We don't want our son to cope, we want him to thrive..
Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  1
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Simona Guest

Default We don't want our son to cope, we want him to thrive..

Parents can now decide to delay entry to school for a year but what are the advantages and disadvantages?

Dr Richard House says for some parents early school is 'free childcare'...sad if that was the case
    I personally think reception at 5 would see less of the children labelled as 'failing' if they were allowed to continue in quality settings and be more prepared for school

what are your views?
    ‘We don’t want our son to cope; we want him to have the opportunity to thrive’, says a mum fighting to keep her summer-born child from starting school at four

Registered Childminder since
    may 05
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

A mum of a 4 year old I used to mind desperately tried to get schools to delay her son's school admission as he was an August birthday - they all said that yes he could start the following year and go straight into year 1 which wasn't what she wanted at all - she wanted him to start in reception the following year.

This child went to school aged just 4 - has always struggled, always felt a failure, now attends a nurture group in the afternoons at school to try to boost his confidence and self esteem - he has now been diagnosed dyslexic and is getting some support but it is all too late - he starts middle school next September. We have a 3 tier system which unfortunately won't suit this little boy either!

Sept 12
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

My daughter (5) is an August baby and started Reception at just turned four. She is the youngest in her class.
    We did worry about her because she looked like a little midget in the playground and everyone seemed so much older than her. She was actually looking up when speaking to kids in her class lol!
    Also in her class there are 5 kids born in July and August, then a huge gap and the rest are born September to Feb (with a few in the middle) so the class is classed as an 'older class' so typically she's in the younger group. They do support these 5 excellently as they are aware they are almost a whole year younger than the majority of their class
    My daughter LOVES school, always has done. She went to the schools nursery at just 3 years old, mornings only, and adored it. She wanted to stay for the whole day. She was fully ready for school, but I do understand that she may not be the norm.
    She is in the 2nd to top reading group and top maths group, both of which me and her dad are SO proud of!
    Summer born children have been going to school at 4 since forever and no harm has come of it, my best friend at school was a July baby and I'm October so there's almost a year between us but I've never noticed it, and neither has she ever complained about it. It's not a new thing, kids going to school at this age and its worked well so far, I don't know of anyone who's been 'damaged' by starting school at four so I say leave it as it is!x
    Kelly xx

july05
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Again its the individual child that matters.

My youngest dd is a summer baby but is now flying and is top at most things in her class.

My oldest boy might have benefitted from a delayed start.

No one can say summer children be should start later because they may benefit because its different for each child
    When someone tells you nothing is impossible, tell them to go slam a revolving door

Nov 05
    Post Thanks / Like

I feel a lot of pressure is put on children who start earlier with the one intake...
    It can have such a detrimental effect on the child if they feel they are not doing as well as others or just not understanding what is asked of them.
    Children are individual little lives who deserve to be put into a situation which gives them the opportunity to learn, develop and explore at their own pace - this can't be rushed.
    My littlest DS has started school September although should have started January under the old system...luckily he is doing well, but if I felt he wasn't ready I would have delayed his start...
    The fact that some parents view the starting early as a bonus...as free childcare...saddens me.

There I'm done...thanks Simona
    Sarah, Bumble Beez x x

6. Likes N/A liked this post
    Mar 08
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

There is so much evidence these days that's states its much better for the child to start school later. I read a report recently that says studies have been shown, that even the brightest of children should be held back! I have worked with very bright children aged 4,5 ,6 saw them all way through their school years, they don't always end up being the brightest at 18. Some dropped out of school at 16. I am so glad my daughter was born in October and will be one of the oldest when she starts next year. If I had my way it would be 6/7. She's a bright cookie too, nothing to do with her ability. I have a friend who's child was 4 in August, she will be going next year and in Reception, not year 1. Mum is so happy!!

Post Thanks / Like

I'm an august baby and I'm not sure it's affected me but if one of my children was born in august I would want them to be delayed if I think they needed it.

Post Thanks / Like

It's really difficult and I'm still not sure what I think of it all, my little boy started reception at the grand old age of 4 and 5 days. He coped fine to be fair and I didn't give him enough credit, he's now moved into year one, again I've been anxious big change, not so play based as before, again he's doing well though, the government or whoever sets these things say they want him to be a 1c by Christmas, school had him pegged down to achieve this at the end of academic year as he is the youngest in class however he's achieving the 1c status now not that I have a clue what It all means, I do no extra learning at home besides his homework and obviously resources are probably more readily available for him to potter with than in some homes. So conclusion he's doing well defying the odds, but I still feel uneasy with it all, worried he's going to get to a point where he starts falling behind his peers. I honestly don't know what the answer is, maybe keeping year 1 more play based, and definitely more outdoor learning.
    Last edited by zippy; 11-10-2013 at 07:01 PM.

Dec 10
    Post Thanks / Like

The title of this thread really struck a cord with me as my son who is now 7 is a july born baby. He started school in the january and was fine in reception. When he got into year 1 he really struggled, the school was fab, still lots of play based learning but he had no interest in learning to read or write, he was unable to sit and 'do' phonics, didnt want to write his name even, he wanted to play superheroes all day. He did not thrive!
    I dont think delaying school for him would have made a jot of difference as him going straight into year 1 would have been worse for him as more formal learning is expected then and he would have been even less prepared for it.I dont think it is about delaying children going to school, I think it is about the 'education system' failing a lot of children from a very early age! I never ever expected my child to be a 1c after leaving reception so why should the school? Who really cares what a 1c is? He would have been considered as failing until year 2 when he managed to scrap a 2b for his Sats.
    Luckily I was a teacher before becoming a childminder so I understand that his development is 'normal' but that hasnt helped him enjoy school.

He started junior school in september and is now 'flying' he is ready and has gone up 2 sub-levels in his writing in 4 weeks which is fab for him as he now enjoys writing, I cant stop him writing books about his favourite things