Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Registered Childminder since
    Feb 10
    Latest Inspection Grade
    GOOD
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Sun cream question

I remember reading something a few years ago about how you shouldn't use sun cream after 12 months of it being opened, because it won't work as well- so a factor 50 won't actually be factor 50 if it's an old bottle. Not sure if that advise still stands, we all know how things change! Do you buy a new bottle every year? Or do you wait until a bottle is empty before replacing it, even if that takes a few years?

I've always bought DS a new bottle each year, but don't bother for myself.

Sept 09
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

I think the bottles usually have a little symbol on them with a number next to it which tells you how long it is ok for after being opened. Have a look and see if it says 12 or 24 (months)

xxxx

Dec 99
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

I check the back of the bottle and use the info there as my guide.

When I receive a suncream from a parent I quiz them when it was bought/first opened and mark this info on the bottle with a marker pen.

Many years ago I minded a very fair skinned blonde toddler.. After having him here on a sunny day, I received a call from his parents that evening furious that he has been sunburnt. I was really upset as I had smothered him with the cream they provided, he'd worn a hat and t-shirt and he had only been out a short while, mainly in the shade. My son who was the same age had no pinkness at all. The next day they rang again and apologised - the cream they had given me was over 2 years old and they had discovered it had made his skin more photosensitive rather than protecting it.

I don't take any chances anymore.

BucksCM Guest

Quote Originally Posted by AliceK View Post
    I think the bottles usually have a little symbol on them with a number next to it which tells you how long it is ok for after being opened. Have a look and see if it says 12 or 24 (months)

xxxx
    LOL! Beat me to it!
    Just looked at my one and the open lidded symbol has a 12 next to it...so yes, use within 12 months of opening.

I tend to buy and charge the suncream to the business, that way I know i've got it and parents don't have to keep remembering to put it in. If they need me to use a different one I ask them to please provide me with one...that I keep at mine.

Feb 10
    Latest Inspection Grade
    GOOD
    Post Thanks / Like

Many years ago I minded a very fair skinned blonde toddler.. After having him here on a sunny day, I received a call from his parents that evening furious that he has been sunburnt. I was really upset as I had smothered him with the cream they provided, he'd worn a hat and t-shirt and he had only been out a short while, mainly in the shade. My son who was the same age had no pinkness at all. The next day they rang again and apologised - the cream they had given me was over 2 years old and they had discovered it had made his skin more photosensitive rather than protecting it.
    Eek how scary!

My bottles all say 12 months.

sept 07
    Latest Inspection Grade
    GOOD
    Post Thanks / Like

I provide sucream myself - unless there is an allergy,in which case parents are to provide a new unopened tube. I then put a sticker on it stating the date it was opened and the date one year on to discard. Parents own creams are handed back to them.

Nov 94
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

I buy fresh cream at the start of the warm weather every year, and chuck it at the end. I wouldn't like to imagine what nasties could be lurking in a half used bottle 2 years down the line.

FEB09
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by singingcactus View Post
    I buy fresh cream at the start of the warm weather every year, and chuck it at the end. I wouldn't like to imagine what nasties could be lurking in a half used bottle 2 years down the line.
    Same here, there's no point storing a half used tube over the winter.
    Sandy
    xx

Mar 11
    Post Thanks / Like

I have tested this many times over the years, and the protection does decrease slightly over 2 or 3 years, but I reckon comparable to a factor 50 being more like factor 30, so shouldn't be bad enough to cause serious damage. Not something to experiment on the kids with though!