Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Registered Childminder since
    june 05
    Post Thanks / Like

Default send nappys home?

Do any of you send nappys home like playgroups do? Our council are changing our bins. Household waste becoming a small bin lots more recycling bins. I have been thinking if I am putting a weeks worth of nappies x4 into my bin there will be no room for our own rubbish. So I am thinking is this an option?

Sept 09
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jellytot View Post
    Do any of you send nappys home like playgroups do? Our council are changing our bins. Household waste becoming a small bin lots more recycling bins. I have been thinking if I am putting a weeks worth of nappies x4 into my bin there will be no room for our own rubbish. So I am thinking is this an option?
    Our council started this at the beginning of April. I told all parents ages ago that as of April I would be sending nappies home as I had 3 children in nappies and hence that makes a LOT of rubbish every day. However, 2 of those children came back after easter having been potty trained so it isn't an issue any more, but yes, I was going to do just what you said

xxxx

Mar 12
    Latest Inspection Grade
    OUTSTANDING
    Post Thanks / Like

Hi I dont send nappies home but, if our council started this I would have to consider it. x
    If all else fails......add glitter!

Dec 08
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

If you walk to school take them under the buggy and put in local council bins :-)
    Paula

mar 10
    Latest Inspection Grade
    GOOD
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by singlewiththree View Post
    If you walk to school take them under the buggy and put in local council bins :-)
    Id be tempted to do this too.

May 12
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

What a great idea! I pass two bins on my walk to school, my bin is full enough with DD nappies let alone when I'm working if I have another one or two in nappies.

dec 08
    Post Thanks / Like

Here in Wiltshire if you ring the council and tell them your a cm they give you a bigger bin for free and it's collected like all the other general waste. It's the same if you have 3 or more children of your own.
    I don't have a bigger bin myself bug I know cm who do. X

Sept 09
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by nikki thomson View Post
    Here in Wiltshire if you ring the council and tell them your a cm they give you a bigger bin for free and it's collected like all the other general waste. It's the same if you have 3 or more children of your own.
    I don't have a bigger bin myself bug I know cm who do. X
    If we do that here they class us as a business and we then have to pay for business waste collection . They will give you more bags if you have more than 2 children of your own though.

xxx

Aug 94
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

I have never had a pre school give me los nappies to take home but then I have never had a lo in nappies go to pre school and I feel they should not go until they are out of nappies anyway but that is a whole separate thread.

We have had fortnightly collections for a couple of years now and I have had 3 or four every day in nappies and it really hasn't been a problem. With the largest number of nappies it doesn't even take up a 1/3 of the bin and we have smaller than normal bins. In a usual 2 weeks we fill one pedal bin bag with rubbish, if we have done some clearing out then two bags which all fit in the bin fine.

This happens because most of our rubbish is recycled and doesn't go in the bin.

I can't see the problem and I wouldn't dream of stacking up all the nappies through the day for the parents especially in hot weather. Nasty Unhygenic!

July 11
    Latest Inspection Grade
    GOOD
    Post Thanks / Like

In Telford and Wrekin one of my lovely neighbours stole our half bin when we moved away for work three yrs ago and when i recently rang the the council to see about getting a replacement was told someone from the council would be 'monitoring' our bins for the next month to see if we were recycling properly and wotnot. After that we could pay £25 for an extra bin!

Think I could put it through the books?

Latest Inspection Grade
    GOOD
    Post Thanks / Like

This is what I do - especially in the summer months when it's hot, smelly and we don't get emptied for a fortnight! Yuk!

Feb 04
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good Apr 15
    Post Thanks / Like

I used to do this when I had lo in nappies there is a dog bin every 5 minutes around here!

Aug 10
    Post Thanks / Like

I wouldn't do it. Definitely not the smelly ones as then they'd be hanging around my house all day!!

I think playgroups do it because they don't have bin collections at all, so I can understand having to take them home from playgroups.

I'd also check with your environmental health dept and Ofsted if this is allowed, because I'm pretty sure I've been told I have to put all nappies straight into the outside bin for health and safety reasons.

june 05
    Post Thanks / Like

hmm hadnt really thought it through especially summer and yukky nappys. Will give it a go when swap over happens and see how it goes, may not be as bad as I think and maybe use street bins too as said x

oct 08
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

i put my plastic nappy bin outside my front door in the day and at the end of each day it goes in main bin , but i have been known to take them with me on school run and dump them in rubbish bins on way :P.. always take nappy outside rain hail or snow long story wont get in to it all ill say is brother in law made me ill once with a nappy in inside bin.
    Dust its Fairy Dust

Post Thanks / Like

I just hope our LA doesn't switch to smaller bins, I wouldn't want bags of dirty nappies hanging round ready to send home at the end of the day - can't think parents would be too impressed either!

Miffy xx
    Keep smiling!

Sept 09
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

We are given 1 plastic bag a week to use. It's smaller than the black sacks you can buy from the shops and not very strong. We recycle everything we can and use 4 big plastic boxes for this every week but I still can't fit all our other rubbish in 1 sack. When I had 3 LO's in nappies that was on average 12 nappies per day, 60 per week. There is no way I can fit 60 nappies plus our normal household waste into 1 sack. It doesn't help that I also have 4 rabbits to clean out every other day (all that old straw / sawdust) plus 2 cats using a litter tray plus the dog poo. Nasty stuff all of it but what else can I do with it other than bag it all up and put it in the sack. Thank goodness 2 of my parents potty trained their children at the end of last month otherwise I would have bagged the nappies as they were used, put them in a plastic bin outside in named plastic bags and sent them home. I would not and never have kept a soiled nappy in my inside bin, yuck

xxxx

Aug 94
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

I'm sorry to be so grumpy but how unprofessional is that. Yuck

Aug 94
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by buzzy bee View Post
    I wouldn't do it. Definitely not the smelly ones as then they'd be hanging around my house all day!!

I think playgroups do it because they don't have bin collections at all, so I can understand having to take them home from playgroups.

I'd also check with your environmental health dept and Ofsted if this is allowed, because I'm pretty sure I've been told I have to put all nappies straight into the outside bin for health and safety reasons.
    Our pre school has a bin. Toddler groups don't though and so I double bag and take them home no problem.

Aug 94
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jellytot View Post
    hmm hadnt really thought it through especially summer and yukky nappys. Will give it a go when swap over happens and see how it goes, may not be as bad as I think and maybe use street bins too as said x
    Goodness. Again I have never had a problem. My bins may get a bit more smelly in the summer but they are well away from the house and have never caused a problem. I don't know a cm around here who ever has had a problem with space or smell.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast