Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0

Thread: Potty training

Registered Childminder since
    Nov 13
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Potty training

How do you deal with potty training ? And what are your ground rules for parents?
    I'm new to this and only been registered since November last year I'm currently having issues with a parent regarding
    Potty training personally I feel she is asking too much of me but want to be sure I am feeling the correct way before I say something too her.

Thanks. Katie

sep09
    Latest Inspection Grade
    outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

Hi Katie ,
    Its a minefield area and lots of us have been in a similar situation to you - and have gone on to write potty training policies after lots of help and advice from the forum!
    Im happy to share mine but obviously you will need to change it to suit your own setting and requirements ( and the style you've written your other policies in)- but it might help get you started.
    Attached Files Attached Files

may 05
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

I am just potty training the 3rd mindee this year, I recommend to the parents that they stay home for 4 days and start the process off at home with child just wearing pants, I then will stay home with mindee at my house on the 5th day and then start going out on short trips from then on.

None of my mindees had ever previously said whilst wearing nappies that they had wet or soiled it, but there is nothing like wet pants and socks to make them associate what they have done to cause it which you don't get with nappies or pull ups. I can honestly say that the children have only had a few accidents on my carpet and a couple whilst sat at the table, none in the car seat (I put them on a towel), am looking forward to getting carpet cleaned though!

All of my mindees have been boys of 30 months plus with reasonable language skills.