Going to the toilet...
Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Results 1 to 13 of 13
  1. #1
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Posts
    97
    Registered Childminder since
    May 12
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Going to the toilet...

    This is such a silly question

    What do you do when you need to go to the toilet?
    I know we are supposed to be able to see/hear the children at all times, I live in a flat so my bathroom is next to my living area and with my own children I will happily go to the toilet and leave them to play as I know my 18 month old will be ok for a few minutes and my 6 year old will keep an eye on her for me (he is so mature and helpful for 6 ♥). But what about with minded children? Should I leave the door ajar to be sure I can hear them? Should I take them with me? I know it will depend a lot on age/ability of the children in question but wanted to ask before I start working.

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    yarm
    Posts
    428
    Registered Childminder since
    may10
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by *Katrina* View Post
    This is such a silly question

    What do you do when you need to go to the toilet?
    I know we are supposed to be able to see/hear the children at all times, I live in a flat so my bathroom is next to my living area and with my own children I will happily go to the toilet and leave them to play as I know my 18 month old will be ok for a few minutes and my 6 year old will keep an eye on her for me (he is so mature and helpful for 6 ♥). But what about with minded children? Should I leave the door ajar to be sure I can hear them? Should I take them with me? I know it will depend a lot on age/ability of the children in question but wanted to ask before I start working.
    Hi hun, this was a question i asked when i started minding.... I just make sure there is no risks close the baby gate to the playroom tell the children where im going and just go lol i take my dog with me to the toilet so i know the children wont harrass him when im not there

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Posts
    2,949
    Registered Childminder since
    1998
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    I don't take them to the toilet with me (I don't think its appropriate - especially at that time of the month iyswim) I make sure they are happily playing and just nip out! I have a downstairs toilet so leave the door open so they can talk to me and I can hear what they are up to! In my opinion they are safer in the dining room where it is child proofed (as much as it can be) than wandering round my utility room as there isn't room for us all in my tiny bathroom!!

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Posts
    1,292
    Registered Childminder since
    mar09
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    i put the baby in the playpen, the toddler goes at bottom of the stairs and check i go toilet LOL my bathroom is at top of the stair and i talk to her.

    for longer business i tend to try to wait nap time

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    North Notts
    Posts
    2,735
    Registered Childminder since
    Nov 90
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    1

    Default

    Same as Carolyn but the little ones 2- 3 tend to follow me and stand by the door but when older children are present I do close the door think it would be most inappropriate to have the door open when 11 year old boys present

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    By the sea
    Posts
    8,830
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Do the same as you would with your own children. You get to know which children you can safely leave and which ones you can't.

    I keep a basic buggy indoors and can pop a child in there if I need to. Others I just tell I'm going up to the toilet and tell them to play nicely while I'm gone!

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Posts
    292
    Registered Childminder since
    2003
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Mouse View Post
    Do the same as you would with your own children. You get to know which children you can safely leave and which ones you can't.

    I keep a basic buggy indoors and can pop a child in there if I need to. Others I just tell I'm going up to the toilet and tell them to play nicely while I'm gone!
    Totally agree with mouse. It depends on your children. If they are playing happily and you know they are OK, go for goodness sake. But I know I have one little girl who can get "overenthusiastic" with the smaller ones and pull them around, so I take the little one with me.

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Surrey
    Posts
    12,122
    Registered Childminder since
    Nov 04
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    i have a loo by my back door. I have bug posters all over the walls just outside. so toddlers are left playing happily (front door is chained) or can come into kitchen. i take baby and pop her on the floor looking at the bugs and talk to her whilst I'm in the loo
    if you do what you've always done, you'll get what you've always got

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Posts
    4,564
    Registered Childminder since
    Nov 94
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Mouse View Post
    Do the same as you would with your own children. You get to know which children you can safely leave and which ones you can't.

    I keep a basic buggy indoors and can pop a child in there if I need to. Others I just tell I'm going up to the toilet and tell them to play nicely while I'm gone!
    Me too. The 1 yr old usually follows me but by the time she gets to me at the downstairs loo I am finished
    Happy to be back with the Greenies

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Cambridgeshire
    Posts
    1,761
    Registered Childminder since
    1999
    Latest Inspection Grade
    GOOD
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    I always get followed by all of them, they wait outside the door asking me questions - I haven't been to the loo all by myself for years!!

  11. #11
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Surrey
    Posts
    12,122
    Registered Childminder since
    Nov 04
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by funemnx View Post
    I always get followed by all of them, they wait outside the door asking me questions - I haven't been to the loo all by myself for years!!
    so who follows you to the loo when you are NOT working
    if you do what you've always done, you'll get what you've always got

  12. #12
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Cambridgeshire
    Posts
    1,761
    Registered Childminder since
    1999
    Latest Inspection Grade
    GOOD
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by The Juggler View Post
    so who follows you to the loo when you are NOT working


    But I'm always working - we all are aren't we? According to our lovely lo's parents!


  13. #13
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Posts
    97
    Registered Childminder since
    May 12
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Thanks everyone, I've had a bit of a laugh reading the replies

 

 

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Quick Links and Advertisements

Important Information Links
Some Useful Quick Links
Advertisements

 

You can also find us on:
Going to the toilet... Going to the toilet... Going to the toilet...

We use cookies to make this site as useful as possible. They are small text files placed in your browser to track usage of our site but they don’t tell us who you are.
By continuing to use this site you are consenting to cookies being placed on your computer. Find out more here: Cookies in Use

Childminding Help and the Childminding Forum are part of Childcare.co.uk