the future.
    • Open University – Open Learning courses cover a range of subjects and there are many free courses available.
    • Morton Michel insurance company offers a range of CPD training via Laser Learning.
    • Articles online will support your CPD - websites such as Education articles, resources and products are invaluable for sharing good practice advice.
    • Professional magazines such as Child Care (Practical Pre-school) and Nursery World will help you to stay up-to-date with news and information from around the early years sector.

When you have read the book, article or magazine think about how you might change your practice as a result and write up your thoughts in your SEF or other self evaluation document.

Providing evidence of training attended

Childminders find it helpful to have training and course attendance certificates to show children’s parents and Ofsted – this is one of the best ways to show evidence of continued professional development. Display them in a professional looking file along with evaluations.

Post-training evaluation example

Write a review of the training, courses, e-books etc you have read -

Course / training / e-book review

Course –

Date –

• What did the course / training / e-book cover?

• What did I learn from the course / training / e-book?

• How will this benefit my work and outcomes for children?

• How will I implement what I have learned?

If you are a gold member of Babysitters, Childminders, Nannies, Nanny Jobs, Private Tutors - Childcare.co.uk you will find a NEW (05.2013) series of CPD advice Information Guides which will support you with your future training needs.

Please add further training ideas to this thread

2. Likes primula, watgem liked this post
    jan 85
    Post Thanks / Like

Thank you Sarah, I've copied it to read better later, but lots of good advice there.
    Once read rather than skimmed, I will see if I can add anything.

Mar 12
    Post Thanks / Like

Thanks Sarah. That is a great post.

I have really good links with my DSs preschool. I'm on their 'approved' list of childcarers (actually I think I AM their list!) and they've even offered to help me with my level 3 if I need it. I've never thought of approaching them about training - I think I'll mention it to the owner next time I speak to her
    Life is all about how you handle plan B

Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

I found this earlier -

Business Skills (Health Check) Audit Tool Questionaire

It is an excellent CPD questionnaire with links to further information and support once completed.

I hope you find it useful

Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

More CPD - enhancing your knowledge of SEN through reading online publications -

http://www.senmagazine.co.uk/Newsletter/

Don't forget every hour you spend doing in-house CDP such as reading magazines and articles counts towards your total CPD - and can be used to show evidence in your SEF or own self evaluation

Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Kathy Brodie's blogs are always excellent for learning about new things and ways of working.

Here is one about sustained shared thinking and its value in the early years.

Sustained Shared Thinking – how important is it?

It's what we do every day with the children but many childminders don't realise how important it is to document these types of interactions

Simona Guest

I recommend you do the 4Children Business check...thanks for posting Sarah

It is absolutely vital you look at the future as an 'independent' cm and see what your forecast will be and how you intend to stay sustainable

9. Likes primula liked this post
    sept 90
    Post Thanks / Like

Came across this late, shame on me! Note to self 'check the sticky's'. Thanks for this Sarah it is going to be important to keep inform as we probably wont receive much support from L.A's soon.

11. Likes sarah707 liked this post
    May 13
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Sarah, I like your post-training evaluation questions. I've did a course on Saturday and was looking for a good way to summarise all that I learned.
    I have two additional questions:
    What further research do I need to do? eg. books/articles to read, recommended web-sites to look at
    What resources can I buy/find? (I am often inspired on courses to dig out a toy that I have put away or bring something on my wish list to the top of it and actually buy it). I need a written reminder to make sure I get the resources and use them!

13. Likes sarah707 liked this post
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by sing-low View Post
    Sarah, I like your post-training evaluation questions. I've did a course on Saturday and was looking for a good way to summarise all that I learned.
    I have two additional questions:
    What further research do I need to do? eg. books/articles to read, recommended web-sites to look at
    What resources can I buy/find? (I am often inspired on courses to dig out a toy that I have put away or bring something on my wish list to the top of it and actually buy it). I need a written reminder to make sure I get the resources and use them!
    Good ideas there thank you!

Post Thanks / Like

Don't forget that Childcare.co.uk gold members get access to 6 free online training courses from Educare worth over £150.

For more details see Free Online Training for Childcare Providers & Parents - Childcare.co.uk
    Childcare.co.uk
    The UK's largest childcare website
    www.childcare.co.uk

June 14
    Post Thanks / Like

Hi,

Is there a set list of statutory or recommended training courses you need to do post reg? Or does it vary council to council. I have been registered almost 4 months now but still haven't had a mindee - Got one starting in September. however I think there are certain courses i need to have done before 6 months? Does anyone know?

Becky

Post Thanks / Like

Is there a minimum amount of time you have to sign up for gold to get the training?

Oct 12
    Latest Inspection Grade
    GOOD! Hurrah
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

It's now 34 courses!

You can sign up for a week via the mobile app or a month through the website and do as many courses as you want but you must have finished the course before the gold membership runs out

Oct 12
    Latest Inspection Grade
    GOOD! Hurrah
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Rebeccadale View Post
    Hi,

Is there a set list of statutory or recommended training courses you need to do post reg? Or does it vary council to council. I have been registered almost 4 months now but still haven't had a mindee - Got one starting in September. however I think there are certain courses i need to have done before 6 months? Does anyone know?

Becky
    It does vary between LA's. You will need safeguarding (usually renewed every three years) and first aid (3 years as well). They may require you to do a food hygiene course as well, you will need to check.

These courses are good for CPD