what to buy?
Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: what to buy?

Post Thanks / Like

Default what to buy?

When my parent pays me next week i am going shopping to buy some things for my mindee (aged 2.5).

I'm going to get some duplo for definate but am undecided on other things. He gets bored easily and only likes to play on his nintendo ds which i have now locked in the porch lol. He has a vtech computer too which he brings with him everyday!

Can anybody reccomend anything else that is good for this age group? It's difficult because he has nobody to play with bless him.

Any help would be great.

Thanks x

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: what to buy?

a 2 year can play a ds

Registered Childminder since
    Aug2007
    Latest Inspection Grade
    OUTSTANDING
    Post Thanks / Like

How about some small world play.

Early learning centre Happyland/HappyStreet (can't remember what they call it these days) is very good. You can add bits to it as you go along to build up a bigger collection.
    Lucy

Dec 07
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

gosh i wish my son could play one of those things lol

2yr olds like also pots an pans etc sorry im not good at this..
    Mum of 1 step mum of 3 Loving life.

Dec 07
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

Wooden train set, my 2 year old mindees love that! Toy cars and road map, play dough, shape sorter, dolls house, T my 2 year old boy mindee loves the dolls house! Tea set, great for outdoors with water!

May 05
    Post Thanks / Like

Toy cars and a garage - can't go far wrong with those (well not in m house anyway!!)

Also what about Duplo or Sticklebricks or something like that. I've also got something called Popping Pets which I don't think is made any more but I got mine off Ebay. A friend had it and my own two boys loved it when they were small and when I started minding it was one of the first things I wanted. It's kind of flexible tubey things with animal heads and hands etc that they can make models with.

HTH

Sue x

Latest Inspection Grade
    GOOD :)
    Post Thanks / Like

I'd go with things like train sets & cars - car mat etc

Great for there co-ordination
    Katickles

30 Oct
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Eagles4ever View Post
    Toy cars and a garage - can't go far wrong with those (well not in m house anyway!!)

Also what about Duplo or Sticklebricks or something like that. I've also got something called Popping Pets which I don't think is made any more but I got mine off Ebay. A friend had it and my own two boys loved it when they were small and when I started minding it was one of the first things I wanted. It's kind of flexible tubey things with animal heads and hands etc that they can make models with.

HTH

Sue x
    think they're called popoids now. I've only seen them in educational brochures like Hope.

Can't believe a 2.5 yr old plays on a DS, and i'm sorry but shame on his parents for letting him.

mine like Garage/cars, bob the builder toys, any tractors/trailers, Mr. Potato Head, duplo and happytown/little people(fisher price).

May 01
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

Ive got Poppin' Dinosaurs - bought them in ELC years ago when Jamie was about 3. They are well used but I have never seen them since to add to them
    Annie x

oct 07
    Latest Inspection Grade
    GOOD
    Post Thanks / Like

LITTLE PEOPLE. All the children i have love them. They do laods of sets at loads of different prices. |Even my 7yr olds love playin with them. They are also good for younger ones as they are very strong. We haqve the garage cars the school the bus the stable and hopin to get more soon
    hey....who said that......show ur self......i no u r there.......I CAN HEAR U!!!!!!

Nov 07
    Post Thanks / Like

My ds is just 2 and he loves books, jigsaws, popoids (bit expensive) play food, pots and pans, shopping trolley, bob builder vehicle set, garage and cars, playdough, painting, duplo, train track and trains (can be bougt really cheaply at woolies, tesco or toys r us), balls and bean bags for the garden, sand and water table, dolls house, happy street people and track

Think that's enough! Very uncomfortable with a 2 1/2 year old playing on a ds all the time. I am all for a bit of playing together on a pc but a ds is not something I would give him

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by manjay View Post
    My ds is just 2 and he loves books, jigsaws, popoids (bit expensive) play food, pots and pans, shopping trolley, bob builder vehicle set, garage and cars, playdough, painting, duplo, train track and trains (can be bougt really cheaply at woolies, tesco or toys r us), balls and bean bags for the garden, sand and water table, dolls house, happy street people and track

Think that's enough! Very uncomfortable with a 2 1/2 year old playing on a ds all the time. I am all for a bit of playing together on a pc but a ds is not something I would give him
    I dont give him it. The parent brings it in his bag and as she leaves i slyly take it out of his bag and lock it in the porch and he forgets that he even has it with him! The thing is hes actually really good on it so he's obviously had it for a while too. Some parents have no idea!

Nov 07
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by littlesprogs View Post
    I dont give him it. The parent brings it in his bag and as she leaves i slyly take it out of his bag and lock it in the porch and he forgets that he even has it with him! The thing is hes actually really good on it so he's obviously had it for a while too. Some parents have no idea!
    Sorry, I meant as a parent i wouldn't give it to him but yes you are right some parents have no idea. For the children it is just a case of what they are used to. I do the same with dummies. As soon as mum is gone the dummy goes in the bag and the first thing mum does when she gets here is stick it in babies mouth. Sorry off at a tangent!

Dec 07
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

If my son was 21/2 and could play on a ds i would give it him but not all the time as down time maybe...

then id get him on the pc the earlyer they learn computers the better these days..
    Mum of 1 step mum of 3 Loving life.

Nov 03
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

musical instruments, cars and tarin sets are a defo, the thomas aquar draw is good, weebles.

Maybe you could take him shopping with you, make a day of it and see if anything, (other than a ds) grabs his attention.

Ebay are sometimes good for ex cond toys

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by manjay View Post
    Sorry, I meant as a parent i wouldn't give it to him but yes you are right some parents have no idea. For the children it is just a case of what they are used to. I do the same with dummies. As soon as mum is gone the dummy goes in the bag and the first thing mum does when she gets here is stick it in babies mouth. Sorry off at a tangent!

we look are 2 six year old girls who have DS
    One had a 15 year sister and a 12 year old borther
    One has a 15 year old sister and a 4 year old borther - the 4 year old borther i knwo plays on it somtimes, but i know his mum wouldnt allow them on it all time anyways.

we have 2 gameboys for the children to play on but are nly for afterschool school only

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by topchick_dav View Post
    musical instruments, cars and tarin sets are a defo, the thomas aquar draw is good, weebles.

Maybe you could take him shopping with you, make a day of it and see if anything, (other than a ds) grabs his attention.

Ebay are sometimes good for ex cond toys
    I wish i could take him with me but unfortunately i dont drive so i have to wait till hubby is available and he works all week and i only have the little boy 3 days during the week so it is abit awkward. I have tried getting him to point things out in the argos catalogue but he only points to things that are too old for him lol.

Dec 07
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

How about cutting out pictures of the sorts of toys you think he would like and asking him to stick his favorite ones on a piece of paper like a shopping list?

JUNE 05
    Latest Inspection Grade
    GOOD
    Post Thanks / Like

this is a great toy my 20yr old had it years ago and then it done my 16 and 14 yr old before i got rid of it. I have just got a set off ebat for my little one as they can have so much fun with it.
    http://www.elc.co.uk/toy-42716
    "Shoot for the moon. Even if you miss, you'll land among the stars."

Feb 04
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good Apr 15
    Post Thanks / Like

I have found the little boy I look after loves playing kitchen, dolls and pushchairs, dressing up all the things he wouldn't have at home

don't stick only to 'boys' toys! pop up tunnels stay out for days at a time in this house, as well up the pop up houses, with some teddies, blankets and books

hth

2.5 with ds is shocking tbh, my son 6 is only just working out his dads psp

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast