Water - is there such a thing as too much?
Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    VINASOL Guest

Default Water - is there such a thing as too much?

Well, as the title says really - would you be concerned if your mindee drank lots of water?

Mindee (just turned 24m) is always drinking water. This morning already she's had two bottles (330ml each) and says 'juice' all the time.

I first said to mum it's a good thing to drink lots of water, but now I'm a little wconcerned...what do you think?

Registered Childminder since
    Nov 04
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

if she has a cold or somethign she may be dehydrated. If you are concerned though it might be worth pointing mum to the HV.
    if you do what you've always done, you'll get what you've always got

VINASOL Guest

No she hasn't a cold; she's like that at home...continually drinks. She is quite big for her age -- she has a healthy diet and is a big eater too.

Jan 11
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

My son who is 24 months is a big drinker and I had never thought anything of it. I would be concerned if it was anything other than water and watered down fruit juices x x

Sept 06
    Post Thanks / Like

It could be a sign of diabetes. I would note down how much lo is drinking and then consult with mum.

http://www.diabetes.org.uk/Guide-to-..._and_symptoms/

Pipsqueak Guest

yes you can actually 'drown' yourself by drinking too much

sounds like habit... she says juice she gets water given to her

Aug 07
    Post Thanks / Like

My friend once got drunk by drinking too much water, she was really ill with it. But I also know that drinking lots of water can be a sign of diabetes. I would just monitor it and if still concerned you need to chat to mum.

may 07
    Latest Inspection Grade
    GOOD
    Post Thanks / Like

I used to look after two sisters who would keep running back an forth to the table for more water, it was like a habbit more than anything, they would have a drink, go play then 2mins later run back to the table giggling , take two more sips then repeat the process,, I stopped it by only having drinks out at snack and lunch times and if they wanted it in between then they had to ask and sit at the table nicley with a proper cup, they soon got fed up with sitting still and the game stopped, but i have heard of people becoming very ill from drinking too much water.

Dec 06
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

I have a mindee who was like this when she first started (June 2011) but it has definately reduced in her time here... It is now obviously winter so she's probably not so dehydrated and also I leave the kids beakers out so they can access as they choose - I have a feeling that at home she was saying juice and getting given it then guzzling as opposed to self selection/regulation.

I kept track for a month or two... You should do the same to have concrete evidence before potentially scaring mum for no reason xx

oct 02
    Latest Inspection Grade
    outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

i had a mindee, who when he started with me (aged just 2) would just drink & drink all day long., resulting in 5/6 completely sodden/leaking nappies a day

he was an awful eater too ....

so i reduced his drinks ( its there, but he has to ask ) and just has a little bit ( at a time ) in an open cup at meal/snack times. he doesn't drink so much now and eats better. i think it was just habit.

jumpinjen Guest

Both my own children drank lots of drinks every day until they were about three and a half - they would have maybe 1200mls every day or slightly more - they did wee loads but they were thirsty - it tailed off as they got older, Jen x

Post Thanks / Like

It may be habit but it can also be health related - my own daughter started to drink gallons as a toddler - and wee for England! after urine dipsticks to test for diabetes were clear and still didnt resolve. Drinking 8 bottles of water during the night - 2 or 3 wet nappies, soaking through the bed sheets twice a night etc, we got referred to a paediatrician and they tested her in hospital for a very rare type of diabetes - by restricting her water and testing urine every 30 mins or whenever she did one at the path lab, just to check she had the right hormone to control the amount of water her body was excreting.
    Anyway all was clear, no problem was found and we continued getting up all night every night for years ......until they removed her massive whopping infected tonsils - hey presto - she slept all night ever since, still drinks a lot in the day but not to the ridiculous level she was before.

onceinabluemoon Guest

Quote Originally Posted by VINASOL View Post
    Well, as the title says really - would you be concerned if your mindee drank lots of water?

Mindee (just turned 24m) is always drinking water. This morning already she's had two bottles (330ml each) and says 'juice' all the time.

I first said to mum it's a good thing to drink lots of water, but now I'm a little wconcerned...what do you think?
    Ok please don't shoot me but I think it could be the bottles she is after not the contents. Bottles give a security and soothing aspect. Try switching her to a cup and see how that works out. (I had a mindee who would drink for England when she was given bottles or those cups that are really bottles in disguise (the ones with the clear silicone lids that squish up just the same as a teat does). Once she was changed to a normal sippy cup her drinking levels were normal.

Other than that, yes drinking too much water can be bad for you and can be signs of ill health.

Sept 03
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by onceinabluemoon View Post
    Ok please don't shoot me but I think it could be the bottles she is after not the contents. Bottles give a security and soothing aspect. Try switching her to a cup and see how that works out. (I had a mindee who would drink for England when she was given bottles or those cups that are really bottles in disguise (the ones with the clear silicone lids that squish up just the same as a teat does). Once she was changed to a normal sippy cup her drinking levels were normal.

Other than that, yes drinking too much water can be bad for you and can be signs of ill health.
    I was just going to suggest this. If she has a baby bottle she may just like the sucking aspect, I would switch to a sippy cup with a hard top and see how it goes from there.

Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by onceinabluemoon View Post

I agree with that. Sometimes children just like to be sucking something. I would try switching to a cup & see how that goes.

sept 07
    Latest Inspection Grade
    GOOD
    Post Thanks / Like

I agree to get rid of the bottles. Use a sippy cup like a Tommee Tippee instead.

Too much water can dilute the body salts and electrolytes and can be extremely dangerous.

Make the bottle change first - then monitor the amount she drinks to see if that has had any impact. If not it would be worth recording how much she is drinking in a 24 hour period and for the parents to seek advice from their HV.

may 11
    Post Thanks / Like

might be worth a trip to the doctors, this sounds like my sister when she was little my mum took her to the doctors and found out she was Diabetic.