Thinking of CMing, your advice please!
Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Registered Childminder since
    pre-reg
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Thinking of CMing, your advice please!

Hi there
    I am a new member and I have been thinking about being a childminder for ages. Last year I went to an introductory session and nearly went ahead, but had a family bereavement and didn't feel up to it at the time.
    Now I have started thinking again and I'm wondering how do-able it is. Is it really difficult when you have your own children? I have 3. My eldest has ADHD and is a handful, although he is nearly 12 and is at school all day and then I'm sure would be happy to keep out of the way in his room if I had other kids here. Is this fair?
    I have an 8 year old daughter who I'm sure would be fine about it - and a nearly 2 year old. I am wondering how hard it would be to toilet train my own toddler etc while looking after other peoples kids.
    I am also thinking school holidays would be too full on with my 3, and I wouldn't want to do much childminding then, maybe 1 or 2 days - is this possible?
    I'm sorry for the long mixed post, I know I have asked a lot, but I'd be grateful for any replies especially from anyone with about 3 kids with their own (many) needs and how you have managed
    Thanks for reading x

Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

I have always had my own 2 children around while childminding and it's been fine! you just kind of fit things in...

It can be challenging at times but usually it enhances their experiences and when I plan for the little ones mine are involved too.

I'm not sure about less work in holiday time though. It would depend on the parents looking for care.

Good luck with it all!

VINASOL Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Mummy Pig View Post
    Hi there
    I am a new member and I have been thinking about being a childminder for ages. Last year I went to an introductory session and nearly went ahead, but had a family bereavement and didn't feel up to it at the time.
    Now I have started thinking again and I'm wondering how do-able it is. Is it really difficult when you have your own children? I have 3. My eldest has ADHD and is a handful, although he is nearly 12 and is at school all day and then I'm sure would be happy to keep out of the way in his room if I had other kids here. Is this fair?
    I have an 8 year old daughter who I'm sure would be fine about it - and a nearly 2 year old. I am wondering how hard it would be to toilet train my own toddler etc while looking after other peoples kids.
    I am also thinking school holidays would be too full on with my 3, and I wouldn't want to do much childminding then, maybe 1 or 2 days - is this possible?
    I'm sorry for the long mixed post, I know I have asked a lot, but I'd be grateful for any replies especially from anyone with about 3 kids with their own (many) needs and how you have managed
    Thanks for reading x
    Up until very recently, *****minded term-time only. You need to think about finances as I'm not sure what other minders do/did but I never charged retainer through holidays or any kind of fee. So it was usual rates paid per term time. At the time it worked for me.

It can take some time before you're completely registered so you may well find that your lo will be potty trained before you start work.

My only bit of advice is that if you have enquiries from children in your DDs class/children your DD knows, ask her opinion first: does she like them? would she mind them coming? I had this with my son at the time and he told me a big fat NO!! But I went ahead anyway....BIG mistake.

I'm a new CM, and I have my good and my bad days but to see my mindees as well as my own DD (5) play and interact with the little ones and shine is well worth it.

Re your son: I don't have any experience with his condition, but I'd be inclined to try to involve him, rather than seperating him...yes the bedroom is an escape but only if he wants it...hths

Good luck )

Mar 09
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

Hi

I have 4 kids, the oldest is 13 and has aspergers. He has no problem with me minding but I do keep their bedrooms just for them so they can escape if they want. He actually gets on ith the little ones really well and enjoys having them around. I make sure that special toys are out of the way as I didnt want my kids to feel they had to share everything.

I work term time only and dont charge for holidays. I have all teachers kids so it has worked out really well and I have as many kids as I want, it can take a while to build up business if you have restricted hours but that can also be the case if you work all hours so who knows. Anyway I have a variation one day a week to allow me to have 4 under 5s so I am doing something right.

When I first started minding I worked 5 days until 4.30 and that was quite tiring and did mean it was hard to do anything with my own children after school. I now only do 3 days which is perfect for us. Its just finding a balance that works for you, but I would talk with your children and ask them how they would feel. Plenty of cms dont work 5 full days and dont struggle to find mindees.

I would think about potty training, I have found with all my kids that if they are ready they can be trained in a weekend. There are plenty of stories on here of problems with potty training mindees, I would think about what your policy will be and apply it to your own child too, if you are going to tell parents you cant spend all your time cleaning up accidents while training another child you cant really do it for your own. But if you dont work holidays then you have plenty of time just you and your family or as Vinasol said he might be sorted by then.

The downside (as I have discovered this week!) of having your own children is if they are ill. I have had to close this week as my youngest is unwell and i feel terrible but luckily parents have understood.

My kids just get on and do whatever as though the mindees are part of the family, it has been really good for us

pre-reg
    Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for your replies, it all sounds quite positive and do-able
    I guess I'll never know until I try, I could always give it a go.
    Thanks x

Sept 03
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

You don't have to do before and after school work but if it suits you could JUST do before and after school. The joy of being self-employed is that you get to choose what suits you and your family. I think the temptation when we first start out is often to take on anything and everything and then it can get too much so just have a think about what will work for you. My current focus is on pre-schoolers, I only have one after schooler 2 days a week and consequently don't have a houseful in the holidays either, this suits me at the moment with the ages of my own children but I'm sure will change in the future.

July07
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

My dd was 5 and ds was 8 when i started. I made the mistake of taking two 8yr old twins from his class afterschool and that was a big mistake so definitly ask your children first about any children they know especially your ds who may need his own space after school to be himself etc

It can be hard at first with the adjustments needed. Your own children having to share you but it soon comes together.
    My own two children are now 10 and 13 and I find it easier now they are older but a lot of childminders have small children which is why thye go into childminding.
    My dd can still be a bit of a pain with wanting my attention but its managable

Maybe just do daytime children and not older ones or the other way round and see how it goes.
    Its worth a try and welcome to the madhouse Mummy Pig
    Last edited by JCrakers; 20-03-2012 at 11:24 AM. Reason: typo's all over the place